Not open for further replies.

Elvis P

Chips from the chocolate fireball
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
225px-David_Carradine_as_Caine_from_Kung_Fu_-_c._1972%E2%80%931975.jpg
225px-Phillip_ahn_as_kan.JPG
225px-Keye_Luke_Master_Po_Kung_Fu.JPG

I am your humble servant, Kwai Chang Caine. I'm not macho or a king, but I dispatch such men easily. Here's a list of their favorite bands:

Air Supply
Barry Manilow
Bee Gees
Captain and Tennile
The Carpenters
Chicago
Lionel Richie
Little River Band
Michael Bolton
Phil Collins

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Just for the record.
I feel shame and sorry for what my country is doing now.
That's not for the discussion, please.

The world knows there are many like you in your nation. The events happening right now are of archaic ideology and will be repelled in the long run.

Like Johnny said, we're glad to see you around and are happy to have you in any capacity.

Reactions: Namba 17

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Just for the record.

I had the opportunity to go to Saint Petersburg several years ago, and I have nothing but the highest opinion of the Russian people. People and their governments aren't the same. I for one don't associate you or the Russian people as a whole with your government.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
My father escaped Soviet-occupied Hungary during the failed 1956 Revolt. In Canada he would have several Russian, Ukrainian and Polish friends, but he would get up from the table, smile and say "I'm going to give a message to the Russian premier" then walk to the bathroom. ;) His friends would laugh. (Imagine how offended his friends would get if they were of these days?)

He always separated governments from individuals. And he refused to talk politics. Just say what you gotta say then change the topic. His generation was different than today, where everything is political, debated, emotional, divisive.

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyzombies

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I just want to get something off my chest. I've long been fascinated by the history of the Russian Empire and Soviet Union. As much as I enjoy studying it though, it also angers me when I realize how much people in those nations suffered and how so many of them continue to do so today. Right now, the Ukrainian people are having to deal with the threat of a foreign invasion through no fault of their own, and many Russians are having hate thrown at them that they've done nothing to deserve. In your online interactions today, if you come across someone from either of those countries who are dealing with that horror, take a moment to offer some encouragement. I know there's little we can do overall, but let's give the encouragement we can.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I just want to get something off my chest. I've long been fascinated by the history of the Russian Empire and Soviet Union. As much as I enjoy studying it though, it also angers me when I realize how much people in those nations suffered and how so many of them continue to do so today. Right now, the Ukrainian people are having to deal with the threat of a foreign invasion through no fault of their own, and many Russians are having hate thrown at them that they've done nothing to deserve. In your online interactions today, if you come across someone from either of those countries who are dealing with that horror, take a moment to offer some encouragement. I know there's little we can do overall, but let's give the encouragement we can.

the majority of Russians are blaming the US for the invasion tho...

In other news, theKraken hired the organist from Slapshot.

there is this tho:

274778968_320168246803887_3448443025109093518_n.jpg

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
the majority of Russians are blaming the US for the invasion tho...

In other news, theKraken hired the organist from Slapshot.

there is this tho:

274778968_320168246803887_3448443025109093518_n.jpg

I know there's a lot of stuff out there saying Russians are blaming others, but it frequently traces back to Russian state run media, which is clearly not to be trusted, as it's going to show what the government wants to be seen. But there's also the fact that those who get their information from said media aren't getting the full story, and if their perspective is wrong, that could play a big role. Also, polling out of Russia is generally distrusted with good reason.

What's really bothering me in relation to the people of Russia is something that we've already seen in this thread, a Russian who is not at all to blame feeling shame over something beyond their control, and the pure hate that's being launched at Russians who merely have an internet presence. I've seen one guy from Russia put up videos about that, trying to reassure people that he and many other Russians aren't in favor of this because so much vitriol has been aimed at him over it. I've seen a post from a Russian woman who was asking if she should continue to upload her travel videos because of hateful comments she's been receiving, and I've seen a video from a woman who teaches Russian on YouTube who was literally brought to tears because of the feeling of shame she has and the hate that has been aimed at her. Those are people who are taking a risk by saying anything, and the people at the rally you referenced definitely are.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that there are a lot of people in those countries hurting because of decisions they have no control over. My interest in that part of the world has made it feel more pointed for me than it otherwise would, and I want to do what I can to encourage the innocents. I feel deep sorrow for those who are being driven from their homes or fear they might be in danger as well as those who are being unfairly lumped in with the real villains.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Just for the record.
Similarly to (presumably) Jonathan E, I want to keep HF Boards discussions away from the shoals of geopolitical discourse. I join Mr. E in being grateful that you're still around- even if it has the feeling of re-encountering a happily-remembered family relative under funereal circumstances.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I know there's a lot of stuff out there saying Russians are blaming others, but it frequently traces back to Russian state run media, which is clearly not to be trusted, as it's going to show what the government wants to be seen. But there's also the fact that those who get their information from said media aren't getting the full story, and if their perspective is wrong, that could play a big role. Also, polling out of Russia is generally distrusted with good reason.

What's really bothering me in relation to the people of Russia is something that we've already seen in this thread, a Russian who is not at all to blame feeling shame over something beyond their control, and the pure hate that's being launched at Russians who merely have an internet presence. I've seen one guy from Russia put up videos about that, trying to reassure people that he and many other Russians aren't in favor of this because so much vitriol has been aimed at him over it. I've seen a post from a Russian woman who was asking if she should continue to upload her travel videos because of hateful comments she's been receiving, and I've seen a video from a woman who teaches Russian on YouTube who was literally brought to tears because of the feeling of shame she has and the hate that has been aimed at her. Those are people who are taking a risk by saying anything, and the people at the rally you referenced definitely are.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that there are a lot of people in those countries hurting because of decisions they have no control over. My interest in that part of the world has made it feel more pointed for me than it otherwise would, and I want to do what I can to encourage the innocents. I feel deep sorrow for those who are being driven from their homes or fear they might be in danger as well as those who are being unfairly lumped in with the real villains.

Lots of Russians in the street and they have lots more to risk by doing that than we do.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
This got many listens on the numerous deployments across the Middle East, SW Asia, and occasionally NE Africa.

I've seen Tool and APC a number of times over the last 2 decades. They never fail to put on a fantastic performance.

Reactions: Johnny Engine

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Just for the record.
For what it's worth, I felt the same way in 2003, and I participated in that stupid invasion.

It is a terrible shame, and my sympathies go out to everyone (including normal Russian citizens, athletes, etc.) caught up in the dick-waving of demagogues.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
This got many listens on the numerous deployments across the Middle East, SW Asia, and occasionally NE Africa.

I've seen Tool and APC a number of times over the last 2 decades. They never fail to put on a fantastic performance.

Great songs, but even better sounding album. The music I make has gone entirely in the opposite direction from that early aughts sound, with the scooped guitars and attack-heavy bass, but damned if some of the slickest sounding records ever didn't come out of that era.

I've noticed that military guys seem to like Tool as much as computer programmers like King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. It's a real thing and I wonder how many professions seem to show different musical tendencies.
I'm a graphic designer by trade and for a lot of people that's a code word for "hipster", haha, but I also know half the designers in this city come from the music scene, with a wide range of genres represented. Off the top of my head, three of the more sucessful designers here include a classically trained opera singer who found success doing acoustic folk, a pop-rock singer who also plays in wedding bands, and a guy in a doom metal band.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Great songs, but even better sounding album. The music I make has gone entirely in the opposite direction from that early aughts sound, with the scooped guitars and attack-heavy bass, but damned if some of the slickest sounding records ever didn't come out of that era.

I've noticed that military guys seem to like Tool as much as computer programmers like King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. It's a real thing and I wonder how many professions seem to show different musical tendencies.
I'm a graphic designer by trade and for a lot of people that's a code word for "hipster", haha, but I also know half the designers in this city come from the music scene, with a wide range of genres represented. Off the top of my head, three of the more successful designers here include a classically trained opera singer who found success doing acoustic folk, a pop-rock singer who also plays in wedding bands, and a guy in a doom metal band.

I echo your observations, certainly. I'm a sucker for a heavy bass line.

I'm very anti-war at this point of my life. Obviously a stark contrast to a young, naive, and much easier taken soul coming directly off the heels of, cough, a bullshit terrorist attack by people who couldn't even operate a single engine Cessna, cough, leading to a crusade against brown people halfway around the world, namely to make a handful of people very, very, rich while more importantly distracting from the implementation of an Orwellian surveillance state we now all live under (end political talk).

Maynard is an absolute lyrical genius and Tool specifically really resonated with me from a sonic standpoint in my late teens/20's, and have had staying power to this day for me personally. As I've told you offline, I love songwriting, especially the lyrical side of things. I do write quite a bit of poetry as a hobby in my spare time as well as short stories (slowly writing a Star Wars novel). I gravitate towards songs/bands that obviously have an appealing sound to the ear, but also combines with a written message that gets you down the rabbit hole and few artists do this better than Maynard, IMHO.

There aren't a lot of bands/artist from the late 90's/early 2000's that I have kept a high regard for. They are certainly one.

I'm much more connected at the soul level to the 60's and 70's era of music, be it rock, blues, jazz, funk, etc. That's just my evolution as a music lover and guitar player. 15-20 years ago, I was very much into hard rock/metal and played a lot of drop tuning and fast, power chord type progressions. I still mess around with altered tuning from time to time but generally stay in standard these days and let my pedal board get me to more abstract places.

But make no mistake, I greatly enjoy just about any genre/era of music and have been influenced greatly by many different artists, from a wide ranging time period.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Moderators, any idea if this migration affects any of our historical posts in this section?

The last time we asked was on occasion of one of the previous migration attempts and I've lost track of those over the months and years, but back then the idea basically was: "It shouldn't affect any prior posts. But don't sue us if it does. But it really shouldn't affect any prior posts."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad