ATD 2024 (sign-up thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
How come Crosby only gets picked 11/12th? I have his case for 5th all time as pretty strong and it seems like a two way center with no real weaknesses is a nice fit for this game.

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Tagging in at the eleventh hour as the Cleveland Barons

325.jpg

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Interesting, I thought an elite C would have higher priority for people than eg. wingers but I guess the scarcity angle cancels it out
That's the whole game- there are different ways to build a team. It also depends what pick you draw. Some use the depth in centermen as a way to build the rest of their team first. Some load up on dmen early. Some go for natural pairs that occurred in real life and measure out which ones they could get seeing as your next pick could be 20 spots away. Etc. And you're building a team that essentially has to win in the playoffs too. But the overarching concern will be the history of the players - the best career vs their own era - measured against the gaps of others versus THEIR own eras. Sometimes a player is so great - like Orr or Mario - that their peaks will stack up against a long, storied career like Gretzky's or Howe's. Don't forget special teams... and goalies and coaches are very important too.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Everyone wants a great 1C, 1W, 1D.

In a 20-team draft, the 20th options based on last year's order would be Newsy Lalonde or Ted Kennedy at C, Bure or Recchi at RW. The drop off at D and G are even greater.

In building teams, trade-offs are made. Build solid lines and pairings, matching G and coach to the team's style ( eg., Brodeur and Hasek need very different teamplay in front of them). Cite historical chemistry, like how Brett Hull had best performed with a pass-heavy pivot whereas Bathgate and Kane were prolific passers from the wing position.

Most GMs want either a great 1D or above average 2Ds on the first pairing; a powerplay point shot, penalty killers, backchecking on most if not all lines, etc.

Imagine assembling a great regular season and playoff team; not loosy goosy all-star game play line combinations: eg., Ovechkin - Esposito - Bossy.

Reactions: tinyzombies

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
How come Crosby only gets picked 11/12th? I have his case for 5th all time as pretty strong and it seems like a two way center with no real weaknesses is a nice fit for this game.
So if I'm picking 5th and 35th (ish), I can either have something like Bourque/Yzerman or Crosby/Cleghorn. The relative drop off from Cs isn't as big as it is for D (even though I adore Cleghorn for the record.).

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
So if I'm picking 5th and 35th (ish), I can either have something like Bourque/Yzerman or Crosby/Cleghorn. The relative drop off from Cs isn't as big as it is for D (even though I adore Cleghorn for the record.).
Taking the best player available doesn’t always work. You have to think about position scarcity too. And after you’re picking if you are missing a right handed shot for your powerplay or a rh center… etc…

Back to the original question, this is why dmen rise in the rankings. Also there are 7 elite goalies. So if you don’t get one you better have a stellar team d and blueline. But then you have to work that much harder to make sure you have depth scoring .. you can look at how past winners were built and how many teams were in that draft and then go read some of the series summaries.

The best part is when everything settles in as lines on the teams and players are revealed from the past to belong alongside stars you are more aware of.

Reactions: VanIslander

Hitru

Jan 17, 2019
Harvey at 5 is the most common pick if I would have to guess. After drop from big 4 elite D goes fast

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I don't have time to be a co-GM, but if any of the newer GMs need advice, they can PM me. Things are extremely busy at work over the next couple of months, but I'll try my best to reply. (HFBoards can be a good diversion during long days in front of the computer).

Credentials: 2 time ATD winner, 1-time runner-up, good guy (99% of the time according to my mother, 51% of the time according to my wife)

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
If we are giving advice here-

The ATD is, in general, rough on current players. I won't get into whether that is right or wrong, and I do think the trend is changing a bit, but it is still something I try to remain conscious of. For example, if I am torn between two players and one of them is still playing, I'll usually go with the older guy.

Additionally, I like to keep in mind that the ATD is a balancing game between how I personally view players and how I think the other GMs value the players. I may think player X is better than player Y, but if the community feels the opposite, I need to make the decision on whether or not I'll have time to change minds during debates and the voting rounds.

Following that line of thought, however, I do recommend being cautious when making arguments, especially if you plan on sticking around for more than 1 draft. People obviously change their opinions on players for a variety of reasons, but previous opinions offered on players may be brought up later, and it is probably best to have some reason for any discrepancies. I, for example, can probably never draft a particular Chicago center due to some things that I have said both here in the ATD and on the HoH board in the past (and I stand by them!).

Elvis P

Chips from the chocolate fireball
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
... I, for example, can probably never draft a particular Chicago center due to some things that I have said both here in the ATD and on the HoH board in the past (and I stand by them!).
Since we don't know who you're talking about, you "stand by them!" means a lot.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Since we don't know who you're talking about, you "stand by them!" means a lot.
I had originally typed out the name then didn’t know if we were doing the no-undrafteds thing yet. In any case, I imagine several people know who I’m referring to, even if you don’t.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I had originally typed out the name then didn’t know if we were doing the no-undrafteds thing yet. In any case, I imagine several people know who I’m referring to, even if you don’t.
Mikita. My son is coming home and I'm in a very good mood.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

The ATD is, in general, rough on current players. I won't get into whether that is right or wrong, and I do think the trend is changing a bit, but it is still something I try to remain conscious of. For example, if I am torn between two players and one of them is still playing, I'll usually go with the older guy.

Additionally, I like to keep in mind that the ATD is a balancing game between how I personally view players and how I think the other GMs value the players. I may think player X is better than player Y, but if the community feels the opposite, I need to make the decision on whether or not I'll have time to change minds during debates and the voting rounds.

Following that line of thought, however, I do recommend being cautious when making arguments, especially if you plan on sticking around for more than 1 draft. People obviously change their opinions on players for a variety of reasons, but previous opinions offered on players may be brought up later, and it is probably best to have some reason for any discrepancies. I, for example, can probably never draft a particular Chicago center due to some things that I have said both here in the ATD and on the HoH board in the past (and I stand by them!).

Then you have me being a dummy and going to bat for some players that I know others aren’t as keen on.. ask me how that turned out lol..

But sometimes you get to promote someone up like I did for a while with Kopi.. or find new research on guys like Apps or Hextall etc. that really makes losing a little more bearable lol (but not really)

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Then you have me being a dummy and going to bat for some players that I know others aren’t as keen on.. ask me how that turned out lol ...
I know you're just joking (like I have been in my posts in this thread this morning) but you've never been a dummy and I just sent you imho a funny pm.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Honestly I've never seen such strong opinions about Denis Savard.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Then you have me being a dummy and going to bat for some players that I know others aren’t as keen on.. ask me how that turned out lol..

But sometimes you get to promote someone up like I did for a while with Kopi.. or find new research on guys like Apps or Hextall etc. that really makes losing a little more bearable lol (but not really)

Are you playing? Would be great having you back.

Reactions: VanIslander
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad