Player Discussion Daniel Sprong

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Developing Sprong could pay big dividends down the road. Especially if he's not hurting the team being in the lineup. Free young cost controlled top 6 forward to be part of the Vrana/McMichael/Lapierre/Fehervary/Alexeyev/Samsonov movement. Conor Garland was about where Sprong was when he was the same age last year.
Garland plays with way more sandpaper to his game, and had 22 goals and 39 points before COVID stopped last season. Sprong has been a great depth value add, but he's not particularly comparable to Garland.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It is crazy to me that this kid has produced like he has now through multiple seasons on multiple teams and is still getting the scratch treatment on healthy teams.

The defensive gaps are there, but like.. how many other players get away with it when they produce at the rate Sprong does?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
It is crazy to me that this kid has produced like he has now through multiple seasons on multiple teams and is still getting the scratch treatment on healthy teams.

The defensive gaps are there, but like.. how many other players get away with it when they produce at the rate Sprong does?

He seems to be gaining Lavi's trust lately. Lavi has said he needs to be in a tol 6 role, not plugging away on the 3rd/4th lines with primarily defensive assignments, but this team is pretty stacked in the top 6 when healthy.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Oshie seems to have done really well on L3 why wouldn’t they layer the depth?

If everyone is healthy thats likely what they would do... but right now there are serious question marks about Ovi, Kuzy and Oshie being healthy for the playoffs. Kuzy being scratched, not injured, but same result, there will be an opening somewhere for Spronger.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Oshie seems to have done really well on L3 why wouldn’t they layer the depth?

They moved Oshie to 3 and then spread the minutes. Lavy said this was purely to manage playing time with a compressed schedule. When he moved 77 back up he quit doing that. He doesn't want Oshie playing 3rd line mins

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If everyone is healthy thats likely what they would do... but right now there are serious question marks about Ovi, Kuzy and Oshie being healthy for the playoffs. Kuzy being scratched, not injured, but same result, there will be an opening somewhere for Spronger.

I doubt they use Oshie outside the top 6
I

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not sure anyone including Lavi knows who plays and where they play as of right now. We have forward depth, and it will be tested, thats all we know for sure.

When all were healthy down the stretch Oshie was moved back up. You don't really think the Caps 2nd best goal scorer and inspiration is going to skate 3rd line minutes. Do you?

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
When all were healthy down the stretch Oshie was moved back up. You don't really think the Caps 2nd best goal scorer and inspiration is going to skate 3rd line minutes. Do you?

Most of his Oshie his goals came from the pp. This would actually be an argument for putting him on the 3rd, especially compared to Sprong who scores 5v5 on a way higher rate.

Reactions: Hivemind

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Most of his Oshie his goals came from the pp. This would actually be an argument for putting him on the 3rd, especially compared to Sprong who scores 5v5 on a way higher rate.

It's more likely Sprong is scratched than Oshie is demoted. Demoting Oshie for Sprong in the playoffs is straight up funny

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's more likely Sprong is scratched than Oshie is demoted. Demoting Oshie for Sprong in the playoffs is straight up funny

Sprong's goal per 60 is better than every player in the league at 5v5 that's played 30 plus games this year besides Matthews.

I feel like he's Vrana in 2018 for you guys all over again. The coach would be wise to put him in the top six in the playoffs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Wasn't Oshie already on the third line earlier this year?

Yes. He was specific about that. Because of the compressed schedule he wanted to spread the talent and roll 4 lines. At a point down the stretch he moved Oshie back to the top 6 and the top 6 started taking more ice time. The nominal 3rd line often played less than the 4th line at that point. I believe that was after Oshie had that run of games playing center.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sprong's goal per 60 is better than every player in the league at 5v5 that's played 30 plus games this year besides Matthews.

I feel like he's Vrana in 2018 for you guys all over again. The coach would be wise to put him in the top six in the playoffs.

Laviolette clearly likes Sheary better than Sprong and appears to prefer Raffl to Sprong. Oshie's role is forecheck and puck retrieving. Sprong doesnt do that. Mantha really doesnt do that either.

If you want Sprong in the top 6, moving Mantha down might make a lot more sense.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Posted this in GDT but will put it here more appropriately:

I have been really impressed with Sprong the last couple of weeks because of the following (in no real order):
1. Scores goals
2. Wicked wrister
3. Not afraid to shoot the puck
4. Has become a puck hound on the forecheck
5. His back checking has been 10x better. Several times I have noticed him getting back and disrupting play on the entry

The last one is probably the most important for getting playoff minutes.

that said, I think he still likely gets scratched IF everyone is healthy due to Sheary and Raffl having playoff experience and Raffl bringing a bit more grit. But on any given night and how people are playing and what they are bringing, those three could rotate. But Sprong is a keeper for sure. He’ll get plenty of playoff games.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Scratching Sprong for Raffl is nuts. I like Raffl but he seems like just a good 4th liner with minimal production.

in Raffls short time here Sprongs impact dwarfs his.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
If they need a center replacement I could see Raffl over Sprong but otherwise there should be no way that Raffl gets a jersey over Sprong in the playoffs.

I was ripping on Sprong’s defensive game earlier but he has been much better recently. He will add a scoring threat to the third line (hopefully if everyone is healthy) instead of just hoping to tread water.

Reactions: um

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad