OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Lord of the Rings was well adapted. Cut out a lot of the slow stuff for the theatrical releases, but filmed everything for the hardcore nerds in the extended editions.

His Dark Materials is another sci-fi/fantasy franchise that has had some adaptation trouble. The Golden Compass movie was pretty faithful to the story and well-acted, but was a box office flop and will never get the planned sequels.

They have a series on HBO now, and it's been ok but I can't quite get into it. Some of the details seem off, and that really matters for a series like that where setting and atmosphere are so important.
speaking of good adaptations

has anyone else watch "The Stand"?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Enjoyed Dune, but I think Villeneuve is in the Ridley Scott camp of being so visually awesome that you can tell he’s not so interested in the characters/actors. So there’s some depth missing from some important points in the book. But the visuals are really great and make up for it. Felt the same way about Blade Runner 2049.

Also I can highly recommend playing Psychonauts 2, along with a bag of totally legal gummies.

Reactions: RNCDevil

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Enjoyed Dune, but I think Villeneuve is in the Ridley Scott camp of being so visually awesome that you can tell he’s not so interested in the characters/actors. So there’s some depth missing from some important points in the book. But the visuals are really great and make up for it. Felt the same way about Blade Runner 2049.

I disagree about the bolded. I previously noted that some characters didn't have enough backstory explanation, but I was mostly referring to the secondary characters. For the main characters, I thought the script and acting did a great job to convey their thoughts and emotions in a way that was consistent with the source material. Paul and Jessica in particular were fully fleshed out.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
So happy curb your enthusiasm is back, great first episode and...

there was some covid jokes, god damn Albert Brooks is a covid hoarder! haha

Also loved Larry pitching a Netflix show on his HBO show lol

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Finally started Dune. Looks great. The first scene with Skaarsgaard’s character has to be a callback to Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now

Yeah seems like a nice little Easter egg. It’s exactly the same. I liked that touch.

I disagree about the bolded. I previously noted that some characters didn't have enough backstory explanation, but I was mostly referring to the secondary characters. For the main characters, I thought the script and acting did a great job to convey their thoughts and emotions in a way that was consistent with the source material. Paul and Jessica in particular were fully fleshed out.

I was probably a little harsh - I don’t think the movie was shallow script wise, just could’ve used a bit more characterization for the actors to chew on and to establish a little bit more nuance. But that’s how I feel about a lot of movies these days. Visuals aside, still a good movie, which I should’ve made clear.

What happens in the desert in the sequel is going to define whether the series is good vs. great. My favorite parts of the book are in the back half.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Dune. Love it.

1. Loved the ability to compare the Gurney/Paul training scene with the Patrick Stewart version
2. Harkonnens were even scarier than I remember from Lynch's version
3. As @Oneiro mentioned, the cinematography was great and perhaps even sacrificing some needed background; like the Suk School - nothing on Butlerian Jihad..blah blah
4. Bene Gesserit scenes were mostly great, but I thought some of the voice-overs were a bit cheesy and some of the Fremen dialogue was a bit silly
5. The visions as more lucid but less reliable were interesting to me
6. Rebecca Ferguson...gorgeous. In general, the casting was A+

Reactions: Saugus

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I really enjoyed Dune. It somehow was off my radar until later in life and then never got around to it. With the movie coming I purposefully avoided knowing much about it other than worms and spice.

I can see people being bummed it’s only the start of a tale but that didn’t bother me. I could have seen the movie story stretched over an 8 hour series and enjoyed the extra depth.

I saw today the Bene Gesserit are getting their own tv series so there will be TV depth added alongside the movies.

'The Sisterhood': 'Dune' Spinoff Series Hires Diane Ademu-John To Take Over As Showrunner

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
They really do cut it off right at the end of the beginning. And that was a 2.5 hour movie. They also have a spinoff series coming out? If people keep watching they can milk this for years. Can they make big budget movies though with so many folks now waiting to stream at home?

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
They really do cut it off right at the end of the beginning. And that was a 2.5 hour movie. They also have a spinoff series coming out? If people keep watching they can milk this for years. Can they make big budget movies though with so many folks now waiting to stream at home?

I'm glad they're making a Part 2.

There certainly is more source material for more movies after that, although I would be fine with them changing some things for the adaptations. Up until God Emperor of Dune it would make sense to follow the books pretty closely, because after that they start to get a little weird. And the less said about the stupid "prequels" written by Frank Herbert's son, the better.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey

There certainly is more source material for more movies after that, although I would be fine with them changing some things for the adaptations. Up until God Emperor of Dune it would make sense to follow the books pretty closely, because after that they start to get a little weird. And the less said about the stupid "prequels" written by Frank Herbert's son, the better.

What you dont like Worm God men? :naughty::naughty::laugh::laugh:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Cowboy Bebop

I’ve never watched any of the anime… anyone who has seen the show and the trailer Netflix released a few hours ago…. Does it seem true to the original? Seems very strange to an outsider like myself.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Cowboy Bebop

I’ve never watched any of the anime… anyone who has seen the show and the trailer Netflix released a few hours ago…. Does it seem true to the original? Seems very strange to an outsider like myself.

I loved the original anime, but the tone and the feeling just seems way off from all of the trailers ive seen for the tv show. It looks like it will be at least "okay" which probably a bit rare for anime adaptions.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I am becoming increasingly resigned to the likelihood that I will never get through all the shows and movies on my streaming queues. Just not enough time.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets

The fact that they announced Dune Part 2 so soon shows that Warner Bros. was hellbent on making this a thing whether we want it or not.

I tend to roll with a pretty cynical crowd of friends when it comes to modern pop culture, but for the most part the reactions I've seen range from "it's OK" to "hey this is actually pretty good." So I'll be watching it with the wife this weekend.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Apparently a sticking point in the negotiations for Part 2 was that Warners demanded the next one be released exclusively in theaters with no streaming at all.

Reactions: My3Sons

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
Cowboy Bebop

I’ve also never watched the anime, but ever since I heard a podcast say that the trailer looks like a well-budgeted fan film on Vimeo from the early 2010s, I can’t get that image out of my head.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
I feel sorry for anyone who paid $50 for the Switch Online expansion. I’m not as much of an emulator guy these days because Nintendo has made it harder to access for people like me who can’t be bothered to search for more than a minute, but if you can, emulate the hell out of these games.

I already have 3D All Stars, the 3DS versions of OoT and Star Fox (plus Majora’s Mask), and better Mario Karts to play than 64- plus I can plug in my old N64 if I wanted to play Mario Tennis. So I’m not gonna get this for a while.

Reactions: Darkauron

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I feel sorry for anyone who paid $50 for the Switch Online expansion. I’m not as much of an emulator guy these days because Nintendo has made it harder to access for people like me who can’t be bothered to search for more than a minute, but if you can, emulate the hell out of these games.

I already have 3D All Stars, the 3DS versions of OoT and Star Fox (plus Majora’s Mask), and better Mario Karts to play than 64- plus I can plug in my old N64 if I wanted to play Mario Tennis. So I’m not gonna get this for a while.

Nintendo has been a shit ass backwards company for a while now. But are allowed to get away with it constantly cause its Nintendo. It just shows how incompetent they continue to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad