C Oliver Kapanen - Kalpa, Liiga (2021, 64th, MTL)

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I'm pretty sure that he or his agent said that he is gonna get signed this season, but he will play in Timrå if he doesn't make to Canadiens roster from the training camp. Right now I wouldn't be surprised if he'd make the team, but odds are against it, and it would propably be the right move play one more season in Europe since AHL isn't possibility.

Wait, why isn't AHL possible for him?

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
This dude was SO GOOD in Liiga playoffs that if i was Habs GM i would sing him, then tell him to go to Timrå and bulk up. Which i guess is exactly what they are doing.

To me he was the best player in Liiga playoffs this year. The latter half of his season is something that isnt comparable to most 2nd round picks, but to those high 1st round picks from Finland.

Reactions: goforit

Leto

Feb 16, 2023

Translation : Kapanen would like to sign with MTL. Kent Hughes and Kapanen's agent met at the U18 and they both agreed to talk again after the WC. Hughes is positive about Kapanen's progress this year.​

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
He's a future top9 NHLer for me. One year, max two years in Timrå with Jokinen is enough. Then NHL after bulking up and playing in the SHL which should be just as of a big step towards NHL as AHL. At least for me after witnessing his strengths. His skating is good and a lot of those things that can make him excel in the NA. He's able to create his own space and finish.
Therefor I believe the SHL will be great for his development and even if he struggles there which is just as likely as he would succeed, i still believe it will be good for him in the long run and that he's capable of playing in the NHL in the future. Could be better than AHL imho. If he can develop anything like Lehkonen back in the days I will be thankful and excited.

Also, the Norway game wasn't a fluke. He's been consistent and been more than enough when others haven't. That together with his Liiga-playoffs is a very promising trend.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad