Player Discussion: Brandon Hagel

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Patrick Kane is severely underrated if he made this guy look like a top-6 forward. Gave him a long leash but he really needs to start converting, he does aggressively forecheck but he's not very strong on the puck and ends up panic dumping it or throwing it right back to the other team.

But yeah I think it is what it is this season, he's not going to magically improve when there's 10 games left in the season max. You just hope he fills out more of his frame, gets stronger for next season and that this isn't us getting Conacher'd.
The biggest issue is his strength. Great speed and tenacity but as soon as the wind blows, he's knocked off the puck. Offensively, he's been mediocre. Even then that's being kind. I don't see anything good with his shot at all. His hands are nothing to ride home about. He looks like a smarter version of Joseph....but I'm afraid to say... I think Joseph would have scored more than him with these opportunities.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The biggest issue is his strength. Great speed and tenacity but as soon as the wind blows, he's knocked off the puck. Offensively, he's been mediocre. Even then that's being kind. I don't see anything good with his shot at all. His hands are nothing to ride home about. He looks like a smarter version of Joseph....but I'm afraid to say... I think Joseph would have scored more than him with these opportunities.
The majority of his goals in Chiacgo came from right in front of the net, easier when you have someone like Kane directing pucks there but those types of goal scorers are wildly inconsistent. Difference between Hagel and Joseph is Joseph can create plays out of nothing, Joseph's speed is an actual weapon - not just on breakaways but coming out of corners. Hagel is fast, for sure but him being so weak on the puck takes away from that since his opponent can still get there 2nd and win the battle and again, he panics with the puck alot.

Hindsight is 20/20 but could've just kept Raddysh/Joseph and throw a 1st over for Paul instead.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Hagel's been fine for where he's been positioned. He's not being asked to be a top 6 scoring winger(yet), and he's doing fine as a shutdown 3rd line type. He's still getting some good offensive chances, just not converting as much so far. Joseph wasn't doing anything great offensively in that role either, and Raddysh was meh unless he was getting a top 6 role(which was likely never to happen in Tampa). Coleman was no better his 1st 10 games with Tampa, but he then had an extra 3 or 4 months to mesh with Gourde and Goodrow and get more acclimated to the team. It's still way too early to say the Hagel trade was a mistake.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
The majority of his goals in Chiacgo came from right in front of the net, easier when you have someone like Kane directing pucks there but those types of goal scorers are wildly inconsistent. Difference between Hagel and Joseph is Joseph can create plays out of nothing, Joseph's speed is an actual weapon - not just on breakaways but coming out of corners. Hagel is fast, for sure but him being so weak on the puck takes away from that since his opponent can still get there 2nd and win the battle and again, he panics with the puck alot.

Hindsight is 20/20 but could've just kept Raddysh/Joseph and throw a 1st over for Paul instead.
we needed to get our PK better, and hagel and paul have done that. thats pretty much it. whether it was worth it or not depends on if we win a cup, i guess.

but i dont think we're still having GDT without either of them, personally. our PK wasnt great pre-TDL

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
we needed to get our PK better, and hagel and paul have done that. thats pretty much it. whether it was worth it or not depends on if we win a cup, i guess.

but i dont think we're still having GDT without either of them, personally. our PK wasnt great pre-TDL

Hagel doesn't PK, it's Killorn, Cirelli, Paul and Bellmaire. I definitely think we'd still be here without Hagel but regardless his price also comes with what he does/what we do next year also.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The guy has blocked some big clappers to keep us in games. Not sure Joseph would’ve done that.

He's blocked more shots than Hagel this year but regardless of block totals, what makes you say that? If anything Joseph has more commitment to this team and his teammates, I don't think Joseph commits as many turnovers as Hagel does this run either.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Patrick Kane is severely underrated if he made this guy look like a top-6 forward. Gave him a long leash but he really needs to start converting, he does aggressively forecheck but he's not very strong on the puck and ends up panic dumping it or throwing it right back to the other team.

But yeah I think it is what it is this season, he's not going to magically improve when there's 10 games left in the season max. You just hope he fills out more of his frame, gets stronger for next season and that this isn't us getting Conacher'd.
I think it's fine. The guy is young and probably needs just more time to settle in and get a good fit into our system. I'm very happy we got him, he'll be a great asset in the next couple of seasons, he has good potential to grow.

Reactions: LordZapp

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
One good game (if that) every series isn't enough to warrant 2 first round draft picks.

This guy is a disgrace to a Bolts' sweater and a stain on Brisebois' legacy during this great run. He might be the faulty leg making the table topple over.

2 first round draft picks and we all should expect him to be pushing for a Conn Smythe, scoring 8-10 goals in these playoffs with 16-25 total points.

And yes, I hope he reads this.

Live look at Hagel:

dumpsterfire-1.jpg

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
He gets so many looks due to his speed and never creates anything. Has the offensive prowess of a roll of toilet paper. Shoots at goalies chests non stop.

I didn't expect him to bag 20 goals but goodness man, this guy is the faster play killing version of Killorn. They deserve each other. Now I feel bad ragging on Cirelli dealing with these two.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He gets so many looks due to his speed and never creates anything. Has the offensive prowess of a roll of toilet paper. Shoots at goalies chests non stop.

I didn't expect him to bag 20 goals but goodness man, this guy is the faster play killing version of Killorn. They deserve each other. Now I feel bad ragging on Cirelli dealing with these two.

Paid 4 1sts for Matthew Joseph.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Paid 4 1sts for Matthew Joseph.
I mean, somebody else would have probably played the role but I doubt Joseph would've been this bad. Seriously.

"Hustle, speed, give him time" and all that jazz, but when the puck is on your stick that often and you have two empty netters and basically another in front of Campbell in round 1 to account for your offense, it's not good enough. Paid a premium for a young player on a cheap deal and that player is one dimensional.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

Bozo Nicholson

5 Alarm Fire™
Jun 6, 2015
Hawks fans were raving about this guy.

Is he the real deal or was it Patty Kane all along? Guess we’ll know for sure next season, surely he’ll be fully acclimated by then.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I don't know what JBB expected Hagel to be, but I know it isn't this. JBB got it right with Goodrow, Coleman, and Savard, he got it very wrong with Hagel (and Bellemare).

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I don't know what JBB expected Hagel to be, but I know it isn't this. JBB got it right with Goodrow, Coleman, and Savard, he got it very wrong with Hagel (and Bellemare).
Coop said during the playoffs that they kinda forced Hagel into a shutdown / energy role. Whether that’s why he doesn’t produce much or that’s because he doesn’t produce much (on his own) is up for question.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
I’m pretty surprised by the lack of creativity. He looked like he had good reads with Chicago. With us the puck either dies on his stick or he dumps it in innocuously.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I mean Joseph is still way worse defensively, so there's that.

If Hagel is all Kane, then putting him with Kucherov next season should solve everything.

Reactions: Bozo Nicholson

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Coop said during the playoffs that they kinda forced Hagel into a shutdown / energy role. Whether that’s why he doesn’t produce much or that’s because he doesn’t produce much (on his own) is up for question.

That's not the issue, he and his line are getting chances, the issue is him not finishing any chances he gets, and he gets quite a bit. They were excused in the TO series cause we won but he's getting those same chances this series and again not finishing. He's a black hole offensively because all plays die on his stick, that's a not because he's too busy playing defense. If anything it might be the pressure of his first playoffs and he's severely overwhelmed cause the guy is missing empty net tap ins.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I mean Joseph is still way worse defensively, so there's that.

If Hagel is all Kane, then putting him with Kucherov next season should solve everything.

He was definitely not "way worse" defensively, there's nothing that suggest that and Joseph was a staple on the PK which could definitely use some help right now. They're pretty close given what Hagel has shown so far - they have a lot of similar problems but different strengths, either way we can all admit Hagel has not lived up to his price tag right now. He was attained for cost control yes but he was also supposed to be a very effective/value player for his caphit to boost a capstrapped team, we're not getting that, we're getting a 1.5m depth player who has 2 points in his last 15 games.

Every GM is going to drop the ball once in awhile, this one might be JBB's.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Joseph wasn't great on the PK he just got a lot of breakaways on it that he didn't score on. The PK improved after that trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad