News Article: Blais suspended 2 games for hit to Toews

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Blais plays a physical game. You don’t want to tell a player like him to tone it down, thats how he earns his keep. You just have to tell him to be more careful, but sometimes these incidental hits to the head will happen.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
If you bail on a hit and take a headshot the issue is you, not the person giving the hit. There was only one person in this play that changed direction and it wasn't Blais.

Reactions: Mike Liut

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Blais is an idiot honestly. He’s lucky this is his first suspension. He’s had many questionable hits up until this point and now that he has an official suspension on his record, he will start getting more discipline each time it happens.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Blais is an idiot honestly. He’s lucky this is his first suspension. He’s had many questionable hits up until this point and now that he has an official suspension on his record, he will start getting more discipline each time it happens.
I dont believe this is blais first suspension

ThunderCat

Feb 16, 2019

He's definitely had some questionable hits in the past.. hes gotta be careful tho!!
Definitely gonna start being recognized now..

We almost lost some big momentum with that penalty.. especially starting the year.

Luckily our team rebounded.. and strongly!!

Edit:
Gonna be interesting how they get him into the lineup.. especially if Clifford gets rollin w his 2yr deal..
Blais will get his rotation, but if Clifford performs??
Seems he'll get the call in big games..

Last edited:

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Such bullshit. I hope Sammy doesn't change a thing about his play. Keep punishing people.
He needs to reign it in by 5-10%. I think that'll greatly reduce the chances he ends up in these situations. Another point is, Blais registered only one hit the entire game last night, so he put himself on eggshells after that penalty and it completely shut down his hitting.

Since 2018-2019, Blues hits/60 leaders(still on team and more than 30GP)
Blais 18.18
DLR 15.49
Mac 11.39
Barbie 7.46
Bortz 6.59

He's massively outhitting everyone on the team, and I'd rather have him slow down just a bit to make sure he doesn't get himself into shitty situations, than have him make a bad hit that ends up costing the team a goal against, then walk on eggshells for the rest of the game.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
idk how you avoid a hit like that unless you totally let up, which will never happen with our style of play.

2 games is way too harsh, id appeal it.

Reactions: Stlblue50

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I thought just a fine is warranted. IF they got a little harsh, it would be 1 game. Two games is too much for coming up a little too high in a situation where it's tough to counter your momentum.

Reactions: Stlblue50

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
fair enough. i blame the weird blue helmets they have now. makes the head stand out

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm not an impartial observer, but I didn't see an elbow in use by Blais. Wasn't he penalized for elbowing?

I say - no penalty. Certainly no suspension.

stlbluz

Apr 9, 2007
St. Louis
If anything they should have called diving by Toews. They're both(the hit & dive) aren't worthy of anything more than a penalty. I can't believe how soft the NHL has gotten over the years. It's got to be the new fans that have never seen toughness displayed during a game. Go watch some games from 10, 20, 30 years ago & add up what you'd consider a penalty today on your snowflakameter.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
This is a complete joke. Toews sees Blais coming and does NOTHING to protect himself. The only way there is no head contact is if Blais bails on playing the puck or does some crazy last second turn

Laying motionless on the ice after the hit tells you everything u need to know about Toes 2.0. Welcome to the west...don’t stick your head out!

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I guess it was Sundqvist and Barbashev who received suspensions in the Playoffs 2 seasons ago. I had thought Blais was one. I think he could have been, but then the complaints about the big meanie Blues motivated the DPS to get tighter.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
I guess it was Sundqvist and Barbashev who received suspensions in the Playoffs 2 seasons ago. I had thought Blais was one. I think he could have been, but then the complaints about the big meanie Blues motivated the DPS to get tighter.
I think he made a hit in that series I thought was going to be reviewed (going off memory at least).

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I am astonished by some of the posts here. This place would be howling if that was Krug getting hit. Toews didn’t change position he was leaning for the puck the whole time. Blais came in at his normal height, as if Toews was standing up, and put his shoulder right into his head. He may have been hoping he would get his shoulder, but it was a clear head shot. It was awesome watching the big hits in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s but hockey (and the world) has changed, it’s a clear penalty and suspension.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
I was so confused by the thread title because I saw "Toews" and then Colorado uniforms in the video.. lol I didn't think Toews was a super common last name

stlbluz

Apr 9, 2007
St. Louis
I am astonished by some of the posts here. This place would be howling if that was Krug getting hit. Toews didn’t change position he was leaning for the puck the whole time. Blais came in at his normal height, as if Toews was standing up, and put his shoulder right into his head. He may have been hoping he would get his shoulder, but it was a clear head shot. It was awesome watching the big hits in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s but hockey (and the world) has changed, it’s a clear penalty and suspension.

I'm astonished as well. You're correct that Toews didn't change position even after looking at Blais then putting his head down to follow the puck upon impact. Pretty much hockey 101 that it's a bad idea to do so. First offense for Blais & anything above 1 game is asinine. Coincidental contact that looked worse than it was & could have been avoided.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I'm astonished as well. You're correct that Toews didn't change position even after looking at Blais then putting his head down to follow the puck upon impact. Pretty much hockey 101 that it's a bad idea to do so. First offense for Blais & anything above 1 game is asinine. Coincidental contact that looked worse than it was & could have been avoided.
It’s the responsibility of the player coming in to make the hit to adjust. Blais, didn’t and the principle point of contact was to the head. It’s cut and dried.

Reactions: Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I was so confused by the thread title because I saw "Toews" and then Colorado uniforms in the video.. lol I didn't think Toews was a super common last name

It doesn't have to be super common for their to be 2 of them in a league. You may want to follow the rest of the league outside the Central a little more to avoid future confusion. Devon Toews is a pretty good player in his own right. He was a strong top 4 defender on the Isles the past 2 years. 20 minutes a night, .4 ppg. He was traded to Colorado this off-season. He was an RFA, and set to get a good payday from arbitration. NYI didn't have the cap, Colorado did, so they got him for two 2nd round picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad