Can a high profile prospect refuse to play for the team that drafted them?

vpasla1

Mar 24, 2018
A team would hold a player's rights until they are eligible for UFA.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
A drafted player can refuse to report but the team
That drafted him will hold his rights until he’s about 26-27 years old.

Team can trade him but it’s on the teams terms.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Or forever if he goes to the KHL as OP asked about. Teams retain the re-entry rights for the prospects in the KHL forever. The Jackets still have the rights to longtime KHL MVP Sergei Mozyakin, who they drafted two decades ago...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Depends on where they are from. If a CHL player refuses to report to the team that drafted him, he would just re-enter the draft in 2 years. An NCAA kid become a UFA 4 years post draft.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Let’s say an 18 year old kid “generational talent” decides he doesn’t want to play for the team that drafted him. Could he sign in Russia for 3 years for potentially more money and sign with whoever he wants at 21?

Random question

I'm under the impression that the original drafting team would own the player's rights for two years and then the player would re-enter the draft pool (I believe due to the lack of a transfer agreement, Russian player rights are held indefinitely and NCAA guys for the duration of their time in college).

It's not unusual to see a player or two re-drafted every year. Frederik Andersen was drafted in 2010, didn't agree to terms with Carolina, and was drafted again by Anaheim in 2012. Andersen's an interesting edge case since he (1989 birthday) wouldn't have been draft eligible for 2012 if he hadn't been selected before. I'd have to dig up the CBA clause again, but I'd think a player's rights would still belong to the second drafting team for another two years.

Back in the day, Mike Rupp was a top 10 pick but the Islanders decided they'd rather have the 2nd round compensatory pick than sign him. Rupp re-entered the draft and was taken in the 3rd round by New Jersey. Nick Boynton was a first rounder twice in 1997 and 1999.

Realistically, a generational player might be leaving money on the table if they waited to sign an ELC at 21/22 and becoming UFA at age 27 instead of possibly going UFA at age 25.

Unlikely UFA route:
18 (D+1): foreign league
19 (D+2): foreign league
20 (redraft+1): foreign league
21 (redraft+2): foreign league
22: ELC1
23: ELC2
24: RFA

Usual route:
18: ELC1
19: ELC2
20: ELC3
21: RFA

Realistically, the more likely case would be a player going the Lindros route and forcing a trade rather than delaying their NHL career. Tim Erixon was a first rounder in 2009 but didn't want to sign with Calgary and tried to force a trade to the Rangers (his dad played there). Erixon's leverage was that he could re-enter the 2011 Draft where most thought he'd go in the #10-15 range. So rather than get a late 2nd rounder as compensation, Calgary begrudgingly traded him to the Rangers for a pair of 2nd rounders. But that's still an unlikely path for a blue chip prospect who could play in the league at 18.

Last edited:

ConnorMcBackcheck

Dec 31, 2021
USA
He won’t do it because the money is too good but if I were Power I’d stay in Ann Arbor for two more years and then sign with whatever team I wanted after instead of wasting six or seven years rebuilding in Buffalo.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
He won’t do it because the money is too good but if I were Power I’d stay in Ann Arbor for two more years and then sign with whatever team I wanted after instead of wasting six or seven years rebuilding in Buffalo.

That is not going to happen.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
8.6(b)(c)(d) seems to address this exact scenario? An 18 year old CHL player that leaves for a foreign league, for example, has his rights held for 4 years. The player would have to stay in the CHL to be eligible for re-entry.

Reactions: banks and Brodeur

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
It's unconfirmed, but there was speculation about Owen Power not wanting to be with Buffalo (after now-LA's Cal Petersen and previous draft pick turned high-profile FA Jimmy Vesey left). Justin Schultz also refused to sign with his drafted team and signed with Edmonton I think?

In short it's not as crazy as you think, Mr. Bedar-- I mean, OP :sarcasm:.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Isn't it possible for a player to stay out of the draft and wait until next year? I remember talks about this concerning the Sedins, since it was unlikely for them to both end up on the same team.

I mean if you are a generational talent, you pretty much know which team will draft you right after the lottery.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Depends on where they are from. If a CHL player refuses to report to the team that drafted him, he would just re-enter the draft in 2 years. An NCAA kid become a UFA 4 years post draft.
I read the OP wrong and saw the 3 years and thought it was in the case of having a signed ELC in place.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

A player, once drafted, can decline to sign a contract and will be eligible for the draft again after a certain period of time, a length of time which differs for CHL, NCAA, and international players.

The key is that the player gains draft eligibility anew, though. It's not unrestricted free agency. The same team can draft you in the first round, and then draft you again in the fourth round two to four years later. The player doesn't gain freedom to choose his team, and usually sees his draft stock (and entry-level contract earnings) decline through this maneuver.

You lose the North American pro development time and earnings from those years. It's costly and you don't gain the ability to choose your destination at the end of it.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto

I thought it was 21 if the player dosent sign

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Another question, After signing an entry level contract can a prospect chose his team at age 21?

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Another question, After signing an entry level contract can a prospect chose his team at age 21?
No. After signing an ELC, you become a RFA at the end of it. You can sign a free agency offer sheet, but as a RFA, your team has the right to match it or receive draft compensation if they decline to match it.

To reach UFA eligibility, a player who has signed his ELC must play in the NHL for seven seasons or until age 27, whichever comes first. For players that play 10+ games in their age 18 season, this can be as early as age 25.

As noted, a drafted college player can play four years in the NCAA from age 18 after the draft, never signing a contract, and then become a UFA as early as 21. This loophole still exists but it would not be surprising if the league looked at closing it at some point. A CBA negotiation issue, of course.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Bobbybruins

Feb 19, 2018
Also Blake Wheeler didn’t sigh his ELC with AZ and then signed with Boston as a free agent

It's unconfirmed, but there was speculation about Owen Power not wanting to be with Buffalo (after now-LA's Cal Petersen and previous draft pick turned high-profile FA Jimmy Vesey left). Justin Schultz also refused to sign with his drafted team and signed with Edmonton I think?

In short it's not as crazy as you think, Mr. Bedar-- I mean, OP :sarcasm:.

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad