C Ivan Ryabkin - MHK Dynamo Moscow, MHL (2025 Draft)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It looks like the MHL has the same age distribution as the Canadian/American Juniors.

94 sixteen year olds (some but most 16 year olds stay in the minor system)
262 seventeen year olds
387 eighteen year olds
336 nineteen year olds (not quite like Canadian juniors, which have a plurality of 19 year olds because kids get called up from Junior A, but both graduate out prematurely, 19 year olds aren't barred from VHL like Canadian Junior guys are barred from AHL, USHL tends to have roughly identical 18 and 19 year olds because 18 year olds graduate to the NCAA pretty regularly)
113 twenty year olds (maybe have the same restrictions on the number of 20 year olds allowed to roster)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
16+17 after 29 games. PPG wise he's on the better pace in his first MHL season than Kucherov and Michkov were. Michkov was 8 months younger though.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
16+17 after 29 games. PPG wise he's on the better pace in his first MHL season than Kucherov and Michkov were. Michkov was 8 months younger though.
michkov had 52 points in 28 MHL games in his D-1 season
plus 5 points in 13 KHL games

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Amazing

PPG U17
Ryabkin 1,25
Kucherov 1,02
Michkov 1,00

A candidate to challenge James Hagens & Michael Misa.

Center, Bigger. To be continued if he joins USHL next year.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Amazing

PPG U17
Ryabkin 1,25
Kucherov 1,02
Michkov 1,00

A candidate to challenge James Hagens & Michael Misa.

Center, Bigger. To be continued if he joins USHL next year.

Ryabkin is 8 months older than Michkov was in his first MHL season, though. Still very impressive season for sure given who Kucherov is.

And I doubt he'll leave Russia for USHL.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Ryabkin is 8 months older than Michkov was in his first MHL season, though. Still very impressive season for sure given who Kucherov is.

And I doubt he'll leave Russia for USHL.

8 months is not much (7 and a half months if we want to be more precise). It's the year of birth that really matters. There is thus a greater sporting gap between a player born in December and another born in February of the following year because the two players were not able to access the age categories at the same time.

In any case, there is a statistical gap which compensates for this situation.The fact that Ryabkin is 2 inches taller and a center matters more.At 16, Michkov had already signed his contract until 2026. Ryabkin is still under a junior contract. So if he wants to play in the USHL, he can. His destiny is in his hands. Other players did it before him (Yegorov, Chaly, Gridin)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
8 months is not much (7 and a half months if we want to be more precise). It's the year of birth that really matters. There is thus a greater sporting gap between a player born in December and another born in February of the following year because the two players were not able to access the age categories at the same time.

In any case, there is a statistical gap which compensates for this situation.The fact that Ryabkin is 2 inches taller and a center matters more.At 16, Michkov had already signed his contract until 2026. Ryabkin is still under a junior contract. So if he wants to play in the USHL, he can. His destiny is in his hands. Other players did it before him (Yegorov, Chaly, Gridin)

Yeah, but it's exactly what Putin meant when he said Russia would have to outlaw such moves. Because unlike Canadian kids Ryabkin has been playing hockey and developing for free, Dinamo covers all expenses, and does it not to let the kid goes to NA. Then again Dinamo had two 18 year old kids in its last game in the KHL. One of them scored 3 points. So unlike SKA they let kids play, maybe Ryabkin will play in the big league as soon as next season so why would he go to USHL? To get more chances for 1st OA at the draft? With the way he plays he'll go top5 no matter from Russia or US...

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Yeah, but it's exactly what Putin meant when he said Russia would have to outlaw such moves. Because unlike Canadian kids Ryabkin has been playing hockey and developing for free, Dinamo covers all expenses, and does it not to let the kid goes to NA. Then again Dinamo had two 18 year old kids in its last game in the KHL. One of them scored 3 points. So unlike SKA they let kids play, maybe Ryabkin will play in the big league as soon as next season so why would he go to USHL? To get more chances for 1st OA at the draft? With the way he plays he'll go top5 no matter from Russia or US...

Certainly, but the Yurov case was not that different and he was not an SKA player.

Why play in the USHL ? Because he will have a lot of playing time, because the level is significantly higher than in MHL, because the USHL/NCAA transition may seem more profitable to him, because he will be on a permanent team. This is a possibility that is being considered. As long as he doesn't sign a KHL contract, it's possible and something to watch.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Who is a better prospect Ryabkin or Demidov? I know he might not be on Michkov level but who would you take first if Ryabkin was 2024 NHL draft eligible

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Certainly, but the Yurov case was not that different and he was not an SKA player.

Why play in the USHL ? Because he will have a lot of playing time, because the level is significantly higher than in MHL, because the USHL/NCAA transition may seem more profitable to him, because he will be on a permanent team. This is a possibility that is being considered. As long as he doesn't sign a KHL contract, it's possible and something to watch.

I doubt the USHL is that much better than MHL.
Gridin is currently 2nd in points in the USHL, and he’s nowhere close to Demidov or Ryabkin’s level.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

I don't agree with you. MHL is at the very least on par with USHL. Look at all those U17 and U18 tournaments, when Russia still played at them. They mostly were MHL vs USHL vs CHL, and Russian teams won significant part of them.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I doubt the USHL is that much better than MHL.
Gridin is currently 2nd in points in the USHL, and he’s nowhere close to Demidov or Ryabkin’s level.
Look at the rosters and count the number of players drafted.

On one side you have a Russian junior league of around thirty teams and on the other an American junior league with 17 teams. American hockey is far superior to Russian hockey in producing good players. You add foreigners to that, no debate.

USHL is the strongest junior league in the world. In PPG, Gridin is 17th. Which players playing in the MHL are better than him ? Demidov, Ryabkin ? And after ? The others are already in KHL/VHL.
Gridin isn't even the best player on his team. Boisvert is considered better by everyone who podcasts drafts and watches them play regularly.

Anyway, the top scorer MHL is the formidable Nikita Surayev, undrafted.

Then you add the USDP guys, prospects like Connelly, Hage, Lutz.

In the past, brilliant Russian players have favored North America. Andrei Svechnikov for example, so it's not impossible.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Look at the rosters and count the number of players drafted.

On one side you have a Russian junior league of around thirty teams and on the other an American junior league with 17 teams. American hockey is far superior to Russian hockey in producing good players. You add foreigners to that, no debate.

USHL is the strongest junior league in the world. In PPG, Gridin is 17th. Which players playing in the MHL are better than him ? Demidov, Ryabkin ? And after ? The others are already in KHL/VHL.
Gridin isn't even the best player on his team. Boisvert is considered better by everyone who podcasts drafts and watches them play regularly.

Anyway, the top scorer MHL is the formidable Nikita Surayev, undrafted.

Then you add the USDP guys, prospects like Connelly, Hage, Lutz.

In the past, brilliant Russian players have favored North America. Andrei Svechnikov for example, so it's not impossible.

Number of drafted players means nothing with the 'Russian factor' stupidly scaring teams away from Russians.
And who is better than Gridin in the MHL? Just a whole host of 2004 and 2005s NT candidates. I mean Gridin isnt even the best '06.

Gridin would have NO chance making an extended roster of candidates for the WJC had Russia played this year. A bunch of MHL guys would have. They're just currently more mature and better.

Every situation is different, and there have been a few success stories. But traditionally speaking, the CHL/USHL is a graveyard for Russian forwards. There's no reason to take such an unnecessary risk unless you're at a complete dead end in the Russian system. Ryabkin isn't.

Last edited:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Number of drafted players means nothing with the 'Russian factor' stupidly scaring teams away from Russians.
And who is better than Gridin in the MHL? Just a whole host of 2004 and 2005s NT candidates. I mean Gridin isnt even the best '06.

Gridin would have NO chance making an extended roster of candidates for the WJC had Russia played this year. A bunch of MHL guys would have. They're just currently more mature and better.

Every situation is different, and there have been a few success stories. But traditionally speaking, the CHL/USHL is a graveyard for Russian forwards. There's no reason to take such an unnecessary risk unless you're at a complete dead end in the Russian system. Ryabkin isn't.
The gap in level between the USA and Russia is very large. 58 Russians play in the NHL. 271 Americans. You will tell me that a handful of Russians playing in the KHL have the level. Yes. Some.

You say that many MHL players are better than Gridin but you are unable to name names. Demidov, Ryabkin and after ? Yegor Surin must be about the same level.

In USHL, so you find the American elite + 20% of very high level foreigners (Power, Fantilli, Celebrini was here recently) concentrated in 16 teams + Team USA U18. Svechnikov did it too. Obviously the level is higher than in the MHL, 31 teams, a lower national level and no foreigners.

USHL is clearly above MHL. And above all USHL is a passage to reach NCAA and there you will have difficulty making me believe that this system is not attractive.

Ryabkin can make this choice. Around twenty Russians currently play in the USHL/NCAA.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The gap in level between the USA and Russia is very large. 58 Russians play in the NHL. 271 Americans.
You will tell me that a handful of Russians playing in the KHL have the level. Yes. Some.

On the other hand, we must not omit Russian prospects who pass through North America. Like Yegorov and Gridin this year.

You say that many MHL players are better than Gridin but you are unable to name names. Demidov, Ryabkin and after ? Yegor Surin must be about the same level.

So you find the American elite + 20% of very high level foreigners (Power, Fantilli, Celebrini was here recently) concentrated in 16 teams + Team USA U18. Obviously the level is higher than in the MHL, 31 teams, a lower national level and no foreigners.

You can invent a life where a Russian player cannot be tempted to play in the USHL. Yet elite talents have done it very recently. Andrei Svechnikov did it. This is not an opinion, it's a fact.

I have defended Russian hockey a lot but we must avoid saying anything.

USHL is clearly above MHL.

I'm not gonna do the obvious for you. This is elementary stuff. Go look up the U20 team that played not long ago for the better MHLers.

AND if you believe Surin and Gridin are on the same level..... Well Surin didn't make that team. So what makes you think Gridin would?

Just because Gridin is lighting up the USHL doesn't means he'd be the best MHLer behind Demidov/Ryabkin,, especially as only a 2006. To think as such is insular North American arrogance.
And on what planet is Ryabkin even the best MHLer? lol

That you constantly cite Svechnikov (1 player) as an example of the USHL/Russian path to greatness kinda proves my point.

Last edited:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I'm not gonna do the obvious for you. This is elementary stuff. Go look up the U20 team that played not long ago for the better MHLers.

AND if you believe Surin and Gridin are on the same level..... Well Surin didn't make that team. So what makes you think Gridin would?

Just because Gridin is lighting up the USHL doesn't means he'd be the best MHLer behind Demidov/Ryabkin,, especially as only a 2006. To think as such is insular North American arrogance.
And on what planet is Ryabkin even the best MHLer? lol

That you constantly cite Svechnikov (1 player) as an example of the USHL/Russian path to greatness kinda proves my point.

Svechnikov, Mintyukov, Suniev, Gridin, Yegorov, Kuznetsov (Yan), Chaly, Provorov, Levshunov...

I could have given you plenty of cases but you will always find an argumentative bias by saying that one played in BCHL, the other in OHL, the other is Belarusian, etc...

My basic idea is that Ryabkin did not sign a KHL contract and can leave Russia. Russian players have already left. Gridin did it at 16. The Russian federation has always been concerned about the departure of Russian players to North America.Neither you nor I know Ryabkin's thoughts. But seeing him leave Russia to play 1 year in the USHL then play in the NCAA is a possible scenario.

And whatever happens I will stick to my idea that USHL is superior to MHL. Besides, if I posted a poll on the site, people would say that there is no debate possible.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Svechnikov, Mintyukov, Suniev, Gridin, Yegorov, Kuznetsov (Yan), Chaly, Provorov, Levshunov...

I could have given you plenty of cases but you will always find an argumentative bias by saying that one played in BCHL, the other in OHL, the other is Belarusian, etc...My basic idea is that Ryabkin did not sign a KHL contract and can leave Russia. Russian players have already left. Gridin did it at 16. The Russian federation has always been concerned about the departure of Russian players to North America.Neither you nor I know Ryabkin's thoughts. But seeing him leave Russia to play 1 year in the USHL then play in the NCAA is a possible scenario.

And whatever happens I will stick to my idea that USHL is superior to MHL. Besides, if I posted a poll on the site, people would say that there is no debate possible.

Those names are collectively awful if those are your best examples.......especially forward.

And if I remember right, Ryabkin signed a 2-year deal with Dynamo; with the option of leaving the 2nd year if he pleases. Kinda like what Miroshnichenko did with Omsk.

But he'd be smart to stay with Dynamo. Not that he couldn't thrive in the USHL, but why take the risk? There's so much that could go wrong....the transition isn't easy no matter what North Americans think. It's no surprise the history/trend of Russians in the USHL stinks.

The MHL is fundamentally on the same tier as the USHL, AND he'd be exposed to higher levels of hockey albeit the VHL or KHL. Win-win situation.
Leave for the NHL when your fully developed and mature enough to handle the transition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hanji

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Those names are collectively awful if those are your best examples.......especially forward.

And if I remember right, Ryabkin signed a 2-year deal with Dynamo; with the option of leaving the 2nd year if he pleases. Kinda like what Miroshnichenko did with Omsk.

But he'd be smart to stay with Dynamo. Not that he couldn't thrive in the USHL, but why take the risk? There's so much that could go wrong transition wise. It's no surprise the history/trend of Russians in the USHL stinks.

The MHL is basically on the same tier as the USHL AND he'd be exposed to higher levels of hockey albeit the VHL or KHL. Win-win situation.
Nobody knows MHL players. Demidov plays in, but it's an accident. Ryabkin is only 16 years old. Look at the list of USHL players. Lots of players drafted by franchises (18-19-20 years), good foreigners who come to North America to try their luck in 16 teams + Team USA. Russia only produces 4-5 high caliber guys per year and these guys are already playing in KHL/VHL during their first year of eligibility and 31 teams in MHL (therefore leveling down with 50% of players expected to play in a 2nd junior russian league).

I'm tired of guys selling out their country's store. It's so obvious what I'm saying...

I'm not going to ruin the topic with such a sterile debate because it's so obvious.

Hold on to your idea that MHL is on the same level as USHL.

From a French point of view and passionate about junior hockey, MHL is at the level of U20 Finland.

Last edited:

Musampa

Aug 3, 2015
Who is a better prospect Ryabkin or Demidov? I know he might not be on Michkov level but who would you take first if Ryabkin was 2024 NHL draft eligible
Personally I think that Ryabkin is the best of the three for the NHL style. As for Michkov I still doubt that he will become a star in the NHL.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Nobody knows MHL players. Demidov plays in, but it's an accident. Ryabkin is only 16 years old. Look at the list of USHL players. Lots of players drafted by franchises (18-19-20 years), good foreigners who come to North America to try their luck in 16 teams + Team USA. Russia only produces 4-5 high caliber guys per year and these guys are already playing in KHL/VHL during their first year of eligibility and 31 teams in MHL (therefore leveling down with 50% of players expected to play in a 2nd junior russian league).

I'm tired of guys selling out their country's store. It's so obvious what I'm saying...

I'm not going to ruin the topic with such a sterile debate because it's so obvious.

Hold on to your idea that MHL is on the same level as USHL.

From a French point of view and passionate about junior hockey, MHL is at the level of U20 Finland.

No, YOU dont know MHL players. That’s why you’re out of your league on this topic.

On the whole, MHLers arent performing any worse in the USHL.
If the USHL was significantly better you’d see a significant dip in production/usage across the board.
That isnt happening.

Have an opinion, fine. But now stop hijacking this thread..…especially considering you admit you have a very rudimentary knowledge about the MHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeyS and Flynn84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad