Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Preds - 4-3 (OT) (Boeser x3, Lindholm) | I JUST HAD A BABY

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
i fell asleep once the game was 3-1 then my friend texted me and said "OMG" i said what happened lol and saw the highlights brock the beast boeser scored 3 goals. 2 in the dying seconds. and then lindholm the winner 62 seconds in. silovs was calm and collected nothing fazed him. finish them off tuesday so the guys can rest. especially hughes and petey whatever is ailing him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Pettersson must be insanely talented to put up 89 points "while looking terrible all year"

Is there another example in league history of someone who "looks terrible" for a full year, plays with 2 30 point wingers, and yet scored over a pt per game?

He is that insanely talented.

That's what makes him so enigmatic.

He can be absolutely dominant. He was for stretches of this season. Most of the first 1/4. He had another stretch after that. Since the All-Star Break, he's just been a zombie.

But that's why it's so frustrating. He's an $11M who often just doesn't play anything like an $11M player...for extended stretches sometimes. He can do it. He often just...doesn't. :dunno:

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
- I LOVE YOU ALL/EVERYONE.
- Silovs very calm. Don't think you go back to DeSmith. START TOLOPILO COWARDS. Win 4 games with 4 different goalies.
- Worst game I've seen us play this season except for a total of 4 minutes.
- Boeser and Miller have largely carried the team offensively.
You forgot Lindholm? He assisted on that 3-2 goal and got the winner. Plus has dominated the faceoff circle and instrumental in killing penalties. I would re-sign him if he asks for 7 mil. He seems to be a key guy in this team

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Missed the final few minutes. I turned off the game. They scores 10 seconds later.
Opposite for me. The game was so hard to watch I said, forget about this one and go do the tasks you've been avoiding. Finished up with about 6 mins left in the game. Turned it back on and watched Boeser get his second with Silovs pulled. Said to myself, "Boeser is going to get a hat trick", and then watched in disbelief as he did just that. With that post leading the charge.

Thought, look what they can do when they press for offence, and if they go into overtime with that attitude, they can win. That beautiful deek from Garland, followed with a perfect pass to Lindholm who just blasted into the win column.

10 plus years of weight seem to get lifted off our collective shoulders by the most improbable of wins I can ever recall witnessing.

Please, for the love of Pete, let these guys play to win rsther than not to lose!

Kudos to everyone!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Never say that...ever. Playoffs are playoffs and sometimes you get lucky and win and sometimes you dont. Canucks have certainly been on the other side before so i could care less about beimg deserved to win or not. This is why we play the games.

On “deserving”, I think the Canucks deserved Games 1 and 2 while the Preds deserved 3 and 4. That we managed to take some games we didn’t deserve is a huge bonus - and I hope the Canucks capitalize on this and come out like their asses are on fire on Tuesday.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I don't really know what you're expecting?

No...he's not the guy to get Petey going. I said as much. Get him and Hoglander off that line. They're both just dragging him down and getting dragged down with him.

But what the heck do you even mean, "same excuses his whole career"? His whole career he's been...exactly this. Maybe a little faster before he blew up his knee and at the moment he's having one of those "hands misfunction" phases that literally every middle six player in the world goes through. But that's what he is. He's a defensively responsible, PK asset, Middle-6 complementary forward who skates fast, and doesn't have Top-6 scoring hands.

It's not an "excuse". It's literally just...exactly what he is and was expected to be as a player.

What's "yikes" is just dismissing all of the effort put into playing a solid, reliable game every night. Taking care of his own end, killing penalties well, getting pucks out, retrieving pucks, creating rush chances, etc. Just dumping on him because he doesn't score like an elite sniper.

He's 2pts behind Elias Pettersson, the superstar core of our team, who also gets to play top Powerplay minutes endlessly. :dunno:
Yikes is thinking he's a "rock solid middle sixer".

He's an overpaid bottom sixer, Toronto tried him in the top six multiple times, I watched it, it was bad. Same as here. Only in TO he was paid accordingly. And he was atleast really fast there, creating multiple breakaways from the, bottom six, that naturally he scored on very very few.

His hard work and effort doesn't stand out and isn't special, is responsible yes but isnt an elite pker, very frequently any possession is a turnover shortly, can't keep any plays going, hits the crest if he hits the net at all with a muffin shot, can sometimes pass, isnt physical, weak clears, He's damn near waiver quality. PDG the old vet possible scratch for rookie pod has outplayed him.

Nearly everyone can see it and knows it'll cost alot to ditch this player, we couldn't at tdl, he's negative value. Doesn't even score like an ahl call-up, with worse offensive skills.

Honestly consider rethinking what you are watching.

Reactions: Misko

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Marty Biron made this point on TSN, but man he's right, it would be easy for the Canucks to get discouraged and fold. Icewater in the team's veins, not getting flustered.

I think 'clutch' and 'choker' are usually a consequence of narrative emerging in a chaotic sport, but composure is a real thing and they showed it. I credit Tocchet for that.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
You advocated selling high on Pettersson and Hughes? Not something I would have expected.

A few comments:

- For Hughes, I thought he handled 2nd pairing minutes at base just fine. More offensively inclined, yes, but not someone you had to truly hide at ES. Now there's no question about how good he is, but I don't think it's fair to use his defense now as the baseline defense for a mid-pairing dman. This is all-world, elite play.

- I wouldn't bet against Pettersson either. In fact, I still think he will have a better overall career than Hughes when all is said and done. He's looking suspect, but be patient here.

- May as well try Joshua-Blueger-Garland against the O'Reilly line. If they can saw off those minutes, then it frees up Lindholm to be somewhere else. Perhaps try Miheyev-Lindholm-Lafferty again?

- Before this game, Tocchet noticed that Pettersson was getting incrementally better, and I agreed with that assessment. He just hasn't gotten anywhere back to his top level. Keep him at C and with Hoglander. Jettison Mikheyev, and then add Podkolzin. If Hoglander-Pettersson-Podkolzin still loses their match up with the Sissons line because of Pod's naivety, so be it. It's no worse than what's happening right now with Mikheyev there.

- Brock Boeser is a high end shooter. Those players, even when streaky, are very difficult to acquire and retain. With him, you have to accept the lows in order to get the highs you see now. I would have been ok if he had moved on, but the return had to be there. Glad it didn't happen.

- 71 shots over 4 games. I don't know if it's the system or something else, but this is unacceptable. That is an NHL record! When you say they "need to win a game properly", yes. At this point, I'm looking for them to just play the game properly, regardless of the win or loss. Get over 20 shots next game... it's not a lot to ask.

- I agree with you on Zadorov, don't re-sign him. His overall play is too erratic to be considered any more than a #4 dman, and they already have Soucy.

This win was gifted to the Canucks. I hope in the next game they actually earn it.
I don’t think I ever pined to sell on Hughes but I felt very strongly that he wasn’t a 7.8 million dollar player when he signed that contract, and that if he didn’t improve, that contract would be a liability. Although one I think they could have gotten out of due to the points and marketability. But he did. MS used to make comparisons to Phil Housley. I never saw Housley play but the descriptions of him and his limitations was interesting to me.

Boeser I was just out on. I hated the way he played in 18-19 and he owned it and the he played two good seasons - specifically the bubble one. And then it was a rough go and they gave him a contract I hated because he was awful in the year he signed it. The new contract was awful in year one. But,
he’s figured it out and now they’re getting good value from it. I wanted us to trade him up until last summer where I had the realization that his value is so negative and that the locker room would implode if they did it and figured that they should ride this year out and sink or swim

I was never team trade Pettersson, but I did find the Eichel availability interesting at some points. Anyways, my point is that I just think he’ll figure it out.

Hughes I remember was fine with Tanev and during the world championships before that, but man it was rough once Tanev was gone. It’s funny because I remember watching Hughes in that world championships whatever year he played in his draft or d+1 year and thinking he was sneakily intelligent in his own end and that there was a shot he reached the point hes at now but it felt like that was dead for me after Tanev left.

I dont know about a better career but Hughes’ performance over the last 18 months has hit the 99th percentile of what you could have hoped he could turn into. Pettersson right now, especially relative to what we saw during his first two years and the second half of 22-23, is at like a 10th percentile.

I thought of Lindholm between Mikheyev and Lafferty/Podkolzin and how that worked but that doesn’t seem like a great way to have your best guys on the ice consistently.

The shots thing. I don’t really think Nashville killed us the last two games the way the SOG say they did. To me, it felt like there were similar amounts of chances each way. But it’s hard not to ignore that it’s still only 71 and I think that’ll give Nashville some confidence heading into the next few games. Or even if we do win, whoever we play in R2 will be excited too

I referenced how I felt Joshua had been weak the past three games but the OT winner, that’s the Joshua we love and saw in G1

Reactions: Vector

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I don't think anybody would disagree that the Hog-Pete-Mik line is total ass. It just does not work. Period. It never has it and never will.

Pettersson and Hoglander are oil and water. Mikheyev can pitch in as the "3rd wheel" who isn't expected to do anything offensively. But putting them all together is stupid and bad.

But that really doesn't indicate in any way shape or form that Podkolzin who is only a handful of decent (literally zero goals scored) non-event games away from having completely played himself out of the league...is a better "replacement".

Mikheyev is rock solid all around. That is better than "wish and a prayer" Podkolzin.

Hoglander scored 20 this year. That is better than "wish and a prayer" Podkolzin.

I just really don't understand the fixation on getting either out of the lineup. The obvious solution is just...get them the heck away from pouty Pettersson.

Petey has to be playing through something. The way he's moving (or lack thereof) just screams some sort of injury.

Reactions: racerjoe

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
giphy.gif

Still rocking out to that OT win

but then my x wife and her friend reminded me that was also their best 3:57 of their lives as well

giphy.gif

I was truly humbled today :biglaugh:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
So can someone make a thread. I think this has to go down as one of the biggest wins in Canuck history, on the way it happened. I would love to see a poll, Burrows game 7 goal, Burrows overtime win against Bost, and 2 or 3 other,, as to which was the best (or most enjoyable) win by the Canucks ever. This has to rank up there.

• Love
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I am sorry to bring negativity here. But Petey has done nothing to show that he should elevated to the top line with Boeser and that Miller guy.
TBF, his wingers have been absolutely invisible.
I wish. Would have loved Necas.
You have some truly terrible takes on EP. I bet you were one of the trade Brock and JT guys as well right?

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Marty Biron made this point on TSN, but man he's right, it would be easy for the Canucks to get discouraged and fold. Icewater in the team's veins, not getting flustered.

I think 'clutch' and 'choker' are usually a consequence of narrative emerging in a chaotic sport, but composure is a real thing and they showed it. I credit Tocchet for that.

I think this notion is a bit revisionist. We looked absolutely dead for the entire 3rd period until the last few minutes where the top end talent decided to turn it up and Nashville decided to forget how to play defense after doing a pretty solid job of it over the last 6 periods.

Imagine what the rhetoric would have been if we didn't have a good 3ish minutes between end of reg and beginning of OT.

Reactions: Indiana

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Petey has to be playing through something. The way he's moving (or lack thereof) just screams some sort of injury.

It really doesn't though. This is just how he is when he's not "dialed in". It's been his entire career at this point. It's not always injury he's playing through. It's a mental focus thing that comes and goes.

Reactions: David71

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yikes is thinking he's a "rock solid middle sixer".

He's an overpaid bottom sixer, Toronto tried him in the top six multiple times, I watched it, it was bad. Same as here. Only in TO he was paid accordingly. And he was atleast really fast there, creating multiple breakaways from the, bottom six, that naturally he scored on very very few.

His hard work and effort doesn't stand out and isn't special, is responsible yes but isnt an elite pker, very frequently any possession is a turnover shortly, can't keep any plays going, hits the crest if he hits the net at all with a muffin shot, can sometimes pass, isnt physical, weak clears, He's damn near waiver quality. PDG the old vet possible scratch for rookie pod has outplayed him.

Nearly everyone can see it and knows it'll cost alot to ditch this player, we couldn't at tdl, he's negative value. Doesn't even score like an ahl call-up, with worse offensive skills.

Honestly consider rethinking what you are watching.

There is more to hockey than scoring. Period.

If you don't care about that stuff, you're not evaluating the entire game.

I'm not saying Mikheyev is "good value" at this point on his current contract. Especially diminished as he seems to be from the player we signed originally.

But i reiterate for those in the back...THERE IS NO SALARY CAP IN THE PLAYOFFS. I do not give a single hoot what his cap hit is. I just want the 12 best Forwards we have on the ice. And he is still by far, one of those top-12 available forwards. His overall contribution and ability to generate unfinished scoring chances is miles ahead of Podkolzin or even Hoglander who really needs a lot of help to create chances. There is zero reason to pull Mikheyev from the lineup right now, outside of people having some weird grudge against him because he's "overpaid" on the cap and they don't like that he creates a bunch of chances that are highly visible and not finished properly.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
It's almost 2:30am and I can't sleep because I'm still buzzing from the adrenaline rush from how the game ended.

I know I've been a broken record here, but man oh man I've missed playoff drama.

I forgot how much fun this is when things start going in your favour.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I cannot stress how important it is for the Canucks to end this series in Game 5 so their players can rest.

Hughes has been pretty bad this series (despite his move on Nyquist). He's tired. He's bruised. Let the man rest.
Hughes has been fine. Not the MVP monster he was the first 40-50 games of the regular seasons but terrific still.

The preds are basically double teaming him on the forecheck and Hronek has failed to relieve the pressure or help with moving the puck.

Being a Boeser truther that was incredible...

Lets finish them and get to round 2!

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
My jaw dropped at seeing what happened in the last few minutes. Absolutely insane.

Can't wait to see who's in net next game though! Tolopilo??

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
You got me. Guilty. :sarcasm:
REPORT THIS (Latvian) MAN

Silovs couldn't have done better really. Really solid, maybe could've squeezed the first goal but he made tons of good saves especially when we left him out to dry in the third. Big reason we were only back 2.

As for the game it was pretty concerning how bad we played. I wasn't too bothered by it yesterday since I had watched the Leafs game the night before and... we were actually hard on pucks and took 2nd chances away etc. But our transition game has gotten worse game by game. Maybe with home ice so we can match up it will go better. Obviously crazy result, played a great 5 minute game and took it.

Reactions: arttk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad