News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part VI

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If it weren't for the games I'm forced to watch on that network, I would completely ignore it. It's been complete garbage for 20+ years.
Yep. I completely gave up after Favre-gate.

It’s sad that guys like the late Chris Mortenson busted their asses to build that network’s reputation only to watch themselves get marginalized in favor of lazy blowhards like Skip Bayless.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Haven't liked ESPN since NBC got the NHL deal. They became the thing they didn't want to be with their huge corporate structure.

I miss this version of ESPN overall...
1715220505965.png

But this is the best the US has ever done covering hockey...
1715220644177.png

Such a shame they couldn't rekindle the magic.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'll say one thing in Adrian's defence, the morning after I watched that game I watched that press conference and he cheered me right up. Completely forgot about the loss after that. What a dingus.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Yeah ESPN is truly awful in general anymore and their hockey coverage is the the absolute worst.
No one should be forced to watch the SVP Sportscenter. I have zero idea how he became iconic for them.

I don't really know who most of the game announcers are, but the play by play dudes have been obviously directed to scream when a goal is scored. I thought last night, man this dude screams for every goal and then realized that I was watching a different game now but they did the exact same scream.

I like Bucci in general, he's good for the main panel face. I try to give Emily Cohen the benefit of the doubt since she's more of a writer than a broadcast person and I also feel like they shoved her into that in front of camera role, but she's so awkward in every interaction. AND HER HAIR. You know you're doing badly when I notice your hair.

avalanche_country

Mar 3, 2004
Denver, CO
No one should be forced to watch the SVP Sportscenter. I have zero idea how he became iconic for them.

I don't really know who most of the game announcers are, but the play by play dudes have been obviously directed to scream when a goal is scored. I thought last night, man this dude screams for every goal and then realized that I was watching a different game now but they did the exact same scream.

I like Bucci in general, he's good for the main panel face. I try to give Emily Cohen the benefit of the doubt since she's more of a writer than a broadcast person and I also feel like they shoved her into that in front of camera role, but she's so awkward in every interaction. AND HER HAIR. You know you're doing badly when I notice your hair.
I liked bucci until he said he voted for kuch for mvp 😬

Reactions: Gumballhead

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka

I actually do like Bucci and even Levy. I have always liked Weeksy too. Also, I think Linda Cohn is genuinely super excited to have hockey back on the station.

IMO the problem lies with the producers. I’m not sure I can put my finger on why, but the whole production is just off. I guess that’s what you get when you have Mickey Mouse covering hockey.

For example one of their PBP guys is truly awful and has no personality. Messi and Subban shouldn’t be in the same building chemistry wise much less be on the same panel, either.

They leave much to be desired for hockey fans. TNT does a much better job, at least IMO.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I actually do like Bucci and even Levy. I have always liked Weeksy too. Also, I think Linda Cohn is genuinely super excited to have hockey back on the station.

IMO the problem lies with the producers. I’m not sure I can put my finger on it but the whole production is just off. I guess that’s what you get when you have Mickey Mouse covering hockey.

For example one of their PBP guys is truly awful and has no personality. Messi and Subban shouldn’t be in the same building chemistry wise much less be on the same panel, either.

They leave much to be desired for hockey fans. TNT does a much better job, at least IMO.

Agree with all of this. It's just cookie cutter, boilerplate production, because they don't care enough to provide a good product. Just like they don't care enough to work the bugs out of ESPN+. They bring in good money without caring, so why start?

Also, their analysts leave a lot to be desired now. I'm all for bringing women into the production, they need better representation. And I get that there's a double standard they have to deal with, where if they get too excited, they get accused of screeching, which must suck to deal with.

But it's also hard listening to AJ and Cassie Campell basically just provide flat, unemotional analysis during incredibly exciting moments. It kills the enthusiasm. They also don't really provide much insight, they basically just read all their pre-written talking points for three periods, and then describe what everyone can see on the replays.

Even though he used to be a bit of an Avs hater, Ray Ferraro has become by far the best, and perhaps only good analyst on ESPN IMO. I wish we had him more in the Avs series.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com

IMO the problem lies with the producers. I’m not sure I can put my finger on why, but the whole production is just off. I guess that’s what you get when you have Mickey Mouse covering hockey.

I run hot and cold on Levy, but i’ve been watching him forever so he’s comfortable. I’ve always loved Linda Cohn, she’s a real
one.

Reactions: 5280

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $260.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark