Rumor: Chris Johnston: Leafs looking at bringing in 2 veteran goalies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
tavares for varlamov
sign stolarz as a #3
Tavares makes $11M and Varlamov makes $2.75M. So, assuming Tavares to LI is even possible, they'd need to make the money make sense. Maybe add JGP and/or retention on Tavares?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Your logic just argued that Frederick Andersen has had a better career than Dominik Hasek. Winning percentage doesn't mean as much to me as a lot of other stats.

I wouldn't mind Samsonov or Woll as one of our goaltenders next season, I'm nervous about relying on them as a tandem and with Woll outplaying Samsonov last season, being younger and having more upside while being cheaper, he's probably the guy I'd prefer. Honestly, there isn't even a guarantee Samsonov would want to sign with us as a UFA anyway.

Maybe we should just throw money at Swayman so we don't need to worry about playing him anymore.

My logic only applied to the suggestion that "Samsonov cost us 15 points this year"... he didn't... flat out. He had one of the highest points percentages amongst all goalies this year.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If Woll is the guy, but they're worried about his injury history, it doesn't really make sense to bring in a starter/1A type. That's just going to be the starter.

Find two Stolarz/Brossoit types that can take the net for spells. Cheaper. Use the saved cap space on the roster.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
If Woll is the guy, but they're worried about his injury history, it doesn't really make sense to bring in a starter/1A type. That's just going to be the starter.

Find two Stolarz/Brossoit types that can take the net for spells. Cheaper. Use the saved cap space on the roster.
His career high games played in pros is 32 in the AHL. You need a 1b at least to cover the other 50 games every year

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Title of the thread is a bit misleading and could lead people to believe the Leafs could push out Woll by bringing in 2 vets.

He specified that 1 of the vet goalies they will sign is probably going to be Marlies bound similar to the role they brought in Martin Jones for last offseason. Leafs goalie depth chart next season will probably be Woll+vet, and Hildeby+vet for the Marlies.

Reactions: banks

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'd love to get a good experienced vet that knows he's a 1B. A Reimer or Brossoit or Allen type.

And then bringing in a 3rd to keep on the roster wouldn't be the worst idea. I'd love Jones back but he's earned at least a backup job with how scarce good goalies are

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Relax gentlemen, Eddie cleans up well.
Ed-Belfour-Chair-BLG_0386.jpg

Seriously though, WTF are they looking for?
Tristan Jarry is more than available, Pick him up for his funny helmet cartoons if nothing else.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The Jackets would be willing to retain heavily to move on from Merzlikins. He wasn't even bad this year but there have been too many issues over the years and it's time to move on.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
If I remember correctly, next year's crop of free agent goalies is pretty damned good, so they shouldn't sign anyone for more than 1-2 years to give themselves room next year when they will have a shit-ton of money to spend.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Just easier to blame the goalie. When all 3 of leafs goalies put up meh numbers, its the team defense thats the problem.

What are you even talking about?

“All 3 leafs goalies” didn’t put up meh numbers. Only Samsonov did

So many people just talking directly out of their asses

Attachments

• IMG_3557.jpeg
    IMG_3557.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 3

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Even top goalies like Hasek and Roy never had anything close to that value.

Goalies should have HUGE value but they don't and never have.
Hasek, isn’t a comparison for anything. He made the trade and didn’t want to weaken Detroit.

If you look at that package Roy got, it was pretty good at the time especially having to make that trade as soon as Roy made that legendary whisper.

What are you even talking about?

“All 3 leafs goalies” didn’t put up meh numbers. Only Samsonov did

So many people just talking directly out of their asses
Yep. Leafs goaltending has been pretty good in the playoffs overall. Samsonov has been really the only garbage goaltender. It’s their big money offensive players that go completely gutless in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad