Rumor: Chris Johnston: Leafs looking at bringing in 2 veteran goalies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
TSN's Chris Johnston: said on his podcast that he believes that the Leafs will bring 2 veteran goalies in the off season,he doesn't believe they are sold on Joseph Woll because of his injury issues.

As a fan this makes me very happy because as talented as Joseph Woll is, and he is, he does have injury issues, he missed 3 months this year because he got hurt on a muffin of a shot, and then he missed game 7 against Boston because he attempted to make a save on a shot that he literally did not even need to attempt to save because game 6 was already over he took himself out of game 7.

Joseph Woll needs to be the backup for awhile until you proves he can be healthy enough to be a legitimate #1 goalie.

The talent is there, so far the health is not.

Who do you think they bring in?

Lots of goalies available.

Markstrom
Saros
Gibson
Merzlikns
Potentially Jarry
Hoffer played well does that make Binner available?
What about Vejmelka in Utah?

Side note Utah having a team is still strange to me.

I know people are down on Gibson and Merzlikns but I'd be fine with either of them, I think they just need to get off their current teams, especially Gibson.

Regardless they have to acquire a goalie because they only have 1 under contract so they have no choice.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Gibson would prob make sense with retention…. While woll continues to develop as the main guy

2 seems weird unless he means like an ahl/nhl tweener in case of injury’s like stalock or something

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Matt Murray will be the guy
I think the idea is that Toronto had to play on their heels, as their goaltending wasn't secure. Matt Murray is not the dependable guy they need.

Toronto is looking for a dependable vet goalie who will be in their prime for 2-3 years. Of the goalies suggested by OP, I'd put them in this order:

Saros
Markstrom
Gibson
Merzlikns

The Leafs need to up their defence too. They simply cannot be in a situation where they are holding forwards back, because their back end is not reliable.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ledge And Dairy

Gibson probably won't waive
Markstrom would be available but not cheap
Boston will make Ullmark available but not to Toronto
Saros and Binner would probably only come in a Marner trade
Jarry could fit but would also be more of the same issue with Woll, injury prone

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Gibson might be a medium risk, high reward guy. The risk will be the $$$, the cost to acquire him should be low. When he tries, he's good. But playing on this team has killed his motivation. Playing on a contender might spark him, especially if he wants a contract after this one is up. Hopefully playing under Eakins didn't break him...

But goaltending didn't seem to be the issue this year. Add a playoff performer or two and that series looks completely different. 2 1 goal losses (not counting the empty net in the difference) and a 2 goal loss. Only 1 game scoring more than 2.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Gibson probably won't waive
Markstrom would be available but not cheap
Boston will make Ullmark available but not to Toronto
Saros and Binner would probably only come in a Marner trade
Jarry could fit but would also be more of the same issue with Woll, injury prone

When have you ever seen a goalie land a star forward in a trade?

Also why wouldn't Gibson waive to get away from the Dumpster fire that is the Ducks?

Markstrom not being cheap doesn't matter to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad