Tribute Blackhawks by the numbers

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Which Blackhawks deserve to be called the best at each jersey number?

Retired
1-Glenn Hall
3-Pierre Pilote and Keith Magnuson
9-Bobby Hull
18-Denis Savard
21-Stan Mikita
35-Tony Esposito

Now the rest...
2-Duncan Keith
4-Bobby Orr
5-Steve Smith
6-Bob Murray
7-Chris Chelios and Brent Seabrook
8-Bill Mosienko
10-Tony Amonte and Patrick Sharp
11-Doug Mohns
12-Pat Stapleton
13-Alexei Zhamnov
14-?
15-Eric Nesterenko
16-Michel Goulet
17-Ken Wharram
19-Jonathan Toews
20-Al Secord
22-Grant Mulvey
23-J.P. Bordeleau
24-Doug Wilson
25-Viktor Stalberg
26-Steve Sullivan
27-Jeremy Roenick
28-Steve Larmer
29-Bryan Bickell
30-Ed Belfour
31-Antti Niemi
32-Steve Thomas
33-Dirk Graham
34-?
36-Dave Bolland
37-?
38-Ryan Hartman
39-Nikolai Khabibulin
40-Darren Pang
41-Jocelyn Thibault
42-Jon Klemm
43-?
44-?
45-?
46-Colin Fraser
47-?
48-Vinny Hinostroza
49-Michael Leighton
50-Corey Crawford
51-Brian Campbell
52-Dustin Byfuglien
53-?
54-?
55-Eric Daze
56-Erik Gustafsson
57-Trevor van Riemsdyk
58-?
59-Travis Moen
60-Collin Delia
*61-has never been a Blackhawk to wear
62-Luke Johnson
63-Carl Dahlstrom
64-David Kampf
65-Andrew Shaw
*66-has never been a Blackhawk to wear
67-Michal Frolik
68-Slater Koekkoek
*69-has never been a Blackhawk to wear
70-Dennis Rasmussen
*71-has never been a Blackhawk to wear
72-Artemi Panarin
*73-has never been a Blackhawk to wear
74-Nicolas Beaudin
*75-has never been a Blackhawk to wear
*76-has never been a Blackhawk to wear
77-Kirby Dach
*78-has never been a Blackhawk to wear
*79-has never been a Blackhawk to wear
80-Antoine Vermette
81-Marian Hossa
82-Tomas Kopecky
*83-has never been a Blackhawk to wear
84-Alexandre Fortin
85-Rostislav Olesz
86-Teuvo Teravainen
*87-has never been a Blackhawk to wear
88-Patrick Kane
*89-has never been a Blackhawk to wear
90-Scott Foster
91-Brad Richards
92-Benie Nicholls
93-Doug Gilmour
94-?
95-Dylan Sikura

I'd like to see everyone's thoughts on this? As #3 was permanently attached to both Magnuson and Pilote I believe a couple of other numbers could as well...like #10, #7 and #20

Last edited:

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
7 Chris Chelios

10- Tony Amonte by a whisker over Sharp.

11-Doug Mohns

12- Whitey Stapleton by a whisker over Ivan Boldirev

20 Al Secord

22 Grant Mulvey over King Kong Korab

23 Behn Wilson

26 Steve Sullivan

29 Ted Bulley

Crow

May 19, 2014
7 - feel like it’s close right now but seabrook will likely increase or decrease his chances at being the best for me. If he plays a few more years here very shortly it has to count.

10- Sharp by quite a bit. Too big a part of 3 cups. Tony was a favorite for a while too.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
7 - feel like it’s close right now but seabrook will likely increase or decrease his chances at being the best for me. If he plays a few more years here very shortly it has to count.

10- Sharp by quite a bit. Too big a part of 3 cups. Tony was a favorite for a while too.

I think it's a bit of a recency bias on Amonte vs Sharp. Amonte has three 30+ goal seasons and three 40+ goal seasons with the Hawks in the dead puck era. He also has more goals as a Hawk in two fewer years played with the team than Sharp and 280 more career points. And again much of his career was in the dead puck era.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think it's a bit of a recency bias on Amonte vs Sharp. Amonte has three 30+ goal seasons and three 40+ goal seasons with the Hawks in the dead puck era. He also has more goals as a Hawk in two fewer years played with the team than Sharp and 280 more career points. And again much of his career was in the dead puck era.

Definitely recency bias. While Sharp was a damn good player, he wasn't really in the same league as Amonte.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Definitely recency bias. While Sharp was a damn good player, he wasn't really in the same league as Amonte.
Sharp was so huge in the first two cups. I guess that was more recent but it’s just more important to me than the difference in the rest of their careers.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I wish I was a fan back in the mid to late 90’s so I could’ve seen some of these guys play. All I know from Amonte are the posters on my cousin’s wall and when I’d play hockey video games

Reactions: Pez68

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I wish I was a fan back in the mid to late 90’s so I could’ve seen some of these guys play. All I know from Amonte are the posters on my cousin’s wall and when I’d play hockey video games

I'm not sure who a modern day comparable is. Maybe Kane. Amonte had better speed and a better shot. Lightning quick release. Kane has better hands and is a better passer. Watching Roenick and Amonte play was certainly a treat.

Fun fact: Charlie Coyle is Amonte's cousin.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I'm not sure who a modern day comparable is. Maybe Kane. Amonte had better speed and a better shot. Lightning quick release. Kane has better hands and is a better passer. Watching Roenick and Amonte play was certainly a treat.

Fun fact: Charlie Coyle is Amonte's cousin.
Kane is a very odd comp. Amonte was Kessel.

Edit: Roenick before the knee injury was pure joy. It was like Burish’s heart in Havlat’s body.

Reactions: JaegerDice

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Kane is a very odd comp. Amonte was Kessel.

Edit: Roenick before the knee injury was pure joy. It was like Burish’s heart in Havlat’s body.

Kessel is another fast guy, with a good shot, but doesn't have near the agility Amonte had. Amonte's skating was phenomenal, and he had some great hands. Kane is a weird comp, I agree. But at the time I wasn't sure how to describe him.

Now that I think about it, Pastrnak is probably the closest player to Amonte, in today's NHL.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Jersey retirements should be reserved for Hall of Famers and key Cup winners.

Amonte doesn’t currently make the cut. If Amonte makes the HoF one day, they can update Sharp’s banner with a patch, though I dont think Amonte ever makes the HoF.

Honestly, the best modern day comparison to Amonte is probably Rick Nash, tho Nash was far better defensively. Both put up a ton of points on crap teams without achieving any individual or team honors.

Seabrook can get a patch on Chelios’ banner.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Amonte doesn’t currently make the cut. If Amonte makes the HoF one day, they can update Sharp’s banner with a patch, though I dont think Amonte ever makes the HoF.

Honestly, the best modern day comparison to Amonte is probably Rick Nash, tho Nash was far better defensively. Both put up a ton of points on crap teams without achieving any individual or team honors.

I agree here.....I think Jersey retirements are for Hall of Famers period, who either won championships or had their best years with the team.

For example, as good as Buehrle and Konerko were with the Sox, neither deserves a jersey retirement.

I'd be more willing to retire 81 than 50 or 7 for Seabrook. 7 for Chelios should have been done 5 years ago.....IIRC isn't Chelios working for the Hawks now? I thought I heard he left Detroit and came to the Hawks.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Awarding # 8 to- Bill Mosienko, edging out Jimmy Pappin

16-Michel Goulet

25- Viktor Stalberg over Krivo

31- Antti Niemi

32-Steve (Stumpy) Thomas

38- Ryan Hartman

Reactions: BobbyJet

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
I updated it today...

No more takers at these numbers?
It's been fun to see everyone's choices

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

Oh, I'm not arguing that Amonte's jersey should be retired, just that if I have to pick the better player between Amonte and Sharp, I would pick Amonte. However, as a fan, I'm much fonder of Sharp given his role in the cup wins. Do you think Sharp should have his number retired?

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
Amonte was a level above Sharp and it’s not really close. I like Sharp but he is a complimentary player. Amonte carried a line himself when there weren’t many good players that opposing teams had to key on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad