OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2023-2024

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Hey everyone - I'm coming back to St. Louis for the first time in almost 20 years next weekend and had a couple of questions. I'm thinking about going to a baseball game and staying downtown, is it safe to walk around from say the ballpark up a little north to market street to a hotel? Any suggestions on said hotel?

Thanks!

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Hey everyone - I'm coming back to St. Louis for the first time in almost 20 years next weekend and had a couple of questions. I'm thinking about going to a baseball game and staying downtown, is it safe to walk around from say the ballpark up a little north to market street to a hotel? Any suggestions on said hotel?

Thanks!
I haven’t been back to St Louis in about 10 years, but was having a conversation with a buddy who also used to live there. He was back recently for a trip and stayed downtown. He had terrible things to say and said he didn’t feel safe except within the bubble at Ballpark Village. It’s just one anecdote, but he was someone who has been downtown plenty in the past.

I was stunned at his comments. I expect the local bias will be kinder from people who live there, but that’s my second hand anecdote.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020

Thanks!
my daughter went to SLU law school right on Tucker just a couple of blocks away and there have been multiple incidents, including shootings, during the day, during evenings, and at night
but she felt safe enough to walk and meet my wife and I for a day baseball game and then walk back, and you do not hear about many incidents after cards games, other than occasional car break-ins, I do not know about later at night, though

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
The city is run by morons. I live in STL County, but a few miles from the city boundary. I get to enjoy the great things about the city (e.g. Forest Park is amazing), but leave when it gets dark or too crowded. I will say I was downtown near the Dome and Convention Center last spring when a teenage volleyball player from Tennessee was struck by a released criminal. She had both her legs amputated. Dig up that story and find out. It's tragic and epitomizes how we are led by morons. I hope the family sues the crap out of STL City. People in this town get EXACTLY what they vote for. You keep putting morons in office for reasons other than competence, this is what you get. I love this area, but sometimes the rot and stupidity of people can't be ignored.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
The city is run by morons. I live in STL County, but a few miles from the city boundary. I get to enjoy the great things about the city (e.g. Forest Park is amazing), but leave when it gets dark or too crowded. I will say I was downtown near the Dome and Convention Center last spring when a teenage volleyball player from Tennessee was struck by a released criminal. She had both her legs amputated. Dig up that story and find out. It's tragic and epitomizes how we are led by morons. I hope the family sues the crap out of STL City. People in this town get EXACTLY what they vote for. You keep putting morons in office for reasons other than competence, this is what you get. I love this area, but sometimes the rot and stupidity of people can't be ignored.
The whole city vs county thing is a big part of the problem. You don’t see that kind of inferiority complex in other cities. Its pretty baffling. The region should stick together and promote quality leadership, not finger point and accomplish the opposite.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The whole city vs county thing is a big part of the problem. You don’t see that kind of inferiority complex in other cities. Its pretty baffling. The region should stick together and promote quality leadership, not finger point and accomplish the opposite.
Yes, this is all of a result of white flight 50 years ago taking big chunk of city’s tax base. They never recovered.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Who should they put in office instead? Its easy to say stop voting for "morons". Its harder to give a real plan of action to fix the problem. How would they know who the "morons" are and who the right candidates are when the candidates all lie about their motivations and what they will or have done. And the news outlets meant to tell us what the candidates stand for are all biased and slanted themselves. So how do you find the right candidate? Does the right person even run for office? Is there even a right choice?

The example you gave was caused by a broken and overworked judicial system(plus bad luck as plenty of horrific accidents are caused by people not out on bail). What politician can someone vote for that can fix it? How would a politician even go about fixing it? If the right person with the right plan did get elected, could they undo generations of problems in a single term of office?

Reactions: Blueston

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Who should they put in office instead? Its easy to say stop voting for "morons". Its harder to give a real plan of action to fix the problem. How would they know who the "morons" are and who the right candidates are when the candidates all lie about their motivations and what they will or have done. And the news outlets meant to tell us what the candidates stand for are all biased and slanted themselves. So how do you find the right candidate? Does the right person even run for office? Is there even a right choice?

The example you gave was caused by a broken and overworked judicial system(plus bad luck as plenty of horrific accidents are caused by people not out on bail). What politician can someone vote for that can fix it? How would a politician even go about fixing it? If the right person with the right plan did get elected, could they undo generations of problems in a single term of office?

I'm just wondering what "released criminal" is supposed to mean. Is it someone who served their sentence? Someone on bail? Someone a jury found not guilty? What was their crime? Are we supposed to imprison every criminal/all violent offenders forever? Get rid of bail?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'm just wondering what "released criminal" is supposed to mean. Is it someone who served their sentence? Someone on bail? Someone a jury found not guilty? What was their crime? Are we supposed to imprison every criminal/all violent offenders forever? Get rid of bail?

Based on the article I pulled, the driver was on House arrest pending trial, and had violated the terms of his bond multiple times according to GPS data and security camera footage. So theoretically, if the police/courts had acted on previous violations, he wouldn't have been driving that day . Articles say he was accused of armed robbery, but not convicted. So he's been on house arrest for 2 years without a trial it seems.

Reactions: Thallis

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
the 17 year old girl was struck and had both of her legs amputated by a man who was out on bond for armed robbery and he had over 100 violations of his bond, he absolutely should have been in jail
if you are accused of certain levels of crime, you agree to certain conditions in order to be released until your trial, if you violate those conditions then you should be sent back to jail until your trial. period.

Mayor Giuliani, regardless of his old age weirdness, fixed New York City
as someone who was in Times Square before he was elected and a couple of years after he was elected, it was night and day different
so one competent public official can make a difference
the judicial system issues in St Louis city were self induced by incompetence
the new DA seems to have no problem putting in the work to catch up on the backlog of cases, in his first 6 weeks he reduced the backlog of cases waiting to be filed from 4500 (and growing) to 2000
and getting in an accident can be bad luck, getting into an accident with someone who should not have been in a position to cause the accident is not bad luck, it should never have happened

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
This really can’t be overstated. Until the city/county split is rectified nothing is going to change in STL. As someone who left STL but lived in the city my whole life up to the point and still visits plenty, it bums me out. But it’s the reality.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
This really can’t be overstated. Until the city/county split is rectified nothing is going to change in STL. As someone who left STL but lived in the city my whole life up to the point and still visits plenty, it bums me out. But it’s the reality.
Merging the city and county would simple expand the incompetence and disfunction to a larger area

I have lived my whole life in the county and working my job in the city
on the side I rehabbed and rented properties in the city, and I quit after about 12 years, my business partner continued for another 15 years before he finally had enough too and only does it in the county now
I love where I live, but the minute the city and county look like a merger will go through, I will put my house up for sale and move

Reactions: TheDizee

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Merging the city and county would simple expand the incompetence and disfunction to a larger area

I have lived my whole life in the county and working my job in the city
on the side I rehabbed and rented properties in the city, and I quit after about 12 years, my business partner continued for another 15 years before he finally had enough too and only does it in the county now
I love where I live, but the minute the city and county look like a merger will go through, I will put my house up for sale and move
Better complain about the problem then try to solve it!

Baby Doaner

Mar 14, 2021
This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but does anyone live in KC and have a room to rent? I got hired by the railroad and need a place to crash while in training.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
NHL 24 video game launched today, and I am a sucker who gets it every year. Thought it would be fun to post the Blues default lines with player ratings.

Buch (88) - Thomas (87) - Kyrou (88)
Saad (82) - Schenn (86) - Kapanen (82)
Vrana (84) - Hayes (85) - Blais (80)
Torop (79) - Sunny (81) - Neighbours (79)
Walker (77) - MacMac (76)

Leddy (83) - PArayko (85)
Krug (85) - Faulk (85)
Peru (78) - Botz (80)

Binner (84), Hofer (79)

Notable prospects :
Alexandrov - 77 ovr, top 9 potential
Tucker - 78 Ovr, 7th D potential
Stenburg - 72 Ovr, top 6 potential
Dvorsky - 70 ovr, top 6 potential
Dean 68 ovr, Top 9 potential
Lindsteain - 67 ovr, top 4 pot
Bolduc - 67 ovr, top 6 pot
Snuggerud - Does not exist

Our prospects seem a bit low, namely Dvorak, Dean and Bolduc. Our D seem a bit high. Forwards look decent,. They nailed the lineup.

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
NHL 24 video game launched today, and I am a sucker who gets it every year. Thought it would be fun to post the Blues default lines with player ratings.

Buch (88) - Thomas (87) - Kyrou (88)
Saad (82) - Schenn (86) - Kapanen (82)
Vrana (84) - Hayes (85) - Blais (80)
Torop (79) - Sunny (81) - Neighbours (79)
Walker (77) - MacMac (76)

Leddy (83) - PArayko (85)
Krug (85) - Faulk (85)
Peru (78) - Botz (80)

Binner (84), Hofer (79)

Notable prospects :
Alexandrov - 77 ovr, top 9 potential
Tucker - 78 Ovr, 7th D potential
Stenburg - 72 Ovr, top 6 potential
Dvorsky - 70 ovr, top 6 potential
Dean 68 ovr, Top 9 potential
Lindsteain - 67 ovr, top 4 pot
Bolduc - 67 ovr, top 6 pot
Snuggerud - Does not exist

Our prospects seem a bit low, namely Dvorak, Dean and Bolduc. Our D seem a bit high. Forwards look decent,. They nailed the lineup.
Hayes, Schenn and Vrana should t be a mere few points from our top line.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but does anyone live in KC and have a room to rent? I got hired by the railroad and need a place to crash while in training.
I don’t nor do I know anyone personally, but I’m pretty sure we have at least 1 or 2 KC people here, maybe they can help. Or maybe an extended stay hotel?

Reactions: Baby Doaner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad