Confirmed with Link: Avs trade Jermey Hanzel + '25 3rd for Yakov Trenin + D Graham Sward

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs have brought in a fair amount more Russians than usual recently, in different ways. Perhaps to make Val feel more comfortable?

Trenin, Bardakov, Gulyayev, Prosvetov, Georgiev, Kovalenko.

Feeling isolated to an extent might have been a contributing factor to his issues.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
One thing I don’t get about this trade from Nashville side is why would they send Trenin to division team the Avs, make them tougher specially when there is a chance they can face each other in the 1st round?

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I really can’t. What am I missing?
They're not stupid enough to think they have serious playoff aspirations even if they make it in. What does it matter to them who they trade this player to? His contract expires after the season and they likely don't plan to sign him.

You really can't understand why middling teams trade guys on expiring deals for picks? You've been here for almost 20 f***ing years man.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
They're not stupid enough to think they have serious playoff aspirations even if they make it in. What does it matter to them who they trade this player to? His contract expires after the season and they likely don't plan to sign him.

You really can't understand why middling teams trade guys on expiring deals for picks?
I mean they signed a guy like ROR which means they weren’t in a rebuild mode, they recently won like 6 games in a row and are sitting solidly in a wildcard spot. Suddenly they decide to start selling? I see what they’re doing, I just don’t get it

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I mean they signed a guy like ROR which means they weren’t in a rebuild mode, they recently won like 6 games in a row and are sitting solidly in a wildcard spot. Suddenly they decide to start selling? I see what they’re doing, I just don’t get it
Yeah and not trying to be hostile but I doubt you ever will get it at this point.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah and not trying to be hostile but I doubt you ever will get it at this point.
Yeah, all I get is that it doesn’t make sense. I mean I get the concept. Yeah they don’t think they can do anything in the playoffs even if they make it. Trade players with expiring contracts etc..but whynot just start a rebuild from the get go instead of signing over 30 year old ROR, and now the word is they’re not shopping Saros since they’re a playoff team. Like I said, they’re just all over the place and it doesn’t make sense

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Yeah, all I get is that it doesn’t make sense. I mean I get the concept. Yeah they don’t think they can do anything in the playoffs even if they make it. Trade players with expiring contracts etc..but whynot just start a rebuild from the get go instead of signing over 30 year old ROR, and now the word is they’re not shopping Saros since they’re a playoff team. Like I said, they’re just all over the place and it doesn’t make sense
I think you're just refusing to see the nuance in their situation and you seem to think there's only two ways to operate a hockey team at any given moment: go all in or scorched earth rebuild. It's just way more complicated than that.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think you're just refusing to see the nuance in their situation and you seem to think there's only two ways to operate a hockey team at any given moment: go all in or scorched earth rebuild. It's just way more complicated than that.
There are bunch of ways to operate a hockey team, but not all of them are effective.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
There are bunch of ways to operate a hockey team, but not all of them are effective.
So what are you doing if you're Nashville's GM this deadline?

Trading picks and prospects for rentals?

Trading every player over the age of 25 for picks?

Keep in mind their current roster and contract situations. They can't really tank to get a top 5 pick either.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So what are you doing if you're Nashville's GM this deadline?

Trading picks and prospects for rentals?

Trading every player over the age of 25 for picks?

Keep in mind their current roster and contract situations. They can't really tank to get a top 5 pick either.
There is a reason why I don’t run a hockey team, it’s because I have no idea how, but if I’m Nashville, I’m probably deciding if I’m retooling, rebuilding or staying the course. Looks like they’re retooling but I’m not sure

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
There is a reason why I don’t run a hockey team, it’s because I have no idea how, but if I’m Nashville, I’m probably deciding if I’m retooling, rebuilding or staying the course. Looks like they’re retooling but I’m not sure
That's exactly what they're doing; retooling. It's all just asset management. A team like Nashville does not spend excessively and has a budget. They have to play the margins with trades like this in order to create value because they also refuse (for better or worse) to burn it all down and draft high.

Whether or not it's the right choice, IDK, but I think it's pretty obvious why they wouldn't mind trading a soon-to-be-UFA 4th liner for a draft pick, but would also hesitate to trade Saros (signed this year and next, and a significantly more valuable player regardless).

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Avs have brought in a fair amount more Russians than usual recently, in different ways. Perhaps to make Val feel more comfortable?

Trenin, Bardakov, Gulyayev, Prosvetov, Georgiev, Kovalenko.

Feeling isolated to an extent might have been a contributing factor to his issues.
Not Georgiev, but yes much more Russian presence.

Reactions: Foppa2118

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That's exactly what they're doing; retooling. It's all just asset management. A team like Nashville does not spend excessively and has a budget. They have to play the margins with trades like this in order to create value because they also refuse (for better or worse) to burn it all down and draft high.

Whether or not it's the right choice, IDK, but I think it's pretty obvious why they wouldn't mind trading a soon-to-be-UFA 4th liner for a draft pick, but would also hesitate to trade Saros (signed this year and next, and a significantly more valuable player regardless).
Retooling almost never works. Gotta do some sort of a rebuild. Some teams get lucky where rebuild doesn’t take long like the Rangers, for some it takes longer, but if you don’t have a winning team, retooling won’t work. Just ask the Pens

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Retooling almost never works. Gotta do some sort of a rebuild. Some teams get lucky where rebuild doesn’t take long like the Rangers, for some it takes longer, but if you don’t have a winning team, retooling won’t work. Just ask the Pens
I'm not trying to convince you that it works. I actually agree with you.

You don't have to agree with it to understand what they're trying to do.

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
I would say that you are correct and that it goes for all names.
1709863048550.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Metallo

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
The Preds are under no illusion they’re contenders. Recouping assets for expiring players is the smart idea. What the Preds are after is 2-3 games of playoff revenue and if they happen to make it 4-6+ then that’s a bonus but not the main goal

Reactions: the_fan

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Even though the series was a sweep, Trenin hounded the Avs in the 2022 playoffs with 3 goals and 16 hits.

I've always remembered that, and Trenen was a guy I kept "trading for" when messing around on CapFriendly. I think he's taken a slight step back from that 2022 series, but this is a home run trade nevertheless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad