Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills - Week 7: Bye week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Maybe in hindsight this game ends up being a positive for us. With our remaining schedule the last thing we want is for them to feast on these bottom dwellers and think they're untouchable. We have a team that has a great shot of winning it all this year, but sometimes the media can sway your opinion on just how good a team is. A nice kick in the ass, dare I say.

I think we need some changes on the O-line big time.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
He's hurt and on PUP right now, but assuming he's healthy and the Bears are rebuilding, I'd love if they could swing a trade for Tarik Cohen. Singletary and Moss have mostly been fine, but we still clearly lack a plus option coming out of the backfield on passing plays. I'm so sick of seeing screen plays and other passes to the RB look way harder and clunkier than need be. Would love to bring a healthy Cohen in explicitly for that purpose.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I stayed out of the GDT. My post-game comments:

Griese made several errors and seemed disconnected, IMO. I like Riddick, and liked him in his pre-MNF roles. He was maybe a little too talkative for my liking last night, but it could have been my nerves / anxiety because the Bills were playing.

It certainly was entertaining, regardless of whether one had their favorite team in the game or not. Neutral fans across the country saw some pretty good football.

Pretty decent probability that without the hold, the tackle would have been made, and no TD scored.

Is that true? That the QB sneak play call was McDermott's, not Daboll's? Didn't listen / read any post-game stuff.

I was immediately fine with going for it... (read on)

Hated the play call itself (which I think you are saying), but I like the decision to go for it, vs. kicking, because:
1. Bills were on the road, and the Titans match up well against the Bills.
2. Bills D-line wasn't getting enough pressure on Tannehill, and/or when they did, he was able to scramble and not be sacked.
3. Bills D-backs had no solution for Titans WR Brown in the 2nd half.
4. Bills D couldn't get a stop when they needed in in the second half. I had little to no confidence the Bills D could stop the Titans if the Titans won the toss, or, if the Bills won the toss and drove for a FG and the Titans got their guaranteed possession.
5. Henry was getting stronger as the game wore on.

Agreed

Agreed. I also like having the ball in Allen's hands at the end of the game, but would have wanted an RPO play there (fake left, move right). Or lineup, a two TE, 2 wideout right, halfback or H-back right "student body" right play with a naked bootleg left, like @7:15 in this clip. I'd trust Allen's size speed to make the left edge and beat/outmuscle a corner with a left TE blocking the right outside DE / LB.

Re: the bolded, that is as it should be.

Bills had no solution for his scrambling to extend plays.

Exactly this point. Bills punch in 1 more TD in lieu of a FG, and it's a different outcome. Final drive doesn't even matter.
Has perhaps the best name in the NFL.

Agreed. And Henry is a threat to win any game he plays in.

Which is not a problem. No different than completing a pass to the 1 yd line and calling time out, and having 1st and goal from the 1yd line. Doesn't matter how they got there.

Dude was unstoppable in College and Pros. No shame in him beating you, especially when Bills offense left points on the field.

Or sooner.

It went both ways. Bills got him several times TFL or no/small gain. He also imposed his will a few times. Take away his long TD, and he averaged 3.5 ypc on his remaining 19 carries (again, several of those were intermediate gains to his credit and several were TFL to the Bills credit. I think most teams would take 1 long gainer for a TD and contain Henry to 3.5ypc on a remaining 19 carries.

I was at the game……

Allen slipped and lost footing on 4 th down. I get going for it. I wouldn’t gave done a pure sneak play like hat. I look at more of a two point play call.

there was a bunch of plays that made a difference. Undo one or two the bills win….

1. the long run
2 The 50 yr 3rd doen pass thst got thrm a FG
3 The int that gave then a TD or just hold thrm to a FG
4 the early long drive into red zone for FGs. On had penalty kill a TD
5 Penalty on return.
6 green decision….need I say more

Reactions: brian_griffin

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
IMHO, we likely are going into week 13 with 9 wins (Miami, @Jacksonville, @Jets, Colts, @Saints, New England)

9-3 with a remaining schedule of @Tampa, Carolina, @New England, Atlanta, Jets

That SHOULD be a 12 or 13 win schedule. Easily good enough for the division, not likely good enough for the bye, sadly. It doesn't help we've got 2 AFC losses already for the tiebreaker.

Yeah, I think our absolute worst case scenario is 12 wins. And that involves us losing a game we'd be heavy favorites in. Heck, simply winning the games that we're going to be favorites in leads to 14 wins with only the TB game left (assuming we're favorites over Indy and NO). Outside of those 3 games, we're going to be 7-10 point favorites in every game remaining. The one thing that's consistent with McDermott teams -- we don't have a habit of losing games we should easily win.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Maybe in hindsight this game ends up being a positive for us. With our remaining schedule the last thing we want is for them to feast on these bottom dwellers and think they're untouchable. We have a team that has a great shot of winning it all this year, but sometimes the media can sway your opinion on just how good a team is. A nice kick in the ass, dare I say.

I think we need some changes on the O-line big time.
o line definitely needs restructuring

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
He's hurt and on PUP right now, but assuming he's healthy and the Bears are rebuilding, I'd love if they could swing a trade for Tarik Cohen. Singletary and Moss have mostly been fine, but we still clearly lack a plus option coming out of the backfield on passing plays. I'm so sick of seeing screen plays and other passes to the RB look way harder and clunkier than need be. Would love to bring a healthy Cohen in explicitly for that purpose.

Cohen is too expensive for what he is & i don't see the Bears being in any rush to move him. They only recently signed him & he's a great compliment to Montgomery. He's more important to them than he'd be for us. I know he's exactly your type of player.

Bills have a very complete roster. At this point the only realistic improvement is replacing Ford/Boettger & moving Williams back outside. If Knox is out for any period of time we're going to need a TE as well.

Last edited:

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
o line definitely needs restructuring
Hindsight being 20/20, I wish they would've taken Humphrey over Basham in the draft. The interior of the o-line inspires little to no confidence aside from Morse. Williams has been decent at RG but nothing great. Mongo has ranged from outright bad to meh to average or a bit above it.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Hindsight being 20/20, I wish they would've taken Humphrey over Basham in the draft. The interior of the o-line inspires little to no confidence aside from Morse. Williams has been decent at RG but nothing great. Mongo has ranged from outright bad to meh to average or a bit above it.

Basham was an awful pick IMO - especially after using the R1 on Rousseau. There were plenty of good IOL options with the R2. Hindsight isn't even needed here!

I wonder how Wyatt Teller would look had he not been traded? I don't want to be critical of Beane & sometimes a change of scenery transforms players... But this looks like a mistake.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Basham was an awful pick IMO - especially after using the R1 on Rousseau. There were plenty of good IOL options with the R2. Hindsight isn't even needed here!

I wonder how Wyatt Teller would look had he not been traded? I don't want to be critical of Beane & sometimes a change of scenery transforms players... But this looks like a mistake.

Even if Teller panned out the same here, he's way more of a run blocker than a pass blocker. I'm not sure that he solves the problem we're having.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Even if Teller panned out the same here, he's way more of a run blocker than a pass blocker. I'm not sure that he solves the problem we're having.

He is - but i don't think it's quite as important on the inside. Particularly if you're having him play next to very good pass blockers in Dawkins or Williams. Basically I don't see Teller being much worse than Ford in any facet.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
They beat themselves. Titans fans were sure quiet during 95% of the game but after it every one of them wanted to be walking tall running their mouths as everyone streamed out. Great city but Titan fans are douch bags. f***ing furious the Bills lost like they did, we took over the city and they play like that. It was literally 75% Bills fans all weekend it was great. Hopefully the New Orleans trip will be more rewarding on the scoreboard.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

It's hard to say because Teller was a bad scheme fit. He's a big power run blocker which we don't do much of here. But then again if a player is that talented maybe you can design the scheme around them to cover their deficiencies.

I agree with the previous poster that mentioned Creed Humphrey. I had a first round grade on him and think he would've been a steal in the second. Basham still looks like a good player, but man we could use an upgrade at interior OL.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
Spencer Brown was atrocious, just a bit surprised he isn't getting talked about more here. I noticed him basically every other play (and not in a good way).
He got beat horribly, once. Twice Josh Allen rolled to the right for no reason whatsoever that led to pressure on that side. I didn't notice his run blocking, he may have sucked there, I just don't know without watching the replay which I am unwilling to put myself through.

Now Williams in the Steelers game was truly atrocious at RT

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Spencer Brown was atrocious, just a bit surprised he isn't getting talked about more here. I noticed him basically every other play (and not in a good way).

If you read through the live comments during the game, we roasted him early and often. And it was well deserved.

Guess there's no reason to beat the dead horse of a rookie?

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
If you read through the live comments during the game, we roasted him early and often. And it was well deserved.

Guess there's no reason to beat the dead horse of a rookie?
Here is today's Buffalo News (Mark Gaughan) take after reviewing game:
Rookie Spencer Brown also was excellent in pass protection under tough circumstances on the road. He gave up the QB hit on the interception, getting beaten by Denico Autry. But he gave up only one other hurry. He single-blocked Bud Dupree nine times on true pass block situations (not quick screens) and single blocked Harold Landry twice. No hurries in those situations. He got some assistance from Dawson Knox on a few occasions. Brown and guard Daryl Williams also did some good work moving the pile on combination run blocks. Three starts into his season, Brown has a strong grip on the right tackle job

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I personally don't recall Brown standing out in a terrible way. I feel like pressure was coming up the middle a lot, with Feliciano and Williams both getting beat with speed moves often.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Bills could use some hog mollies up front like Cleveland's got. Created some nice running lanes tonight, though D'Ernest Johnson did way more than just take what was given to him

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
I personally don't recall Brown standing out in a terrible way. I feel like pressure was coming up the middle a lot, with Feliciano and Williams both getting beat with speed moves often.

Agreed. For a rookie, he has been damn impressive. Lots of 1st round tackles take a year or two to get up to speed. The dude is going to be very good once he works on his technique. His problem is the height is both a blessing and a curse in the leverage game.

Both guards are the problem and I think their poor play brings Morse down too.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Chris Spielman tricked into reading an announcement that he is being inducted into the Lions Ring of Honor.

A relative worked in the Bills front office when Spielman was part of the team. At some family function she asked if I wanted a signed jersey, easy yes, then she said the choices were Flutie or Spielman, I asked which they had more of and Speilman was the answer so I went with his jersey. It lasted for awhile but eventually was worn too much and the signature faded then the numbering came off. They issued AFC Championship rings, possibly for all four years, so she still has those except she wears them as part of a necklace.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Agreed. For a rookie, he has been damn impressive. Lots of 1st round tackles take a year or two to get up to speed. The dude is going to be very good once he works on his technique. His problem is the height is both a blessing and a curse in the leverage game.

Both guards are the problem and I think their poor play brings Morse down too.

Yeah, IOL remains a major weakness for this team. I'd love to see Beane make a move or 2 on that front before the trade deadline. This is a year to really go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad