Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Whacky5

Jun 9, 2019
You think the fam wants to move? I am including mom and dad here as well as others. Nope much easier to go downtown and watch Mitch play. Money not that important anymore.
I really don't give a f*** if mommy and daddy can't go to games.. boo hooo. Another thing for the Marners to cry about. This isn't the Toronto Marner Leafs.

You guys are really reaching here with this Marner crap. If he doesn't waive his NMC, he can walk for free for all I care. I want the team culture to change. It's too much entitlement for this little pip squeak.

The Matthews are fine to fly here from Arizona, why can't the Marner's? Are they royalty here? f*** this family.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Sign Random trash for $12M. Only Dubas would do that. Check what other teams pay second pairing dmen and 2nd line centres. That $12M can help make the team a real cup contender. Vegas alone has six UFA’s who could help the Leafs. It may take two years because they might still have Tavares next season but what’s one more year when they’ve done nothing in the playoffs the last eight. Changes are needed and coming.
team aren't just going give us there quality players on sweetheart like Dubas did for Col when he gifted them Kadri so chances are those pieces will cost more than 4m per on avg

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I really don't give a f*** if mommy and daddy can't go to games.. boo hooo. Another thing for the Marners to cry about. This isn't the Toronto Marner Leafs.

You guys are really reaching here with this Marner crap. If he doesn't waive his NMC, he can walk for free for all I care. I want the team culture to change. It's too much entitlement for this little pip squeak.

The Matthews are fine to fly here from Arizona, why can't the Marner's? Are they royalty here? f*** this family.
Well you might not but Mitch and the fam do and they control the situation. lol!

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
A name they can market? He’s not even a name, Utah has some pretty good young players and Chicago has Bedard.
They may take him if the Leafs threw in a pick and I can’t fathom why the Leafs would do that. He might be a decent TDL chip.
he's a name , he'll cost them almost nothing in real salary and then they can dump him at the t'd , win win all the way around

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
he's a name , he'll cost them almost nothing in real salary and then they can dump him at the t'd , win win all the way around
Good luck selling that to Chicago or Utah. It makes absolutely no sense.

Why wouldn’t the Leafs trade him at the TDL? They need assets more than Utah.

Whacky5

Jun 9, 2019
Well you might not but Mitch and the fam do and they control the situation. lol!
Do they? Let's see how he performs, when the fans are all over him booing him for every little thing he does on the ice, and then facing the evil media people, all while able to perform for his next contract, in which he thinks he deserves. lol I think he should just go. For money sakes, because that's all he cares about. Can't disappoint daddy.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
There are always people who are willing to trade anyone and everyone, but Willy has made as much if not more of a career commitment to Toronto, so I don't see any reason to ask him to waive.

I don't think JT will waive - he'll play here next year, and if we don't re-sign him he'll retire, quite possibly to a non-playing position here.
JT won't retire and if we don't re-sign him it'll make your head spin how quick he packs his family and moves

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
.Good luck selling that to Chicago or Utah. It makes absolutely no sense.

Why wouldn’t the Leafs trade him at the TDL? They need assets more than Utah.
how doesn't it make sense for both those teams

-Chicago has plenty of cap space and gave vets big money last year so 1 yr of JT should appeal to them
-Utah also has plenty of cap space they're new market and JT is still a name

the Leafs need his cap now , not assets at the t/d

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
and what are they gonna do a year later? he's moving like it or not so why not do it a year earlier if it comes with benefits?
What benefits? Is it possible to pay an incentive to leave? Fans will cheer when he plays well and boo when he screws up. I’m sure he is prepared for that or already has seen it.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
JT won't retire and if we don't re-sign him it'll make your head spin how quick he packs his family and moves
I think that very much depends on what kind of offers he gets. He's already made close to $100M. What if the best offer he gets is $3M x 3 from Calgary?

Reactions: Confucius

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
What benefits? Is it possible to pay an incentive to leave? Fans will cheer when he plays well and boo when he screws up. I’m sure he is prepared for that or already has seen it.
For one, an 8th year. If they keep him off PP1 and play him with Tavares, his point totals will suffer which probably means less money when he walks to FA and can only sign for 7 years. Ferris will look for every dollar. Once he figures out that that is not here, they will waive.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
how doesn't it make sense for both those teams

-Chicago has plenty of cap space and gave vets big money last year so 1 yr of JT should appeal to them
-Utah also has plenty of cap space they're new market and JT is still a name

the Leafs need his cap now , not assets at the t/d
Tavares is not a name and Utah has a couple of young studs to market.

Have you ever heard JT talk? He’s too boring even for Canadians and you expect him to inspire a new market?

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I think that very much depends on what kind of offers he gets. He's already made close to $100M. What if the best offer he gets is $3M x 3 from Calgary?
The time when clubs and fans may get discounts is at the end of playing careers but if we chase the players away well then we miss out on an opportunity. Expecting a discount from a twenty something player is insanity.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
For one, an 8th year. If they keep him off PP1 and play him with Tavares, his point totals will suffer which probably means less money when he walks to FA and can only sign for 7 years. Ferris will look for every dollar. Once he figures out that that is not here, they will waive.
At the end of next year he will have banked about 75 million, add another 7 years of pay, I’d be surprised if he is concerned about year 8 pay

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If he really wants to be a Leaf the only way to test that is to let him walk to FA, you have to let him see first hand where his "comparable to Matthews" gets him in negotiations with other teams. Leafs are gonna have a ton of open cap at that point anyway, if it's a situation of highest bidder wins the Leafs should be able to win that anyway if they really wanna keep him.

Don't overpay him in the middle of a hotstreak like with Nylander, Treliving was very dumb on that one.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
That actually seems likely. Older players usually like to go to lesser teams on lesser deals to just play casually and pad up their earnings before they end their playing career.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He would likely take that if he wasn't already seriously considering retirement. Players on the cusp of retirement aren't necessarily having seasons like he had this past year (which would be quality value at a lesser AAV). A 3x3 contract should also be feasible to move to a contender at some point if the situation isn't working out in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad