Speculation: Chris Johnston: Panthers ownership gives Tallon directive to cut 10 million in salary for next year

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Oh there it is...I was wondering when the "bad Panthers owner" syndrome was going to kick in. And people still blame Tallon for this mess after the crap over the past 10 years with Viner/Yormark, then the Rowe garbage, and now this...

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Oh there it is...I was wondering when the "bad Panthers owner" syndrome was going to kick in. And people still blame Tallon for this mess after the crap over the past 10 years with Viner/Yormark, then the Rowe garbage, and now this...
Ever think tallon’s failure and big signings this offseason contributed to wanting to cut salary?

Reactions: Clint and klabob

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
I just don't understand : what's the point on spending 10 mil*7 years in summer on goalie who then underperforms and then trying to cut salary in similar value next summer when your underperforming goalie is unmovable?

Reactions: I am not exposed

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Ever think tallon’s failure and big signings this offseason contributed to wanting to cut salary?

No because real owners would let the hockey people make the decisions with full financial support. Not whipsaw things back and forth. How does it make ANY sense to spend to the cap one year and then cut $10M the next?

The biggest thing this franchise has needed since ever, was an owner that could provide stability and to stick with a plan for more than 3 f***ing seasons. We have not had that, ever.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
No because real owners would let the hockey people make the decisions with full financial support. Not whipsaw things back and forth. How does it make ANY sense to spend to the cap one year and then cut $10M the next?

The biggest thing this franchise has needed since ever, was an owner that could provide stability and to stick with a plan for more than 3 f*cking seasons. We have not had that, ever.
Salary is not the same as cap space so it’s not ideal but not terrible. If Tallon was a better GM we wouldn’t be in this situation.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Not saying CJ isn't reliable, but this is a wait and see kinda situation. Not really much to cut going into next year unless Bob is moved somehow.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Salary is not the same as cap space so it’s not ideal but not terrible. If Tallon was a better GM we wouldn’t be in this situation.

It would be near impossible to shed $10M salary without cutting back on cap space. If this is true, we are cutting cap space while the cap goes up next year, which will put us back into the familiar position of underspending half the league.

If the owners actually go through with this, just sell the team and move on. I'd like to hear it from more than one source though, this just seems like a really stupid move by owners that don't seem THAT stupid.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
It would be near impossible to shed $10M salary without cutting back on cap space. If this is true, we are cutting cap space while the cap goes up next year, which will put us back into the familiar position of underspending half the league.

If the owners actually go through with this, just sell the team and move on. I'd like to hear it from more than one source though, this just seems like a really stupid move by owners that don't seem THAT stupid.
We will shed salary but could be close to say 5 million under the cap.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I don't buy this crap at all. Why would they let Tallon go crazy with all those longterm deals only to handcuff him the next year?
It’s certainly possible. So many deals are front loaded these days so it’s not a huge deal if we make trades instead of getting guys via free agency.

makes me think one of dadonov or Hofman could be traded now to get a first round pick since there is zero chance we sign both if this is true

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
It’s certainly possible. So many deals are front loaded these days so it’s not a huge deal if we make trades instead of getting guys via free agency.

makes me think one of dadonov or Hofman could be traded now to get a first round pick since there is zero chance we sign both if this is true
I honestly think we need to make one of those deals. I doubt we get both back.

Reactions: klabob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad