Prospect Info: At 19th Overall the Predators Select Fyodor Svechkov

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yeah, clearly he's not ready for the NHL yet and Milwaukee is loaded even without him next year.

Not the end of the world if he spends a year or two still in Russia before making the transition. Ultimately, that might cost him a year as he can't get acclimated to the smaller ice or NA in general.

I'm still very high on him and consider him our best prospect behind Askarov.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Multiple times we've seen guys come over from the KHL or other overseas leagues and need at least a year to acclimate to NA ice and rink sizes. He also needs to learn our system and such, so yes it does matter.

We drafted this guy in the 1st round, he's a massive asset at this point. If he's staying in Russia until 23, we definitely missed on this pick and just emphasizes it was not worth the time/energy to draft a Russian prospect and was a waste of a 1st round pick to add to the pile of issues.

Indoctrination into the Russian ideal/belief system is started at an early age. Any prospect we get, will have these exact same issues. Scouting is hard to do there. We have issues with the required military service. Especially if the player isn't well-liked by the government. We have issues where we pay them the same or less to play here for the AHL when they could make the same money playing at home with family present in the KHL. That's a lot of problems to deal with, if the talent isn't generational or a game-breaker, I don't see the need to try to draft a Russian player. I think Askarov might be the best story we've ever had with a Russian prospect, he only got here earlier because Putin considers him like a son and wanted him to go make it big in the NHL.
Same in the US. Lets stop the Russia bashing...its getting old. Literally every European country has mandatory conscription as well.

I do agree with drafting a Russian player, they need to be close to NHL ready though

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, clearly he's not ready for the NHL yet and Milwaukee is loaded even without him next year.

Not the end of the world if he spends a year or two still in Russia before making the transition. Ultimately, that might cost him a year as he can't get acclimated to the smaller ice or NA in general.

I'm still very high on him and consider him our best prospect behind Askarov.
Agreed... my only mild worry with him staying a couple extra years in Russia is that doing so will result in him becoming more like Chistyakov... he WILL then be a top-6 forward in the KHL in 2 more years, and then the money he can make there WILL be more than an ELC here.

It's not a concern wrt development. And he's probably privileged enough that he won't be conscripted. But I'd rather have him progressing on his ELC here, while the money is about equal, to remove that worry down the road.

Reactions: Scoresberg

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
As long as he isnt jerked around, im fine with him spending more time in russia. I just havent liked how he has been thrown around positionally and league. Id rather him be in Milwaukee where we can get a better bead on him from a development aspect and he can start working on the smaller ice.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
As long as he isnt jerked around, im fine with him spending more time in russia. I just havent liked how he has been thrown around positionally and league. Id rather him be in Milwaukee where we can get a better bead on him from a development aspect and he can start working on the smaller ice.
Just fwiw, KHL moved to NHL size ice surfaces a few years back. I don't know if there are any rinks left there that have olympic size ice anymore. It was only Kunlun and Riga at one point that still did, but I suspect everybody has changed by now.

It's probably still valid to want to change for "stylistic" reasons, though, because the NA style is still different, even if the ice size is the same now.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Just fwiw, KHL moved to NHL size ice surfaces a few years back. I don't know if there are any rinks left there that have olympic size ice anymore. It was only Kunlun and Riga at one point that still did, but I suspect everybody has changed by now.

It's probably still valid to want to change for "stylistic" reasons, though, because the NA style is still different, even if the ice size is the same now.
Oh neat. Didnt realize that. Would still rather have him in our direct pipeline but thats one less thing that would inhibit him coming over here

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I say the more the merrier in Milwaukee. The talent will show. I'd much prefer to get him here, learning our system under Taylor, learning the expectations of what a full time NHL'er will be.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would be shocked to see Taylor in the AHL next year.
Whatever the typical salary for an NHL assistant coach is, probably $200-400k, I would say: offer Taylor more than that to stay as our AHL HC again next year. $500,000 to stay in Milwaukee. Make it an offer too good to refuse. Make him the highest paid AHL coach.

He has to know his chances still aren't bad here. Hynes may start the year, but he's on thin ice.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Whatever the typical salary for an NHL assistant coach is, probably $200-400k, I would say: offer Taylor more than that to stay as our AHL HC again next year. $500,000 to stay in Milwaukee. Make it an offer too good to refuse. Make him the highest paid AHL coach.

He has to know his chances still aren't bad here. Hynes may start the year, but he's on thin ice.
That's only helpful if Trotz considers him his coach in waiting. No point in doing this if he's got someone else in mind if Hynes fails.

And if he does have Taylor in mind he should go ahead and hire him as an assistant in Nashville rather than leaving him in Milwaukee

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That's only helpful if Trotz considers him his coach in waiting. No point in doing this if he's got someone else in mind if Hynes fails.

And if he does have Taylor in mind he should go ahead and hire him as an assistant in Nashville rather than leaving him in Milwaukee
No, I disagree. Because to me, assuming Hynes is "in" as our HC to start next season in Nashville, then where I want Taylor is in Milwaukee, not also in Nashville.

I want him in Milwaukee doing his thing with our next batch of prospects. Turning Kemell, Schafer, L'Heureux, hopefully Svechkov into NHL options. Keeping up what he's doing with Askarov. And so on down the line with the rest of our prospects, or anybody like Evangelista who gets sent back.

And it really has no bearing on whether he's considered "coach in waiting" or not. If he is, great, if he's not, well that's dumb, but either way I still want him coaching these prospects, given his recent track record. And I'd pay him a premium to keep doing so, rather than risk losing him to either another AHL outfit or to an NHL assistantship in another city.

The only catch is if Taylor himself simply doesn't want to do that, and doesn't care about the extra money I've put on the table. If he would rather work as an NHL assistant for a traditional NHL assistant salary, then ok, sure. But that's half the salary I'd pay him to be Milwaukee HC.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro

Edit: my comment was regarding Hynes. Not dragging that conversation into this thread. “

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Honestly if he waits until he’s 23 or 24 then he could be another Kaprizov situation where he’s a more mature and polished player when he comes over, or he could get comfortable playing in Russia and never leave.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Was just going to post that. It's May 1st, which is apparently when KHL contracts officially expire, so those guys are now free to sign. And Chibrikov and Svechkov have been following eachother around a bit, from SKA and traded together to Spartak.

We should probably expect to hear very soon, one way or the other, about Svechkov. :crossfing

Reactions: Scoresberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad