Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Kovalenko to 2-year deal

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Excited and nervous about this! Kovalenko took a couple of dumb penalities last game but also scored. Good offensive instincts but has he adjusted to the north american game?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He didn't jump out too much during the game, but I did see him make a really nice defensive play to tie up a stick and prevent a grade A scoring chance in front of the net, and he did a good job rotating in to cover for pinching defensemen, which means he's already starting to get familiar with the system. Hopefully once he gets used to the speed he can start to do something offensively.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
He's willing to block shots, hits, and plays responsible. Keep him in the lineup until Landy is back.

Reactions: katfude

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I thought he was dismal last night and the worst player on the Avs (Wood gets an HM here). If he plays like that, he won't stay in the lineup. I'd pass it off as first game jitters and generally just not used to things... so give him another shot for game 5, but can't have a repeat performance.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I thought he was dismal last night and the worst player on the Avs (Wood gets an HM here). If he plays like that, he won't stay in the lineup. I'd pass it off as first game jitters and generally just not used to things... so give him another shot for game 5, but can't have a repeat performance.
This isn't really a fair assessment. He was fine, the only real mistake he made is getting walked by Morrissey who happens to be one of the better dmen in the league so I think I'll give him a pass on that.

Other than that he wasn't really too noticeable so that typically means not many mistakes. Which is all I'm asking him to do. Not f*** up too much.

The worst player in the game by a country mile was 96. He was absolute crap again. Wood was also among the worst players.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I barely noticed him in the game. He was fairly invisible.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
This isn't really a fair assessment. He was fine, the only real mistake he made is getting walked by Morrissey who happens to be one of the better dmen in the league so I think I'll give him a pass on that.

Other than that he wasn't really too noticeable so that typically means not many mistakes. Which is all I'm asking him to do. Not f*** up too much.

The worst player in the game by a country mile was 96. He was absolute crap again. Wood was also among the worst players.

There was not a single shot attempt for during his entire 7 minutes on the ice (no other player had less than 6, Wood). It was one game and it isn't going to define his career... but a repeat of last night should have him riding the pine until next season.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
He's willing to block shots, hits, and plays responsible. Keep him in the lineup until Landy is back.

3x14_Cox_realizes.jpg

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I feel like he’d benefit from playing with Trenin and Cogs, but I think Bednar wants to keep the fourth line very defensively responsible.

The drop off from Kivi to Kovi was noticeable though. That’s not to say Kovi didn’t have a flash here or there that looked promising, but I tend to agree with Hench on him not quite being up to snuff yet.

That injury really hindered his chance to make a big impact with the squad this season, but I am still very hopeful he’ll become a good third liner.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't know what you could really expect. He found out the morning that he was actually going to be playing, had to drive down from Loveland and get ready. He said after the game he has to drive back up to Loveland and get all his stuff.

I'm sure the staff basically told him not to F up and we'll go from there. No practice, not even a morning skate, so that's an awfully difficult situation to be thrown into. The line definitely took a big step back, but you had to expect that in this situation. It didn't help that the other two weren't that much better.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
I barely noticed him in the game. He was fairly invisible.
To be fair, I feel like I heard Villardi's name maybe twice all night. I noticed Kovi making a few hits but that line wasn't exactly buzzing last night. He made a very nice stick play on defense at one point in front of our net, and that looked very veteran to me.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
What exactly are people expecting here w/ Kovalenko. The guy had 7 minutes of ice time.

I thought he looked great in his first NHL game. He tracked very well, always 2-hands on the stick, decent board battles. He had two tremendous defensive zone coverage pick-ups one of which very likely prevented a goal against. A few very nice hits.

I swear sometimes people on this board think that scoring a goal = good player, not scoring a goal = bad player. Not every offensive player is Nathan Mackinnon.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
What exactly are people expecting here w/ Kovalenko. The guy had 7 minutes of ice time.

I thought he looked great in his first NHL game. He tracked very well, always 2-hands on the stick, decent board battles. He had two tremendous defensive zone coverage pick-ups one of which very likely prevented a goal against. A few very nice hits.

I swear sometimes people on this board think that scoring a goal = good player, not scoring a goal = bad player. Not every offensive player is Nathan Mackinnon.

I'd expect to not get absolutely dominated in those 7 minutes... and you can't tell me Bednar didn't notice. Kovalenko had 3 shifts in the third and none with less than 9 minutes to go.

This isn't the end all be all, and we can give a pass due to the situation. If he plays like this in his second game though, he shouldn't play again in the playoffs. The time of the year is too important with too much at stake to have a guy who can't play 10-12 minutes dressing.

Reactions: Barklez

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019

Defensively he was passable given the circumstances of first NHL game, recent injury, unfamiliar system/linemates, and late callup. The critiques about lack of generating offence are fair.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
I'd expect to not get absolutely dominated in those 7 minutes... and you can't tell me Bednar didn't notice. Kovalenko had 3 shifts in the third and none with less than 9 minutes to go.

This isn't the end all be all, and we can give a pass due to the situation. If he plays like this in his second game though, he shouldn't play again in the playoffs. The time of the year is too important with too much at stake to have a guy who can't play 10-12 minutes dressing.
"Absolutely dominated"? What makes you say that?

I think his shifts in the 3rd period are more reflective of his spot in the line-up, being his first NHL game, other personnel available.

He played well imo. I need an example of a play he made, etc, anything as an example of why he should not play in the playoffs again.

Defensively he was passable given the circumstances of first NHL game, recent injury, unfamiliar system/linemates, and late callup. The critiques about lack of generating offence are fair.
Agreed. I would have expected at least a couple of points from him, minimum. I do feel that if a player does not generate 2+ points in their first game they are deemed useless. Get him out.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Don't think he got a single o-zone start, and was usually making quick line changes. But yes, you'd like to see more offence next game. I'll take the positive plays he made on D though

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Hench has a bone to pick with Kovalenko. He's been shitting on him all year.

Bednar had great things to say about him in his post game presser. Said he liked his minutes and was responsible and physical.

It didn't help him that Colton and Wood were extra donkeys yesterday.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
"Absolutely dominated"? What makes you say that?

I think his shifts in the 3rd period are more reflective of his spot in the line-up, being his first NHL game, other personnel available.

He played well imo. I need an example of a play he made, etc, anything as an example of why he should not play in the playoffs again.

He was out there for 7 minutes and had zero shot attempts for vs 10 against. He was in his own zone for almost 5 minutes. Had 5 scoring chances against (and none for). If that is not being dominated, I don't know what is. An example is the pure lack of ability to do anything with the puck. You can't be pinned like that in the playoffs and expect it to not eventually bite you in the ass.

I also didn't state that he shouldn't play in the playoffs again immediately, but if it happens again, he shouldn't play. Significant difference in those statements. I'm giving a pass here, but if it happens again, there shouldn't be any hesitation at pulling him.

As a point of reference, only one other player has managed a 0 attempt game for the Avs in 2024. That was Dermy against Florida where he played less than 5 minutes and didn't give up anything.

Don't think he got a single o-zone start, and was usually making quick line changes. But yes, you'd like to see more offence next game. I'll take the positive plays he made on D though
He got 1 offensive zone start and 2 defensive zone.... rest were neutral zone.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
He was out there for 7 minutes and had zero shot attempts for vs 10 against. He was in his own zone for almost 5 minutes. Had 5 scoring chances against (and none for). If that is not being dominated, I don't know what is. An example is the pure lack of ability to do anything with the puck. You can't be pinned like that in the playoffs and expect it to not eventually bite you in the ass.

I also didn't state that he shouldn't play in the playoffs again immediately, but if it happens again, he shouldn't play. Significant difference in those statements. I'm giving a pass here, but if it happens again, there shouldn't be any hesitation at pulling him.

As a point of reference, only one other player has managed a 0 attempt game for the Avs in 2024. That was Dermy against Florida where he played less than 5 minutes and didn't give up anything.

He got 1 offensive zone start and 2 defensive zone.... rest were neutral zone.
Fair enough. Good point on the Dermy comparison.

Hopefully he finds an offensive stride soon. Maybe he'll get a couple more minutes and a couple more offensive zone faceoffs next game, we will see. It's hard I'm sure since we have quite a bit of good forward depth. But man did I love Kovalenko's defensive zone coverage last night. I thought he was super reliable with his coverage last night. I was impressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad