Injury Report: Chabot broken hand, 4-6 weeks

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Im not even saying im right, im just putting it out there. Thats a long damn time to hope to be competitive again. Thats almost a decade lol. Now, that 6-7 number may not actually be accurate for our team anyways and is sort of based on the doom and gloom discussion, but if that happened, its approaching a decade and thats pretty f***ing nuts imo. That said, youve clearly enjoyed the journey more than I. I had fun with the first rebuild with Zbad, Ek, etc. And maybe this one was just too soon after to prospect/development follow all over again.

In something like Buffalo's case, they've been rebuilding for more than a 1/4 of my life.
I wouldn't say Buffalo has been rebuilding for 10+ years. I think for most of that time they toiled away in mediocrity and always on the outside looking in. They signed players like Okposo and Skinner with the idea of being competitive and it didn't work until they had a younger core

Joeffice

Mar 11, 2023
Regina
Chabot seems to be becoming a little divisive.
I don't think playing the right side has been too kind to him so far but he is still a valuable player and he stands out in transition.

He is decent that way, but he is so completely uninterested in actually playing defense.

Don't remember where I read it or heard it, but I think Chabot can be described as: "Erik Karlsson without the offense."

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
When has prorating anything in sports been a valid argument? That's like saying after winning the first game we should go 82-0.
The point is you made an inaccurate comment that Sens D can't score. Chychrun can and does. You were wrong so admit it.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The point is you made an inaccurate comment that Sens D can't score. Chychrun can and does. You were wrong so admit it.
He's played 8 games. Also, he's never had more than 23 assists.

How does that help on an elite level?

By your assessment he only needs to score 1 goal for me to be wrong.

What a dumb argument.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He's played 8 games. Also, he's never had more than 23 assists.

How does that help on an elite level?

By your assessment he only needs to score 1 goal for me to be wrong.

What a dumb argument.
He's played almost 400 games. If he's playing, he's clearly a proven scoring thread, and given that he's playing, we have a D who is a threat to score. Should he get injured, he will no longer be available and we won't have him as a scoring threat, until then, you're clearly wrong in your initial claim.

Reactions: DrEasy

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
He's played almost 400 games. If he's playing, he's clearly a proven scoring thread, and given that he's playing, we have a D who is a threat to score. Should he get injured, he will no longer be available and we won't have him as a scoring threat, until then, you're clearly wrong in your initial claim.
He's a player who given the ice time will produce like everyone else on the team. Every team for that matter has 6 guys on D who can and will score. Hopefully Sanderson develops into an elite offensive threat But I don't see chik as that guy.

No one here would consider Chabot a scoring threat. Will he get goals yes, but are either of these guys the type of quarter back we need to have a consistent threat from the blue line, no. Sanderson is who everyone is counting on.

At this point our D is average.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He's a player who given the ice time will produce like everyone else on the team. Every team for that matter has 6 guys on D who can and will score. Hopefully Sanderson develops into an elite offensive threat But I don't see chik as that guy.

No one here would consider Chabot a scoring threat. Will he get goals yes, but are either of these guys the type of quarter back we need to have a consistent threat from the blue line, no. Sanderson is who everyone is counting on.

No, not every team has D that can produce like Chychrun,

Chychrun is 4 in the league in goals per game since 20-21 (40+total games). Even if you don't want to use pace, he's 8th.

You're demonstrably wrong.

Reactions: DrEasy

Joeffice

Mar 11, 2023
Regina
It's funny watching somebody dig in to a losing position for the sake of it.
Of course Chychrun is a scoring threat. So is Jake Sanderson.

Agree that Chabot isn't though.

Reactions: JD1

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Chychrun was 10th in Norris voting a few seasons ago on a terrible Arizona team. He's that good... Not many defensemen play at his level. He's pretty much a perfect #2-3 guy to have on your team and with Chabot, Sandy and Zub this group of players matches well against anyone in the league. He's never played on a team with an offense as potent as what we have now. It would be no surprise if he puts up solid totals by the end of the season.

The issue that we have with the defense is these guys are injury prone and also 3 of them are lefties which exposes us on one side of the ice on a nightly basis against very good competition. That's a bit of a problem and maybe during the season it's manageable but when the playoffs come it will be exploited. Zub is a lot more important than people realize because of that. If you can match up Sandy-Zub against the best opposing line every night and give better matchups to Chyc-Chabot it makes things much easier overall.

Reactions: Big Muddy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
When has prorating anything in sports been a valid argument? That's like saying after winning the first game we should go 82-0.
It’s a thing.

But like are d is a threat tos core lol. One guy has 4 the other has 3 were 8 games in

I haven’t checked these stats. Perhaps one has 3 the other has 3.

Injury prone might be an understatement, heh.
Some of these guys seem to get injured every 2nd game.
Well chabot looks unsuspecting every time he gets hit

Reactions: Joeffice

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Chabot seems to be becoming a little divisive.
I don't think playing the right side has been too kind to him so far but he is still a valuable player and he stands out in transition.
Some good defensive coaching would help Chabot become a better defensive player. Hire Lidstrom to teach him .

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Well chabot looks unsuspecting every time he gets hit

I want to see what a new coach will do for Chabot. In a way I think you could say he is what he is, a pretty good transition Dman with good vision who can log up a ton of minutes. At the same time he's been used as a workhorse for so long that the way he plays the game has changed from when he entered the league. I think you're implying, in a way, that he looks a bit too relax out there sometimes or maybe in energy conservation mode.

He has the boots and talent to be more explosive and productive. He has the potential to be a real threath and I have no doubt he could do it in a different system maybe or with a coach that doesn't play him 30 minutes a night. He could play a more explosive style of game easily...

If you give him 20-22 minutes a night with someone he can rely on defensively he will be more agressive and engaged. I think we see glimpses of it since he's been paired with Chychrun but he could do it more consistently.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Just love the way Giroux can slow down the game & control the play & make some perfect passes, great tip by Greig & a great goal by Tkachuk who continues to lead this team.
I like the way Giroux controls and manages the puck, going to the quiet areas near the side boards to set up a pass to either the man attacking the net or the second wave of forwards entering the O Zone or to a D joining the attack as the 3rd wave. Giroux and Greig seem to have developed chemistry between them, knowing what the other player will do, and driving to open space or the net for a pass or shot tip. Reminds me a bit of Gretzky.

Reactions: aragorn and Boud

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Perhaps. Or maybe a little Tortorella to get him to snap out of it.
Torts can be very demanding on how he wants his players to play the game. I think that might help Chabot focus on his key defensive tasks and how he performs them. He seems soft, too relaxed and slow in doing certain things now, which gets him into trouble.

Reactions: DrEasy and aragorn

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
No, not every team has D that can produce like Chychrun,

Chychrun is 4 in the league in goals per game since 20-21 (40+total games). Even if you don't want to use pace, he's 8th.

You're demonstrably wrong.
I didn't say every team had a player like Chicrun. Given the ice team every team has players who will score.

My statement was our D are not a threat to score. This doesn't mean they will absolutely never score or should I have explained that part to you.

To date he averages 9 goals a season. Now he is on a better team and should get better chances but you are hoping he is better.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
No kidding. He seems just generally surprised and not understanding much of anything that goes on during an NHL hockey game.

I actually don't think he's an intelligent player whatsoever. He has some god given talent, but the brain is severely lacking. I mean, this is the guy that took his stick and smashed it over his teammates face on the bench last season. Situational awareness is not his thing. Not sure if anyone remembers this play, but the McDavid goal last year when he simply pushed Chabot away from a superior body position and then walks in on a free breakaway was probably the most infuriating sequence I've ever seen in a Sens game. Chabot looked absolutely surprised like you said. It was entirely caused by his lackadaisical play.

I'm frustrated with Chabot, but I still want to see what a new coach can do with him.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I want to see what a new coach will do for Chabot. In a way I think you could say he is what he is, a pretty good transition Dman with good vision who can log up a ton of minutes. At the same time he's been used as a workhorse for so long that the way he plays the game has changed from when he entered the league. I think you're implying, in a way, that he looks a bit too relax out there sometimes or maybe in energy conservation mode.

He has the boots and talent to be more explosive and productive. He has the potential to be a real threath and I have no doubt he could do it in a different system maybe or with a coach that doesn't play him 30 minutes a night. He could play a more explosive style of game easily...

If you give him 20-22 minutes a night with someone he can rely on defensively he will be more agressive and engaged. I think we see glimpses of it since he's been paired with Chychrun but he could do it more consistently.
The problem with the 20-22 minutes a night is there's 49 guys currently averaging 22+, 61 guys averaging 21+. And at 8 AAV, you need more than that out of him.

I've been saying that exact thing for a year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The problem with the 20-22 minutes a night is there's 49 guys currently averaging 22+, 61 guys averaging 21+. And at 8 AAV, you need more than that out of him.

Simmer does not compare to you. Who does really?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I didn't say every team had a player like Chicrun. Given the ice team every team has players who will score.

My statement was our D are not a threat to score. This doesn't mean they will absolutely never score or should I have explained that part to you.

To date he averages 9 goals a season. Now he is on a better team and should get better chances but you are hoping he is better.
It's amazing how somebody so wrong can be so confident in themselves and continue to dig in despite all the evidence against them.

Chychrun scored the 8th most goals of any D over the last 3 seasons, despite missing significant0 games. He's also in the top 30 in pts per game by a D despite playing on Arizona for most of that time. He's also currently scoring a pt per game. He's very clearly a threat to score.

Chabot is also in the top 30 in pts per game over that period, despite Ottawa being mid rebuild.

Even Sanderson was top 60 in scoring as a rookie D last year, he;s also got 7 in 8 so far this year.

How many teams have three guys that were in the top 60? not a lot.

Our D is demonstrably a threat to score, they are currently doing it after all, and have done it in the past.

Joeffice

Mar 11, 2023
Regina

Simmer does not compare to you. Who does really?

I think the Senators are stuck with Chabot no matter what. No team will trade for him when his play is about 30% the value of his salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad