Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Miles Of Wood to 6-year deal × $2.5M AAV

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I wouldn't be shocked if they expect him to be a 3rd liner, but I've learned to listen to fans of other teams when we acquire their players.

I sure hope I'm wrong by the way. A good version of Wood sounds amazing.

Probably the worst possible thing to do is to listen to fans when it comes to evaluating players.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Probably the worst possible thing to do is to listen to fans when it comes to evaluating players.
As a general rule, yes. But when thoughtful, intelligent fans share their experience of closely following a player for years, I pay attention - especially if I keep hearing the same things from different people.

If Avs fans go to Detroit forums and warn them JT Compher is not a legit 2nd line center, they would be wise to listen.

I remember going to the Toronto forums when they got Barrie and trying warn them - they didn't listen, but they should have.

When we signed Matt Calvert, CBJ fans came over and told us how much we were going to love him and explained exactly why, and they were completely right.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
As a general rule, yes. But when thoughtful, intelligent fans share their experience of closely following a player for years, I pay attention - especially if I keep hearing the same things from different people.

If Avs fans go to Detroit forums and warn them JT Compher is not a legit 2nd line center, they would be wise to listen.

I remember going to the Toronto forums when they got Barrie and trying warn them - they didn't listen, but they should have.

When we signed Matt Calvert, CBJ fans came over and told us how much we were going to love him and explained exactly why, and they were completely right.
And what about the other fans’ opinions on Nuke, Burakovsky, Kadri etc.

Would you say they were correct in their assessment?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If you watched Wood last year, you'd clearly see what NJ fans are talking about. It could just be a bad season, could be recovery from injury... it could be correct. We will see. What is clear though, is he didn't live up to his early potential. When he came into the league, he looked like he was a for sure 30-30 guy with a nasty edge. It just never came to be.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
And what about the other fans’ opinions on Nuke, Burakovsky, Kadri etc.

Would you say they were correct in their assessment?
I never said all fans are correct all the time. Nobody saw Nuke coming. Leafs fans were exactly right about Kadri (talented player who can put up points and plays with a edge but will get suspended in the playoffs). Bura I don't remember everything Washington fans said to be honest.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
I sure as hell hope he'll get to stay permanently on the third line instead of the second (not fourth).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avs pro scouting has earned my benefit of the doubt on this one. They clearly see something that makes them believe he can be a set and forget third liner. Wood definitely wouldn't be the first player to come to Colorado and find a new gear.

If they're wrong, that contract is going to hurt. If they're right, add another tally to the win column for them.
Wood of two to three years ago I think he would strive on the 3rd line, but three years of banging bodies later it is more in the air. The pro scouts definitely early a lot of respect, but I get the feeling that they're banking on him from his prior history combined and not simply on his play last year.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

You are right all teams have some fans that are very good at evaluating their own players and we should listen to them. However as someone said I think our pro scouts have earned the benefit of the doubt from their past signings. I'll wait and see on this one. Because of their past record I am optimistic about Wood getting back to what he was or close to it at least.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011

You also had some Avs fans who thought Barrie could potentially get Norris consideration playing out East. Fanbases are usually pretty split on players. Even with JTC it varies depending on the Avs can you ask(outside of being a 2C of course).

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Avs pro scouting has earned my benefit of the doubt on this one. They clearly see something that makes them believe he can be a set and forget third liner. Wood definitely wouldn't be the first player to come to Colorado and find a new gear.

If they're wrong, that contract is going to hurt. If they're right, add another tally to the win column for them.

This is where I stand. Avs pro scouting has been elite. Clearly with the term offered they think Wood is going to be better than he was last year.

Time will tell if it’s a hit/miss.

Reactions: Murzu

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah we'll see with Wood... Our Pro Scouts have certainly deserved the benefit of the doubt to this point. But the numbers don't exactly paint a great picture.

And while $2.5M isn't a lot of money especially as the cap starts rising, $2.5M for a 4th liner is a pretty terrible contract and we're potentially locked into that for 6 years, if he can't improve his play to 3rd line quality for us.

My issue with Woods deal is that there just isn't a lot of upside to it. Best case scenario he's a decent 3rd line guy for ~2-3 years and you get him at a $500k-$1M discount. He's already 28 so you're not getting anymore than 2-3 years before the serious regression begins so regardless of what he does in the front half of the contract, the back half isn't going to look good.

Beyond the beat case scenario, it's far more likely that we're paying a 4th line quality player $2.5M, a $1.5M overpayment, and again at his age and with his injury history we could be talking 1-2 years max before the dude is a combination of always injured/not NHL caliber anymore.

It's like a low reward, high risk deal and they went 6 years on the deal. I dont really care about the 6 years that much because within half of that, this teams window will certainly be closed. But that much term for a depth winger is just silly.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yeah we'll see with Wood... Our Pro Scouts have certainly deserved the benefit of the doubt to this point. But the numbers don't exactly paint a great picture.

And while $2.5M isn't a lot of money especially as the cap starts rising, $2.5M for a 4th liner is a pretty terrible contract and we're potentially locked into that for 6 years, if he can't improve his play to 3rd line quality for us.

My issue with Woods deal is that there just isn't a lot of upside to it. Best case scenario he's a decent 3rd line guy for ~2-3 years and you get him at a $500k-$1M discount. He's already 28 so you're not getting anymore than 2-3 years before the serious regression begins so regardless of what he does in the front half of the contract, the back half isn't going to look good.

Beyond the beat case scenario, it's far more likely that we're paying a 4th line quality player $2.5M, a $1.5M overpayment, and again at his age and with his injury history we could be talking 1-2 years max before the dude is a combination of always injured/not NHL caliber anymore.

It's like a low reward, high risk deal and they went 6 years on the deal. I dont really care about the 6 years that much because within half of that, this teams window will certainly be closed. But that much term for a depth winger is just silly.

The best case scenario is higher than you think cause wood had a 19 goal and 17 goal (in 55 game,) season in his belt while playing that physical game perfect for the playoffs. He wasnt much worse than Blake Coleman for a time.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The best case scenario is higher than you think cause wood had a 19 goal and 17 goal (in 55 game,) season in his belt while playing that physical game perfect for the playoffs. He wasnt much worse than Blake Coleman for a time.
Sure, but Tampa also didn’t lock themselves down to Coleman for 6 years.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Still 3rd liner numbers. The best year he ever had was 32 points in 76 games. That's pretty average 3rd line numbers. He doesn't have upside for anything beyond that.

Coleman put up better numbers in both seasons before he left Tampa.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

This is exactly the sort of contract a contender should be handing out. Giving out extra term in years that won't be contending years anyways to keep the AAV down in years the team is a contender is the right way to go about it. Fwiw Tampa did the same with Nick Paul for example.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Still 3rd liner numbers. The best year he ever had was 32 points in 76 games. That's pretty average 3rd line numbers. He doesn't have upside for anything beyond that.

Coleman put up better numbers in both seasons before he left Tampa.
I mean that's why Coleman is getting paid like twice as much...

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
We all know that players that are ++ physical, low IQ, and are dependent on their speed to be effective, age very well. Can't imagine any downside to signing someone like that for 6 years, especially when they played at a 4th line level the year prior.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This is exactly the sort of contract a contender should be handing out. Giving out extra term in years that won't be contending years anyways to keep the AAV down in years the team is a contender is the right way to go about it. Fwiw Tampa did the same with Nick Paul for example.

I dont think contenders should be giving out contracts to regressing players period.

Wood has already started regressing. It's one thing if he was coming off of a solid year. He isn't. And he has injury issues.

It just isn't a good contract. No other way to put it.

I mean that's why Coleman is getting paid like twice as much...
Ok? It isn't me who brought up Coleman in the first place. Of course he's making more, he was a much better player...

Reactions: MarkT

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I dont think contenders should be giving out contracts to regressing players period.

Wood has already started regressing. It's one thing if he was coming off of a solid year. He isn't. And he has injury issues.

It just isn't a good contract. No other way to put it.

Ok? It isn't me who brought up Coleman in the first place. Of course he's making more, he was a much better player...
We're bargain bin shopping, a player coming off a good year isn't going to be a value contract. That's just the way it's going to be with our cap situation.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
We're bargain bin shopping, a player coming off a good year isn't going to be a value contract. That's just the way it's going to be with our cap situation.

What exactly is the Tatar contract then?

Obviously we don't know who was willing to sign where, but plenty of players as good or even better than Wood signed much better contracts this past summer.

I understand the reasoning behind going 6 years and as I said before, it doesn't really bother me because I especially on this board probably think the window closes sooner than just about everyone else. So 6 years doesn't mean much to me.

I just think they could have easily spent that ~$2.5M on a better player. For example, I'd have rathered bring Rodrigues back at 4x$3M instead of signing Wood. I would have much preferred to sign Geekie for 2x$2M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad