Proposal: (CAR/NYR) Kotkaniemi for Trouba + Chytil

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
IMPORTANT NOTES
(1) This is a scenario where Pesce and Skjei both leave CAR as UFAs
(2) NYR are very likely trading Trouba this summer or possibly next summer
(3) There are a limited number of teams Trouba would waive for that also maybe want him
(4) NYR need cap for Lindgren Schneider Kakko now, Miller Shesterkin Lafreniere next summer
(5) CAR likely isn't interested in 6 more years of Kotkaniemi, but would still need a 2C/3C

to New York Rangers
Jesperi Kotkaniemi (6y @ $4.8200m)
( $7.6175m in cap space )

to Carolina Hurricanes
Filip Chytil (3y @ $4.4375m)
Jacob Trouba (2y @ $8.0000m)

So the Rangers move out two pieces of value and receive an absolute boat anchor on a long term deal in return.

Why would the Rangers possibly do this?

Trouba doesn't match our style, we aren't in the business of taking cap dumps.

To be fair, the biggest cap dump in this scenario is moving from Carolina to New York.

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
KK does have those hot spells every once in awhile. He was among our best players in the bubble.

No, he most definitely was not among the Canadiens best players in the bubble.

That is complete fiction.

He was tenth in team scoring and only had five goals in 56 games. In the playoffs, he became a healthy scratch. This is a totally and completely false clam.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
No from the Canes. The point of trading KK is to erase his cap hit without retention or taking money back.

If we can't get a guy we actually want and need for KK, making less than KK makes...the next best offer is "future consideration." (That is...nothing. Zip. Bubkis. Free-and-clear cap space.)

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
No from the Canes. The point of trading KK is to erase his cap hit without retention or taking money back.

If we can't get a guy we actually want and need for KK, making less than KK makes...the next best offer is "future consideration." (That is...nothing. Zip. Bubkis. Free-and-clear cap space.)

Surely you don't think there's any team out there interested in taking on Kotkaniemi's contract without dumping garbage on Carolina, do you?

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Surely you don't think there's any team out there interested in taking on Kotkaniemi's contract without dumping garbage on Carolina, do you?
The buyout hit this offseason (or next offseason, or 2026) is $835K a year.

How much is an $835K cap hit a year worth to Carolina in terms of taking back a bad contract or giving up a pick? Probably not much.

There may be a team out there that will give him a try for free before executing that same buyout given how low it is. But given how low it is, I doubt Carolina's going to be interested in most cap dumps and certainly shouldn't be attaching picks to move him.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
To be fair, the biggest cap dump in this scenario is moving from Carolina to New York.

KK could make a 3C on a rebuilding team, he's defensively responsible enough, and can be physical.

He could be used in a deal with Utah, Chicago, or Sharks in a hockey trade type of deal.

Trouba doesn't fit Carolina at all, we aren't in the business of taking on that kind of contract unless you're adding.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I think it's a non-starter to discuss if there isn't.

It's either no return, positive return, or we simply buy him out. The sole reason to trade him rather than buy him out is the additional $800k in cap savings it gets us.

Retention is even more of a non-starter because if the Canes retain and then the acquiring team buys him out, we have a retention slot tied up for nearly a decade.

There is no trade for KK that isn't flat value or net positive value because it makes no sense to do so for Carolina.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

He was tenth in team scoring and only had five goals in 56 games. In the playoffs, he became a healthy scratch. This is a totally and completely false clam.

The bubble typically refers to the 19-20 playoffs that were played in the bubble, not the next year with the shuffled divisions where teams started bringing fans back in.

Was kotkaniemi among out best players, though? Not really IMO, but 4 goals in 10 games for a 20 year old centre was promising at least.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I think HF will be surprised about the value Trouba returns if traded. He's a big "things & stuffs" player, with intangibles for days. I think even with no retention, a 3rd is feasible, maybe even a 2nd.

Kotkaniemi is not returning positive value

Reactions: Flan the incredible

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I think HF will be surprised about the value Trouba returns if traded. He's a big "things & stuffs" player, with intangibles for days. I think even with no retention, a 3rd is feasible, maybe even a 2nd.
I think that's true.
Kotkaniemi is not returning positive value
I think people will be shocked when that turns out to be false. There is always someone who will look at the potential and think they have the answer to the lack of performance. Maybe they do...but it's time for him to leave Carolina.

I expect he gets moved for FC and in a few years that deal you can't imagine now is being criticized as the Canes giving up too soon on him and giving him away.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
IMPORTANT NOTES
(3) There are a limited number of teams Trouba would waive for that also maybe want him
(4) NYR need cap for Lindgren Schneider Kakko now, Miller Shesterkin Lafreniere next summer
(5) CAR likely isn't interested in 6 more years of Kotkaniemi, but would still need a 2C/3C

to New York Rangers

to Carolina Hurricanes
Kotkaniemi has no value might even have negative value… Even if there option are limited not sure why NYR settle for so little return…

Reactions: UnSandvich

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
When it comes to KK here are the 3 options for the Canes.

1. Keep going with him
2. Buy him out for very minimal cap hit
3. Find some sort of win-win trade scenario with another team

No. 3 is unlikely so it's probably gonna be No. 1 or 2.

Canes don't want or need Trouba. He's not the type of defenseman we want at all.

Of course they need Trouba. These fools have no leadership.

But he's making 8 and that's way too much.

Reactions: viceroy

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

The first year in the bubble he played well all year and he was a beast in the playoffs. The second year he was OKish and he played well in the playoffs(though not as good as the year before). He was competiting and that's all you can ask that someone gave his all. Making him a healthy was illogic and unfair. It was a stupid move by Ducharme. And the Habs got eliminated in that game and that lead to him wanting to leave.

Last edited:

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Trouba is extremely negative value.

I’d rather just buy out Kotka if I’m the canes and really want to be rid of him (I don’t)

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The first year in the bubble he played well all year and he was a beast in the playoffs. The second year he was OKish and he played well in the playoffs(though as good as the year before). He was competiting and that's all you can ask that someone gave his all. Making him a healthy was illogic and unfair. It was a stupid move by Ducharme. And the Habs got eliminated in that game and that lead to him wanting to leave.

I watched every single game of Jesperi Kotkaniemi's Montreal Canadiens career.

At no time, be it in a bubble or otherwise, be it in the playoffs or otherwise, was he ever even approaching being among the best players on the Habs roster.

It simply never, ever happened. It's absolute nonsense.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
IMPORTANT NOTES

to New York Rangers

to Carolina Hurricanes
Kotkanirmi has little value.

Hes overosif now
the U26 1/3 buy out can occur in june. June 2025. Or in june 2026.

Any team acquiring jim is esting that buy out risk with him still having 4 yrs after 2026 buy out. Yhr new team is absorbing that

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I watched every single game of Jesperi Kotkaniemi's Montreal Canadiens career.

At no time, be it in a bubble or otherwise, be it in the playoffs or otherwise, was he ever even approaching being among the best players on the Habs roster.

It simply never, ever happened. It's absolute nonsense.

I did too watch all his matches and you need a pair of glasses or you just don't want to see things. We were all raiving in the forums about how he was all over the ice creating chances and being super physical in the first playoffs. It was amazing to see. Where the f*** were you, on the moon?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I did too watch all his matches and you need a pair of glasses or you just don't want to see things. We were all raiving in the forums about how he was all over the ice creating chances and being super physical in the first playoffs. It was amazing to see. Where the f*** were you, on the moon?

Where was I? I was in my living room, watching him score four goals in ten games and then on those same forums watching people hysterically over-rate his performance, much like the guy in this thread who claimed he was one of the Canadiens "best players."

You can say he was "all over the ice creating chances" but the reality is his first NHL playoff goal that spring came after a point shot was deflected, then it hit Kotka in the crease and went in the net. He got cross checked into the net while the puck bounced off him. A bag of potatoes would have had the exact same results.

He potted a goal on a rebound in Game 2 and he had already contributed fifty percent of his entire playoff output for the team. He didn't have any more points until Game 2 of the next series, where he scored twice. First, he knocked in another rebound and then later that game, he scored his fourth - and easily best - goal cutting in front and using a Flyer as a screen for a quick wrist shot.

Was it in encouraging to see a young guy get four goals in his first playoff? Absolutely.

Was it also true that three of the four goals literally any NHL player could have scored? Also true.

Was the hyperbolic reaction back then - and now in this thread where you suggest I need glasses and might live on the moon - ridiculously overblown? Absolutely.

The fact that he followed up his four goal playoff with a five goal season seems to strongly suggest that several Canadiens fans that were "raving in the forums" maybe weren't exactly astute hockey observers?

Maybe they just saw what they wanted to see. But I can tell you this, he was dominating. He wasn't the best Canadien on the ice. And he wasn't "all over the ice creating chances."

You also praise his "physicality" yet you leave out that the result of that was him being by far the most penalized player on the team. Another piece of Fool's Gold.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Didn’t realize that, but he went to NYR to be closer to his fiancé/wife, and make traveling to see each other easier, while she was doing her med internship, so he will likely continue to take her career into consideration when making decisions on where to play
Can’t do any better than playing for Carolina if his wife is in medicine. It’s called The (Research) Triangle for a reason with Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill all in close proximity to each other and each with a Tier I research university in town. Plus they’d pay about half of that they’re paying in taxes in NC than they would in New York.

Carolina is not Winnipeg. No offense, Jets fans. She could have a terrific career in medicine if he played for the Canes.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
KK could make a 3C on a rebuilding team, he's defensively responsible enough, and can be physical.

He could be used in a deal with Utah, Chicago, or Sharks in a hockey trade type of deal.

Trouba doesn't fit Carolina at all, we aren't in the business of taking on that kind of contract unless you're adding.
KK is a capdump. Canes are better off buying him out or paying someone to take him. I doubt they hold onto him and risk losing Guentzel.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The buyout hit this offseason (or next offseason, or 2026) is $835K a year.

How much is an $835K cap hit a year worth to Carolina in terms of taking back a bad contract or giving up a pick? Probably not much.

There may be a team out there that will give him a try for free before executing that same buyout given how low it is. But given how low it is, I doubt Carolina's going to be interested in most cap dumps and certainly shouldn't be attaching picks to move him.
Could be double that if finals goes to 6 games

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Could be double that if finals goes to 6 games
You mean the 2026 finals? I suppose that's possible especially in an Olympic year, but it's a little early to project that.

But Kotkaniemi doesn't turn 25 until July 6 2026, so there's still two full offseasons where timing isn't an issue at all to buy him out for 1/3 of the contract.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
You mean the 2026 finals? I suppose that's possible especially in an Olympic year, but it's a little early to project that.

But Kotkaniemi doesn't turn 25 until July 6 2026, so there's still two full offseasons where timing isn't an issue at all to buy him out for 1/3 of the contract.
Sorry, I meant that for Dubois thread. Posted in wrong thread

Reactions: Chrispy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad