Bad Contracts

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
edmonton probalby wants to move there goalie. I would think Tavares would waive for a buyout. he would get more $$ then when he signs with a new team. IE gets 95% of his money next year and then probably signs a 3 year 5 mil deal with a new team.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
The Bruins aren't trading a sixty point center making less than five million dollars.
Yes probably.

If they can grab Lindholm whos a lot closer to 1C. Poitras coming up.

They can trade Zacha and Ullmark for 2 hauls to fill out the lineup.

-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-
Geeke-Frederick

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Fine with any of the 1 year deals. Only Girard for the 3 year.

This. I wouldnt even consider that Girard a bad deal, tbh. Overpaid abit sure, but not a toxic asset at all.

Tavares for 1 year honestly just makes a lot of sense for the Blackhawks. You’re not getting a 1st along with him though. He’s still like a 70 point 2C.

If everybody involved waives their nmc, Im convinced Treliving is dumb enough to do Tavares + Marner (extended) for Seth Jones + something like Reichel.

He’s obsessed with big D, and the Leafs free up $13 million net. Hawks can eat both contracts for a year and get and elite playmaker and great two-way player.

Again though, it would be a sell job to get everybody to waive.

Last edited:

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Anders Lee isnt very good anymore. They should trade him.

His wife is from Chicago so it would be a logical landing spot. Wouldnt mind seeing him playing with Bedard or Nazar for a bit and netfront powerplay.
"Lee isn't very good anymore.", but you just don't want him but you want him with Bedard or Nazar? We already have crap to play with them, we don’t need more of that.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I’m not sure I’d want an extended Marner on this team. Some 8 year, $12m AAV deal doesn’t seem smart or worth it. Even if we get out of Jones contract which I’m not sure is a smart move either.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
"Lee isn't very good anymore.", but you just don't want him but you want him with Bedard or Nazar? We already have crap to play with them, we don’t need more of that.
We already have crap to play with them so why not get an asset to do it. Hes no worse then Hall or Foligno or Anthanasiou or Donato. If we can take an asset to eat the money and the rest is a wash then ya do it.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I’m not sure I’d want an extended Marner on this team. Some 8 year, $12m AAV deal doesn’t seem smart or worth it. Even if we get out of Jones contract which I’m not sure is a smart move either.
I think it will not be that hard to get out of the last couple years of SJ's contract if he's still a #3 by then.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
What about Campbell from EDM? He's got 3 years left x $5M AAV, with about $13.5M actually paid. I ask because if EDM doesn't win the cap this year they're going to be HIGHLY motivated to free up as much cap space as possible to pay Draisatl (UFA on 7/1/25) and McD (UFA on 7/1/26). The Oilers already traded their 1st in 2024, but have it for 2025 & 2026.

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
What about Campbell from EDM? He's got 3 years left x $5M AAV, with about $13.5M actually paid. I ask because if EDM doesn't win the cap this year they're going to be HIGHLY motivated to free up as much cap space as possible to pay Draisatl (UFA on 7/1/25) and McD (UFA on 7/1/26). The Oilers already traded their 1st in 2024, but have it for 2025 & 2026.

If CHI could acquire a first-round pick and a prospect for Campbell it would be worth it. CHI could buy him out for a $2.3-2.6M and then $1.5 for a few years. Not bad for an early 20's first-rounder

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
To Chicago:
:hawks
-Samuel Girard
-2024 1st round pick (25th overall)

To Colorado:
:avs
-Lukas Reichel

Flip Girard elsewhere with 50% retention for picks

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If CHI could acquire a first-round pick and a prospect for Campbell it would be worth it. CHI could buy him out for a $2.3-2.6M and then $1.5 for a few years. Not bad for an early 20's first-rounder
Hawks have a lot of picks, why be so desperate for a low pick (and Oilers chances of making it at least as low if not lower than '24 go up without an anchor contract) and eat dead cap for that long? Goalie is hard to just have a bad contract and let it ride as well compared to a skater if you don't think the player has value for you from a playing standpoint.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Hawks have a lot of picks, why be so desperate for a low pick (and Oilers chances of making it at least as low if not lower than '24 go up without an anchor contract) and eat dead cap for that long? Goalie is hard to just have a bad contract and let it ride as well compared to a skater if you don't think the player has value for you from a playing standpoint.
Campell's buyout this summer would be between $2.5-1.1M over the next 6 years (front loaded over the next 3 years), with a total of $9M of cash paid. IMO, that's probably in the 2x 1st round DP equivalent value (certainly more than 1). Another alternative would be to go with JC as backup for the next 2 years when the Hawks have plenty of cap available, and then decide what to do the last year.

The Oilers don't have their 2024 1st, so there would need to be 2025/2026 draft capital included. Just in general - I feel like EDM is going to be the "most motivated" seller from the original list because they are going to need every $ available for Draisaitl, Bouchard & McD.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Campell's buyout this summer would be between $2.5-1.1M over the next 6 years (front loaded over the next 3 years), with a total of $9M of cash paid. IMO, that's probably in the 2x 1st round DP equivalent value (certainly more than 1). Another alternative would be to go with JC as backup for the next 2 years when the Hawks have plenty of cap available, and then decide what to do the last year.

The Oilers don't have their 2024 1st, so there would need to be 2025/2026 draft capital included. Just in general - I feel like EDM is going to be the "most motivated" seller from the original list because they are going to need every $ available for Draisaitl, Bouchard & McD.
At the least, you have to ride him out at least one season and then re-assess. I still don't think I'd do it, I don't think Edmonton is going to be bad so the pick won't be that great. I think they'd sell out trying to win before Draisaitl's contract ends, and if they don't have their pick, they have even less motivation to ever sell and just ride McDavid's contract out.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
At the least, you have to ride him out at least one season and then re-assess. I still don't think I'd do it, I don't think Edmonton is going to be bad so the pick won't be that great. I think they'd sell out trying to win before Draisaitl's contract ends, and if they don't have their pick, they have even less motivation to ever sell and just ride McDavid's contract out.

90% agree with you. The Oilers pick will likely be bottom 1/3 of the round, but this is one of those times that this is just "Wirtz-bucks", especially if JC is the back-up for the Hawks. I'd like to accumulate as much draft capital as possible more for future trade opportunities than for adding additional prospect for the pipeline.

The Oilers are probably going to need ~$14M in cap space over the next 2 years to give raises to Draisatl ($6M), Bouchard ($6M), and McD ($2M). (My guesses to get CM/LD to $14.5M and Bouchard to $9.5M cap hits). They're going to need every $ available, and I think that makes them the most motivated "seller" on the list. They know how rare it is to have elite talent and IMO they're going to go scorched earth to make sure they have the window open as long as possible to take advantage of that.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
The Campbell trade for me is easily two 1st. Because the Oil are only able to deal in future 1st and likely bad ones at that. The trade for me would be Campbell + Ceci + '25 1st + Akey + Lavoie for Murphy + Soderblom + whatever RFA forward we want to lose the contract that Edmonton may want for depth (Reece Johnson or Entwistle being most obvious to move on from). Ceci for Murphy get the cheaper mediocre 2nd pairing RHD with a year less contract to offset some to fhe Campbell money for 2 years instead of one and Ceci has a MUCH better track record of actually being healthy and available to play. Akey and Lavoie are worth like 2 2nds or the equivalent of a bad 1st and fill the prospect pool holes of winger with some size and a RHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad