Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Time to throw your stick on the pile!

Deadline to join: Wednesday, January 25th

Draft to begin with draft order: Friday, January 27th.

Draft clock to begin Monday, January 30th noon Eastern (24-hour first round).

1. tiny zombies & Stanky Marmalade - San Francisco Rink Rats
2. Professor What & Hitru - Gallifrey TARDIS
3. Leaf Lander - Toronto Maple Leafs
4. Johnny Engine & spitsfan24 - Windsor Spitfires
5. VanIslander - Chesapeake Icebreakers
6. ResilientBeast & rmartin65 - Vancouver Millionaires
7. Claude the Fraude - Peterborough Petes
8. BlueBleeder - St. Louis Eagles
9. ImportExporter - Saskatoon Sheiks
10. The Macho King - Richmond Renegades
11. nabby12 & ChiTownPhilly - Gimli Whisky Thieves
12. BraveCanadian & TheDevilMadeMe - Guelph Platers
13. RustyRazor - Portland Stags
14. overpass - Ottawa 67's
15. tony d - Brantford Alexanders
16. Hawkey Town 18 - Chicago Shamrocks
17. Habsfan18 & Transplanted Caper - Nova Scotia Voyageurs
18. Tom Seaver & Dr Pepper - Trois-Rivieres Lions
19. Sturminator - Seattle Metropolitans
------
(Please consider co-GMing if another wants to join. But no Mickey Mouse moves. A deadline has always been a deadline around here. Get your own team if you want. If we end up with 17 (not 18), i'll step out and just run the draft)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'll GM the pro hockey team, the...

Chesapeake Icebreakers​

They were coached by NHL enforcer Chris Nilan, who had won the 1986 Stanley Cup on a scoring line, with 32 shots and a staggering 141 PIMs in 18 playoff games. :)

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
San Francisco Rink Rats
1672779531873.png

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I'll start harassing people (Friendly of course) via PM during my lunch break

Edit: Sent to all the GMs I can PM from last year

Last edited:

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
There were 20 GMs in the last all-time draft.
It'd be nice to match or exceed it.

Draft order idea: Let GMs "request" a draft position by chunks:
i) EARLY in the draft order
ii) MIDDLE
iii) LATE
iv) no preference

It should be easy to accommodate these requests, given how preferences differ.

Wanna attract new(er) GMs?!?

Let the first timers pick their draft-slots first. [Multiple first-timers will have their selection-order randomized- preferably by a non-playing assistant (e.g.: the person we'd typically assign to tally votes).]

Then, those who've only participated one or two times may select their slot next. Then, participants who've participated ≥3 times but have never been finalists (for instance). Then, the pool of finalists. Then the sub-set of champions, Then, the sub-set of multiple champions.

I would consider treating both ATD & OPPF as participation events. Therefore, your humble dilettante would fall into the category of "participated ≥3 times, but never a finalist."

it's unclear whether I'll participate- but (for reasons that will reveal themselves later), I'm no longer hosed by the time-suck of perpetual workplace overtime... so I'm holding out hope.

I suggest this in a quest to keep ATD from circling the drain any further...

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm in.

Montreal Canadiens.

Let the first timers pick their draft-slots first. [Multiple first-timers will have their selection-order randomized- preferably by a non-playing assistant (e.g.: the person we'd typically assign to tally votes).]

Then, those who've only participated one or two times may select their slot next. Then, participants who've participated ≥3 times but have never been finalists (for instance). Then, the pool of finalists. Then the sub-set of champions, Then, the sub-set of multiple champions.

I would consider treating both ATD & OPPF as participation events. Therefore, your humble dilettante would fall into the category of "participated ≥3 times, but never a finalist."

it's unclear whether I'll participate- but (for reasons that will reveal themselves later), I'm no longer hosed by the time-suck of perpetual workplace overtime... so I'm holding out hope.

I'm cool with that idea.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York

I'd suggest we simply let new GMs pick their draft slots, and put everyone else into a random pool. Anything more creates not only unnecessary complexity, but also a disincentive for returning GMs

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Most of us agree (?)- any newcomer should be permitted to choose a draft-slot before any returning participant. How about one-timers like @ProfessorWhat? I'm fine with him picking his draft-slot before me. If 3-time (or so) champions feel as though Professor should be competing under the same drafting strictures as the multiple-winners, then I'm gonna hafta disagree, there.

Sort of a balancing game, here- if the multiple-winners all wind up with (relatively) middle-of-pack draft positions, will they really take their collective puck-bags and go home?!? Contrarily, how many infrequent participants are on-the-sidelines, wondering if they should even bother?!

From 2010 to the four years out from that date, ATD averaged 33½ teams
The next four years, ATD averaged (to the nearest whole number) 28 teams
The four years after that: 22 GMs/GM-teams
Then, last year, we had 18 teams, the least ever

We should be most welcoming to new-arrivals, granted. But we should also be somewhat welcoming to the prodigals and infrequent participants, too. The trend-line shows clearly enough where this is going if we do otherwise.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Most of us agree (?)- any newcomer should be permitted to choose a draft-slot before any returning participant. How about one-timers like @ProfessorWhat? I'm fine with him picking his draft-slot before me. If 3-time (or so) champions feel as though Professor should be competing under the same drafting strictures as the multiple-winners, then I'm gonna hafta disagree, there.

Sort of a balancing game, here- if the multiple-winners all wind up with (relatively) middle-of-pack draft positions, will they really take their collective puck-bags and go home?!? Contrarily, how many infrequent participants are on-the-sidelines, wondering if they should even bother?!

From 2010 to the four years out from that date, ATD averaged 33½ teams
The next four years, ATD averaged (to the nearest whole number) 28 teams
The four years after that: 22 GMs/GM-teams
Then, last year, we had 18 teams, the least ever

We should be most welcoming to new-arrivals, granted. But we should also be somewhat welcoming to the prodigals and infrequent participants, too. The trend-line shows clearly enough where this is going if we do otherwise.

Sure, give them the slot they want.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I don't think draft position is the biggest deterrent. I think not having proper tools to participate might be. Maybe a primer thread on the draft and how to use the tools?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I'm most likely out again this year but I agree with @tinyzombies that it is very intimidating for new people to join because of the vast time investment the regulars have made over the years. I knew a fair bit of hockey history before my first draft and it was still a firehose of info.. especially on early era players which I still don't know that well to this day tbh.

My suggestion would be to offer up as many long time participants as possible as co-GMs for newcomers or maybe a standing team of people who are former participants as an advisory resource for new GMs that they can call on for advice throughout the draft. Feedback on strategies, pick lists, suggestions on who to take, why, where to find information, where to research etc. A kind of mentorship resource.

Besides that the biggest thing is to get out of the history board and advertise! There is a lot of ignorance in the general boards and, sure, you take the chance of some people disappearing if it turns out they don't like it.. but taking the chance is the only way to get new faces and perspectives into the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad