Tennis: Australian Open 2024

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Raducanu looked damn good beating Shelby Rogers 3 and 2. There's no denying the girl's got talent. I don't know if it is top five talent, but I see no reason why she couldn't make a good run at the top ten if she stays healthy (one of the biggest "ifs" in sports).

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fernandez looks passive and unclutch blowing a break lead on the way to losing the first set 7-5 to Parks.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Fernandez looks passive and unclutch blowing a break lead on the way to losing the first set 7-5 to Parks.
I like Parks. When she gets her game going she can be damn good.

The big serves and big hitting gives trouble to Fernandez.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
16 years old, Alina Korneeva is also gonna be one to watch. She’s playing Haddad Maia later during the night.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Mystifying performance by Fernandez; I don't think I have ever seen her play that listlessly. Never found any kind of rhythm against Parks, a player who herself was piling up carloads of unforced errors.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Di Minaur and Sinner each lose a total of only six games in their respective straight set wins. I actually thought Arnaldi might give Demon a tough time, but Alex's confidence is soaring right now.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fritz, whose confidence has seemed a little fragile lately, gets a big boost in that department with a ridiculously easy win over the mercilessly underpowered Gaston love, 3 and 1. Taylor averaged nearly two outright winners per game.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In a match that looked like it would be over in three sets, Shelton, who took the first two sets handily, has now gifted a break to O'Connell in the fourth set, the result of too many sloppy and wholly avoidable mistakes, 4-3...and then he breaks right back to even the set.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Shelton takes the fourth set breaker for the match. So many mental mistakes but so much talent to overcome them. Fun to watch.

Van Assche, the other French youngster, shows off his defensive skills defeating Musetti in five sets, the final set at love.

Oct 18, 2006
Djokovic looks terrible, again. Wrist must be an issue because he isn’t hitting with any ferocity at all. 1 set all to Popyrin of all people.

Reactions: John Price

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Djokovic looks terrible, again. Wrist must be an issue because he isn’t hitting with any ferocity at all. 1 set all to Popyrin of all people.
Even with the sore wrist, he'll be a huge favourite against Etcheverry. But then comes a potential string of Shelton, Fritz, Sinner, and Alcaraz. His wrist will need to improve dramatically for Nole to survive that line up.

Reactions: Filppula

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Been listening to Kyrgios work with the McEnroes in the booth and have to say the guy is a natural. He provides great insight and opinions into the broadcasts with his knowledge of all the players on tour.
Definitely has a career after his playing days if he wants!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Djokovic looks beatable. Can he make it another 5 unscathed?

His next match I think he’ll win because he’s too good for the opponent, but then he could start facing opponents that could beat him.
Shelton takes the fourth set breaker for the match. So many mental mistakes but so much talent to overcome them. Fun to watch.
I was watching this match. I think O’Connell played out of his mind for like an hour. Shelton made a few mistakes, but I think he wins this in three and it doesn’t go to a tiebreaker in the fourth without O’Connell playing at a level he doesn’t normally.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Collins blew a 3-1 lead in the first set to Swiatek who won it 6-4. Collins is out to a 5-1 lead in the second set, but just has been broken for 5-2. Danielle is wound so incredibly tight, as usual, that the odds are about 50/50 that she will blow this lead, too.

Collins holds at love for the set as Swiatek can't put the ball in play. Hard to imagine Collins actually winning the third set, but she has done well to get this far.

For the third consecutive set, Collins breaks first 2-1....man, Danielle is really going for her shots, 3-1. I keep waiting for Iga to take control but it is not happening yet.....yikes, another double break for Collins as Iga is caving under pressure at the moment, 4-1.....Collins broken at love, very weak service game, 4-2....Iga recovers from love-40 on serve, 4-3....Danielle invariably tightens and we are all ever at 4-all....Collins falling apart, 5-4 with Danielle to serve. Could be the ball game right here....and it is. Iga breaks to take the set and the match 6-4.

Credit Iga with playing well enough to hang in there until Collins crumbled. But Swiatek looked nothing like a world beater tonight.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In a surprisingly one-sided first set, Tommy Paul's game is absolutely flowing, just beautiful tennis that seems somehow both athletic and effortless at the same time, 6-2.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Alex Michelsen is the next young American we'll start hearing more about. He's 19 for another 7 months. Took out the in-form Lehecka in four today. He's the second youngest still left in the draw, and the youngest through to the third round. He's 91 now in the rankings. 73 in the live rankings.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Carlos takes the first set 6-4. No magic in evidence because no magic required. Sonego is about as threatening as a chicken.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Draper recovers to take the second set from Paul, 6-3. Could be a dandy the rest of the way.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
With Carlos not exactly firing on all cylinders, Sonego gets the set to a breaker and then outplays Carlos to take it 7-3. Obviously, did not see this coming.

Oct 18, 2006
Sonego takes the first set with a near flawless TB filled with terrific controlled aggression.

With Carlos not exactly firing on all cylinders, Sonego gets the set to a breaker and then outplays Carlos to take it 7-3. Obviously, did not see this coming.
I feel like everyone is struggling, the exception probably Sinner. Feel like all the top dogs have lost sets they wouldn’t have been predicted to. Can’t put my finger on why exactly.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Huge upset on the women's side as Burel of France knocks of Pegula in straight sets. That generation of women's players is really getting clobbered so far this tournament.

Alcaraz off to a quick 2-love start in the third set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad