Confirmed with Link: Ben Chiarot (50%) for 2023 1st round pick, 2022 4th round pick, and Ty Smilanic

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
so far in the playoffs he hasn't been the overwhelming physical presence he's been advertised as and is barely noticeable imo.

I hope he can step the physicality up as the playoffs go on.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I don't know how you can complain about either of his playoff games thus far.

Responsible defensively while being the most reliable pairing with Montour.
Honestly thought he was one of our best players last night. With his steady presence and positioning, pin-point passing and puck handling, perfect calming counterpart to Montour's sometimes overactive behaviour.

He is not forced to be overly physical but can be if needed.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Yeah, I think Chiarot has been good, better than I expected. Series is gonna get even more physical with Wilson back in the lineup, and Chiarot has shown no problem handling it.

You can say the Panthers overpaid, but really, when you only have 5 D you feel comfortable dressing in a playoff game and one of them has decided he's gonna spin-o-rama at the blueline on the reg, what can ya do?

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
Yeah, I think Chiarot has been good, better than I expected. Series is gonna get even more physical with Wilson back in the lineup, and Chiarot has shown no problem handling it.

You can say the Panthers overpaid, but really, when you only have 5 D you feel comfortable dressing in a playoff game and one of them has decided he's gonna spin-o-rama at the blueline on the reg, what can ya do?
When we got Chiarot, Montreal media was talking about how strong, physical and dominant in the playoffs last year, I have yet to see that.
The talk was that he used to terrorize Mathew, in fact I was expecting someone like Gudas.
If I have to say something very positive about him, is that he is very composed and have a coming presence about his game.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
When we got Chiarot, Montreal media was talking about how strong, physical and dominant in the playoffs last year, I have yet to see that.
The talk was that he used to terrorize Mathew, in fact I was expecting someone like Gudas.
If I have to say something very positive about him, is that he is very composed and have a coming presence about his game.
That is the thing about Chiarot: he is not a one-trick pony. For his size, he is actually a pretty apt skater, plus a very solid puckhandler. We don't need the Chiarot of last year yet - but good to know that he can turn up the physical part.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
We def moved all in in the wrong season. Next year with new coaching staff would been better.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Lets be honest, none of the other available guys at the deadline would’ve significantly moved the needle in a series like this against Tampa.
Zito did well with everyone … except the coach choice.

Reactions: Ghoste

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Lets be honest, none of the other available guys at the deadline would’ve significantly moved the needle in a series like this against Tampa.
For sure but it would have been nice to have this 1st and prospect for next year to trade, you know when Florida has a real coach. He picked a bad year to go all in.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Chiarot was brought in to play first-pairing and make life miserable for opponents…

He was brought to Ekblad‘s pairing in the fifth game of the Caps series, and played more than 20minutes only once if I recall correctly…

Enough said.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Chariot was never a good fit for our playstyle. We play way too fast/north+south.

He looked great on the Habs (cuz of weber) but also their slower playstyle.

He just was kinda here. Not good. Not bad.

I still stand by going all in this year being the right call. This just wasn't the right move.

Reactions: 16Skippy

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I still stand by going all in this year being the right call. This just wasn't the right move.
Yeah except I’ll repeat again that this is one place where Zito was inconsistent.
1) Not all in on the coach
2) All in on players that seemed to fit budget, performance, team, possible future extension

Nobody is commenting on this inconsistency; mostly people talk about Chiarot not being worth a first rounder, but I think there’s a bigger picture failure at work here. It’s the only significant miss by Zito that I see.

If people just want to debate Chiarot, I don’t see, without the benefit of hindsight, who would have been a better D to pick up, given all the constraints?

Reactions: 16Skippy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad