Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
They don’t need to replace Marner with another $12M forward. They can get two top four dmen or one and a second line centre for that money that will make them a better team.
two top 4 D and a 2nd line C will come in at 15 to 20m and if Marner doesn't waive and walks we don't have assets to acquire any of them , we also don't know if we can fill those spots from the ufa market

it's nice to think we can easily turn Marner into all these pieces but the chances of that happening are very slim , of course this is me assuming your talking about acquiring quality players not just random trash

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Who was the last true #1 dman this team drafted and developed? That tells you just how incompetent this organization has been since 1967. GMs like Imlach 2, Stellick, Floyd Smith, Mike Smith, JFJ, Fetch 2, Burke, Nonis and Dubas is GOLD when it comes to incompetence.
Yep. When they drafted Matthews the focus should have turned to finding, drafting and developing D.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I also counted Reaves and both of those guys are more likely than him playing.

Colorado ran 20 guys for multiple years and they turned out fine, I am sure the Leafs can if needed.

Is there a huge benefit to being able to sit guys in the pressbox?
there's a huge benefit to having quality players in your lineup that'll help you win , you'll probably the only Leaf fan that believes Timmins we'll be in our top 6 next year

but hey keeping doubling and tripling down how we only need to sign maybe 5 players for next year , lol

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
You take Rielly’s $7.5M and use it for a dman who can defend, is physical and can quarterback the PP. Give me Montour all day long.
No problem with Montour, but keep Reilly and ditch Mitch 10.5 and get dman and goalie.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Marner is as good as gone. If they can move Tavares, they should but I doubt they will. I see one more year of pain for you and many Leafs fans. They need to come up with a new "Plan" because the Shanaplan is a failure. Be great if they do not miss a beat but I expect them to take a small step back next year.
what if Marner doesn't waive and then the fans flip to trading Willie again , we've been back and forth so often on which one this board wants to trade it's gets me dizzy

the Shanaplan failed the second he hired Dubas and signed Captain Mumbles

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If they can trade him, great, but can they fill any holes if they do? They need third and fourth line players and draft picks and they can always eat 50% of his AAV.
getting solid depth isn't that hard if you have cap space , trade him to Utah or Chicago for futures considerations once his bonus is paid

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
what if Marner doesn't waive and then the fans flip to trading Willie again , we've been back and forth on which one this board wants to trade it's gets me dizzy

They need to ask all 5 about waiving and then get the best deal for the team.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
what if Marner doesn't waive and then the fans flip to trading Willie again , we've been back and forth on which one this board wants to trade it's gets me dizzy

Willy also has a NMC and is signed for 8 years. I am pretty much convinced Marner will waive.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
They’re pretty much toast right now and I feel like Treliving has it in him to disappoint.
From that point of view they've been pretty much toast for a while. Tre made them a bit better this year, so I'm willing to give him a chance to see what he can do to fix the Mitch and JT problems.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
And why would either party do that?

Matthews might also waive.
I'd shop him looking to sell high but it is the Leafs but if they keep tripping over themselves, he might walk for nothing in 4 years. Hell if the team continues to start GOLF season in early May, fans will be calling for his head.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I've already posted on this before, and had private conversations about this, too, with some of you...so I just would like to reiterate that until someone shows me a source other than Marner and Ferris about supposed offer sheets, I will not consider this as 'confirmed' one way or another. I would assume it remains a standard part of the agent toolkit to orchestrate, inflate or even invent offers -- at least it was in my day when I knew about these things first hand.

I would suspect Dubas and Marner remain keen to keep the details from public view -- the general consensus about the contract among pundits and fans alike is negative, I think it's fair to say. It's the main reason we'll likely be seeing Marner in another uniform next year, like it or not. That said, some people know the truth of these things and I'm actually mildly surprised we don't have a more on-the-record third party account of the supposed offer sheets outside of the Marner camp.
Agreed with this. Unless an offer sheet is actually signed by the player, what is there to be worried about? Even if he does sign a contract above what we are willing to match, I glady take 3 or 4 first round picks. I don't think any GM is ever going to pay that price for any player, maybe even McDavid.

Also would like to add about when O-dog called Dreger out on radio about the offer sheet rumors saying something like "Guys like Point, Rantanen etc. are RFAs as well and we aren't hearing any rumors of these guys being offer sheeted, so why only Marner?"

Reactions: William Johnson

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Willy also has a NMC and is signed for 8 years. I am pretty much convinced Marner will waive.
do you actually think Willie having an nmc and 8 yrs left will stop people from wanting to trade him ? lol

if you ask Marner to waive and he says no you just pissed off a guy who holds all the cards and could walk and we get nothing , even if he waives i doubt it'll be probably be for only a team or two and who knows if he'd be willing to sign an extension without testing the ufa market which would also lower the return

if we tell JT we're not extending him chances are he'll waive and if he gets pissed off and doesn't who cares

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
From that point of view they've been pretty much toast for a while. Tre made them a bit better this year, so I'm willing to give him a chance to see what he can do to fix the Mitch and JT problems.
There’s no other choice but to see if Treliving can make them competitive. I don’t know how long of a rope he has, but when you’re told in public that you’re no longer in the business of selling sweaters and that winning in the playoffs is all that matters, everything has to be on the table.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
No problem with Montour, but keep Reilly and ditch Mitch 10.5 and get dman and goalie.
I get it but Rielly is only going to get worse as his skating is his biggest asset and at 30 he’s already slowing down. If there was no salary cap, I would keep Rielly but given that there is that money can be better used elsewhere like a good second line centre.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'd shop him looking to sell high but it is the Leafs but if they keep tripping over themselves, he might walk for nothing in 4 years. Hell if the team continues to start GOLF season in early May, fans will be calling for his head.
He’s one of the reasons they trip over themselves in the playoffs. He has played 50 playoff games and has been mediocre in how many of them? 35-40?

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
do you actually think Willie having an nmc and 8 yrs left will stop people from wanting to trade him ? lol

if you ask Marner to waive and he says no you just pissed off a guy who holds all the cards and could walk and we get nothing , even if he waives i doubt it'll be probably be for only a team or two and who knows if he'd be willing to sign an extension without testing the ufa market which would also lower the return

if we tell JT we're not extending him chances are he'll waive and if he gets pissed off and doesn't who cares
Who cares? Unless Willie regresses and shits the bed, he is not going anywhere soon.

Staying here may not be in Marner's best interests. If he wants anything close to the Willie deal, it won't be here. He will waive.

As for JT, you can ask but I doubt they do. He came here via UFA and is captain. Slim chance he is moved.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He’s one of the reasons they trip over themselves in the playoffs. He has played 50 playoff games and has been mediocre in how many of them? 35-40?
Agreed I have my concerns that he does not have what it takes to win a SC, but he is a unicorn and you are probably not getting anything close to his talent, in which case you have to hope they surround him with the right players now that they are going to move off the core.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
two top 4 D and a 2nd line C will come in at 15 to 20m and if Marner doesn't waive and walks we don't have assets to acquire any of them , we also don't if we can fill those from the ufa market

it's nice to think we can easily turn Marner into all these pieces but the chances of that happening are very slim , of course this is me assuming your talking about acquiring quality players not just random trash
Sign Random trash for $12M. Only Dubas would do that. Check what other teams pay second pairing dmen and 2nd line centres. That $12M can help make the team a real cup contender. Vegas alone has six UFA’s who could help the Leafs. It may take two years because they might still have Tavares next season but what’s one more year when they’ve done nothing in the playoffs the last eight. Changes are needed and coming.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
we get cap space and they get a name they can market for a year dirt cheap
A name they can market? He’s not even a name, Utah has some pretty good young players and Chicago has Bedard.
They may take him if the Leafs threw in a pick and I can’t fathom why the Leafs would do that. He might be a decent TDL chip.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Who cares? Unless Willie regresses and shits the bed, he is not going anywhere soon.

Staying here may not be in Marner's best interests. If he wants anything close to the Willie deal, it won't be here. He will waive.

As for JT, you can ask but I doubt they do. He came here via UFA and is captain. Slim chance he is moved.
so if we don't offer JT an extension you think he'll retire instead of moving to a different city ?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

You think the fam wants to move? I am including mom and dad here as well as others. Nope; much easier to go downtown and watch Mitch play. Money not that important anymore.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

There are always people who are willing to trade anyone and everyone, but Willy has made as much if not more of a career commitment to Toronto, so I don't see any reason to ask him to waive.

I don't think JT will waive - he'll play here next year, and if we don't re-sign him he'll retire, quite possibly to a non-playing position here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad