Pre-Game Talk: Blues vs. Canucks — Is there a switch to flick?

Who ya got?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think we (as a club, but also us fans) need to be careful not to overreact to what we are seeing during this year's playoffs. I don't mean that we shouldn't make game-to-game adjustments based on how guys are playing (I would start Allen and either scratch Tank or move him down in lineup, for example), but that we shouldn't alter our view of them based on atypical situation.

Some guys are having harder time than others adjusting to bubble and playing in empty arenas. Some guys maybe were less game ready when they reported or need more time to get in rhythm. If we lose, I think we just write it off to unfortunate circumstances and move on. We saw enough of everyone over 70-game season (and previous years) that roster decisions should be made without regard to poor play in bubble.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If the Blues stay out of the box and start getting some bounces their way. I think they can make it a series.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
Whatever happens the rest of the series I really won't be too upset or overjoyed. I'm happy hockey is back and I am enjoying having something to watch again, but this just is not playoff hockey to me. Usually I am amped up for playoff games and thinking about it all day. This year? It feels like nothing more than a regular season game in January, minus the weather. This year will always have an asterisk next to it no matter who wins the cup. When they suspended the season the Blues were firing on all cylinders and had just won 10 of their last 12 games. 4.5 months off between games is longer than the off season was last year so it makes sense they aren't picking up right where they left off.

They need to get better goaltending. At a certain point your goalie has to make a big save if you want to win, just look at game 7 last year. Tarasenko needs to remember how to play hockey, which towards the end of the game it looked like he came more alive.

And for the love of all that is holy please stop giving Horvat breakaways. The Canucks are a good team though, credit where it's due. They remind me of a young Hawks team from 08 or 09. Couple pieces away from being really dangerous. Petterson is a freak.

Hank Hull

Aug 12, 2020
I think we (as a club, but also us fans) need to be careful not to overreact to what we are seeing during this year's playoffs.

I agree 100%. If we end up winning the Cup again, I'm still going to buy tons of merchandise like last year, but on the whole I'm not putting much stock in how guys perform after taking months off, getting isolated from their families, and playing in empty arenas.

Just as an example, it was my understanding that most fans (on other forums, at least) were afraid to overpay Petro because it could cost us Dunn down the road, yet last night I saw comments about never wanting to see Dunn suit up for us again.

If we still look disinterested come December I'll be concerned, but at this point I'm just glad to have Blues hockey on my TV again.

Reactions: Blueston

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I agree 100%. If we end up winning the Cup again, I'm still going to buy tons of merchandise like last year, but on the whole I'm not putting much stock in how guys perform after taking months off, getting isolated from their families, and playing in empty arenas.

Just as an example, it was my understanding that most fans (on other forums, at least) were afraid to overpay Petro because it could cost us Dunn down the road, yet last night I saw comments about never wanting to see Dunn suit up for us again.

If we still look disinterested come December I'll be concerned, but at this point I'm just glad to have Blues hockey on my TV again.

As hard and as negative as I have been on this team, I agree with you. We start up again in Dec/Jan and hopefully we can get fans back into the stadiums.

I just think we miscalculated (coaches and team leadership) on how to play bubble playoff hockey. It's a series of sprints, not a marathon. By the time our game gets into gear it will be a 1st round elimination.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
the covid cup will definitely be tainted and wont mean as much as a normal year. the whole "it will be harder to win this year and mean more" is a lame ass excuse. it wont.

its nice they are trying, but the covid cup is tainted.

league should have never had a play in. should have just took the top 8 and either start right there or have a round robin for all 8 teams for a few weeks.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I think we (as a club, but also us fans) need to be careful not to overreact to what we are seeing during this year's playoffs. I don't mean that we shouldn't make game-to-game adjustments based on how guys are playing (I would start Allen and either scratch Tank or move him down in lineup, for example), but that we shouldn't alter our view of them based on atypical situation.

Some guys are having harder time than others adjusting to bubble and playing in empty arenas. Some guys maybe were less game ready when they reported or need more time to get in rhythm. If we lose, I think we just write it off to unfortunate circumstances and move on. We saw enough of everyone over 70-game season (and previous years) that roster decisions should be made without regard to poor play in bubble.

100% agree @Blueston! This year is a completely different beast regarding these playoffs. With the climate outside of sports I wouldn't blame any other guys for having similar feelings to Tukka Rask either. I think a lot of guys around the league want to give their all for their team and the Cup but at the same time the climate outside of hockey also makes it difficult to fully concentrate on the hockey alone.

Reactions: Blueston

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
the covid cup will definitely be tainted and wont mean as much as a normal year. the whole "it will be harder to win this year and mean more" is a lame ass excuse. it wont.

its nice they are trying, but the covid cup is tainted.

league should have never had a play in. should have just took the top 8 and either start right there or have a round robin for all 8 teams for a few weeks.
Without question. The long regular season grind that puts successful teams in top playing form. Followed by teams giving it their all and of course feeding off of the intense atmosphere in the arenas, is what makes the NHL playoffs one of a kind.

In Rask’s last interview before they announced he was leaving he said something like “without the fans these feel like exhibiting games” and “I haven’t played hockey in forever so I am just trying by best with the little time we had to prepare”.

Reactions: TheDizee

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I agree. I really liked the quotes from Perron and Berube. The team remains confident and is getting better every game. I do think Allen will start next game.

I agree. The thing is though, the Blues can dominate and still lose if we continue to get “at best” average goaltending. They were clearly the better team in game 2. I expect Allen to play in game 3. Either he starts or Binnington gets a short leash.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I'm glad I'm wrong on getting swept. Lots more work to do.

Need to contain those speedy Canucks
Stop taking dumb penalties
Stop making dumb turn overs
Fore check like crazy...make their D fear getting hit.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Really glad Allen got win tonight. He got raves last year as teammate in helping emulate other goalies but didn’t have specific impact on ice. Can’t be easy to lose your job and then have replacement lead us to victory you wanted. He has been up and down goalie over his career but by all accounts is super pro. Great to see him rewarded. Whatever success we have this postseason wouldn’t have been possible without his win last night.

Reactions: TK 421 and mk80

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Berube has a very tough call to make about who starts tonight. Allen was dialed in last night. If this wasn't a B2B it would be a no brainer to start him in game 4. But starting a goalie twice in 24 hours is always a roll of the dice and Binner has (rightfully) been the starter all year. If we were up 2-1 I'd go back to Binner to see if he can play his way out of his funk. But down 2-1, I don't know that you have the luxury of putting in Binner and hoping he starts tracking the puck better. Watching Binner's eyes on goals against and a lot of his saves has been concerning. His positioning has been on point, but he just can't read the puck off the blade at all right now. With the practice ice constraints, I doubt he has had a ton of opportunity to work on tracking NHL caliber releases in the last couple days.

I think I'd go with Allen again tonight, because 63 shot attempts against last night is a low number for a game where he faced 41 shots in 75 minutes. But I can't say there is a "wrong" decision about which goalie to play tonight. Either way, whoever starts should have a short leash and there should be a very detailed "be ready" conversation with whoever starts the game in a a baseball hat.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Certainly some interesting decisions going into tonight's game on both sides. I suspect we go back to Binnington (on a short leash) but I'm only about 51/49 on that. Allen was wonderful last night, and I trust him more than "Restart Binnington" though not as much as "2019 Playoffs Binnington."

The intrigue on the Canucks' side has more to do with workload. Do they ride Markstrom, who was already showing some signs of fatigue last night with his rebound control, or do they turn to Demko, who has played well against us in limited duty? He missed some time due to injury before the pause and has seen a lot of rubber the last two games.

The back-to-back lends some intrigue in terms of play style, too. Normally, I would give the edge to the fast team over the physical team, unless the physical team was able to really wear the fast team down in the first game. I don't think that was the case, but the Blues seem to be finding their mojo and it may give them an advantage they might not otherwise have with the quick turnaround, especially against a relatively inexperienced team.

I don't know who will be on the ice this morning for the Blues, but for the love of all things holy PLEASE get that PP fixed. Their inability to function even semi-dangerously is inexcusable.

Even if Tarasenko draws back in, Kyrou has to stay. He never seemed to fit with Schenn and Schwartz before, but he was clicking last night with Schenn and Bozak. I'd leave those three together, leave Schwartz-ROR-Perron together, and run Sanford-Thomas-Tarasenko as the 3rd line. That drops Blais down to the 4th, but I think Blais-Sunny-MacMac might give the Canucks some matchup problems. If those combinations click, it should be easy to drop Barby onto that 4th line in Game 5 and put him between Blais and Sunny. On D, I think about giving one of Gunnar or Dunn the night off (likely Gunnar due to age and injury history) and run Faulk-Petro and Scandella-Parayko in the top two pairings, leaving Dunn/Gunnarsson to pair with Bortuzzo to help out with the PK.

Get those naps in folks. It's going to be another late one.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Game 5 is officially set for 9:30 on Wednesday, another long night ahead. Is it too much to ask that Colorado/Arizona play just one nightcap this round?

Especially considering that AZ and CO are a couple hours behind us so a 9:30 CST start time for them wouldn't be nearly as bad. I have no clue why they get the early game while a team in the central time zone gets the late game.

Reactions: TK 421

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Especially considering that AZ and CO are a couple hours behind us so a 9:30 CST start time for them wouldn't be nearly as bad. I have no clue why they get the early game while a team in the central time zone gets the late game.
It's completely f***ed up considering the Blues are the home-team in a lot of these late games. Hardly a benefit when playing against a West Coast club. I wonder how much of it has to do with the Blues finishing behind Vegas, Colorado and Dallas in the seedings...the four-seed gets the worst time slot? Though it probably has more to do with the markets and the anticipated ratings. (Blues fans will tune in at midnight if need be, so give the more fickle-fans in larger cities the best chance to tune in.)

Reactions: TK 421

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Certainly some interesting decisions going into tonight's game on both sides. I suspect we go back to Binnington (on a short leash) but I'm only about 51/49 on that. Allen was wonderful last night, and I trust him more than "Restart Binnington" though not as much as "2019 Playoffs Binnington."

The intrigue on the Canucks' side has more to do with workload. Do they ride Markstrom, who was already showing some signs of fatigue last night with his rebound control, or do they turn to Demko, who has played well against us in limited duty? He missed some time due to injury before the pause and has seen a lot of rubber the last two games.

The back-to-back lends some intrigue in terms of play style, too. Normally, I would give the edge to the fast team over the physical team, unless the physical team was able to really wear the fast team down in the first game. I don't think that was the case, but the Blues seem to be finding their mojo and it may give them an advantage they might not otherwise have with the quick turnaround, especially against a relatively inexperienced team.

I don't know who will be on the ice this morning for the Blues, but for the love of all things holy PLEASE get that PP fixed. Their inability to function even semi-dangerously is inexcusable.

Even if Tarasenko draws back in, Kyrou has to stay. He never seemed to fit with Schenn and Schwartz before, but he was clicking last night with Schenn and Bozak. I'd leave those three together, leave Schwartz-ROR-Perron together, and run Sanford-Thomas-Tarasenko as the 3rd line. That drops Blais down to the 4th, but I think Blais-Sunny-MacMac might give the Canucks some matchup problems. If those combinations click, it should be easy to drop Barby onto that 4th line in Game 5 and put him between Blais and Sunny. On D, I think about giving one of Gunnar or Dunn the night off (likely Gunnar due to age and injury history) and run Faulk-Petro and Scandella-Parayko in the top two pairings, leaving Dunn/Gunnarsson to pair with Bortuzzo to help out with the PK.

Get those naps in folks. It's going to be another late one.

These are the exact lines I wanna see tonight. Those forward groups sound like an absolute matchup nightmare, especially when Barbie comes back in game five.

Reactions: Veneficus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad