Player Discussion Darnell Nurse is a #1 dman

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
1715620479354.png

Knoblauch cannot keep this pair together. Period.

• Wow
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It’s legitimately hilarious how badly Holland f***ed up the Nurse contract.

Ekholm completely blows him out of the water.

It isn't even necessarily the dollar figure either, although that sucks too. It's the fact that he front loaded it making a buyout impossible.

If you're paying over market rate for a guy and everyone knows it, you need some way to get out. That could be no NMC, making it buyout friendly, etc. Holland just stepped up and gave him all three - overpay, buy out proof, NMC.

If the buyout looked similar to Dubois, for example, I would just say "f*** it, this blows but it opens up enough room to replace him with someone adequate." Instead we would have to eat $9M of buyout penalties for three years.

Reactions: guymez

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
After McDavid, I had the biggest hopes for Nurse when he took the ice on his first NHL game. Was hoping he became our home grown #1 D. Our Pronger-lite. Has been nothing but disappointment since the extension.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It isn't even necessarily the dollar figure either, although that sucks too. It's the fact that he front loaded it making a buyout impossible.

If you're paying over market rate for a guy and everyone knows it, you need some way to get out. That could be no NMC, making it buyout friendly, etc. Holland just stepped up and gave him all three - overpay, buy out proof, NMC.

If the buyout looked similar to Dubois, for example, I would just say "f*** it, this blows but it opens up enough room to replace him with someone adequate." Instead we would have to eat $9M of buyout penalties for three years.
Holland just has zero clue about the salary cap or negotiation. The chances of this contract blowing up in his face was always high.

The sad thing is that the arrival of the Bouchard/Ekholm pairing should've taken some of the pressure off Nurse.... but his pairing still finds itself way at the bottom game after game.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
View attachment 869956

Knoblauch cannot keep this pair together. Period.
The more interesting with/without to me is Nurse and RNH.

Nurse without RNH: 81 minutes, 50.49% xGF
Nurse with RNH: 53 minutes, 18.46% xGF lol

If Nurse+Ceci were the root cause, you'd think they'd have terrible numbers with everyone. Maybe it has something to do with them primarily playing with the worst playoff performer to ever wear an Oilers jersey.

• Wow
Reactions: frag2 and Tarus

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Is Nurse better away from Ceci? Who is the bigger culprit?
About even imo. Yesterday Ceci had a giveaway behind the net that popped out front and Van almost scored. The reason he had the giveaway was cuz Nurse fed him the puck under double coverage
Nurse regularly puts Ceci and the wingers in terrible positions.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

If Nurse+Ceci were the root cause, you'd think they'd have terrible numbers with everyone. Maybe it has something to do with them primarily playing with the worst playoff performer to ever wear an Oilers jersey.
Or maybe Nurse just sucks. :D

Seriously though...at a certain point in time we need to stop making excuses for a player that will never provide value for his cap hit. He is just so inconsistent with his decision making and it seems to be everyones fault but his.
With that money this defence could really be improved.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Or maybe Nurse just sucks. :D

Seriously though...at a certain point in time we need to stop making excuses for a player that will never provide value for his cap hit.
With that money this defence could really be improved.
People shouldn't bring up numbers if they don't want to talk about the context to those numbers haha.

It seems kind of silly point to Nurse+Ceci's with/without when there's players on the team with worse with/without numbers.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
Is Nurse better away from Ceci? Who is the bigger culprit?
That's the problem- I don't think we have a pairing that makes sense for those two. By my eye, the single biggest issue is that both Nurse and Ceci are average to below average passers, and they struggle mightily against teams that take away their time and space. I feel like every time I watch that pairing they're icing the puck, or launching a pass 5+ feet off its mark. That's why they had equally terrible numbers against Colorado and Vegas.

What can we do about it? Ekholm and Bouchard are excelling (4-1 and 3-1 at 5 on 5, respectively) so I wouldn't touch that pairing. Would Nurse-Desharnais and Kulak-Ceci be better? Maybe a bit, but he reality is our defensive depth gets exposed against teams with 2 or 3 good lines. I would probably try to limit their minutes, and maybe try to get that pairing out there with someone like McLeod who is solid defensively and really effective at transitioning the puck.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If RNH played D, he would do a better job than Nurse. So this isn't who play with who. Nurse just isn't very good and his deal sucks right now

Reactions: McBaevid

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
People shouldn't bring up numbers if they don't want to talk about the context to those numbers haha.

It seems kind of silly point to Nurse+Ceci's with/without when there's players on the team with worse with/without numbers.
Of course.
Its also silly to omit visul indicators that a player isnt playing at a level high enough to justify his place on the team.
I would also suggest to you that there are players on the Oilers that seem to compensate for Nurse better than other players. There could be a lot of variables for that and getting caught up in those variables could well be a waste of time.

The bottom line...Nurse is an expensive liability to try to accomodate.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Of course.
Its also silly to omit visul indicators that a player isnt playing at a level high enough to justify his place on the team.
I would also suggest to you that there are players on the Oilers that seem to compensate for Nurse better than other players. There could be a lot of variables for that and getting caught up in those variables could well be a waste of time.

The bottom line...Nurse is an expensive liability to try to accomodate.
I think it's pretty simple.

Nurse sucks at defending. Put him with a forward who is getting out-chanced 9-1, it's going to result in him defending a lot more.

Accommodations are going above and beyond. Expecting to play with forwards with a pulse is more of a baseline expectation than an accommodation.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The obvious "tale of two teams", as that graph puts it, is McDavid. I think it's fair to say it's obvious who impacts Oilers games most.

Oilers with McDavid: 62.92 xGF%

Oilers without McDavid: 41.60 xGF%

Is it really surprising that a guy who has played 88% of his minutes away from McDavid has numbers closer to the without stat?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

They have the worst with/without for whoever they play with. Red Herring.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Nurse has become a master of looking good on the stats and terrible on ice. He can get scored on while doing the starfish but still finish the game with a net positive.

Just like Skinner, next season people will forget how terrible of a playoffs he had and there's nothing you can do to convince those people otherwise

Reactions: NashtoNowitzki

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Well their numbers are all encompassing and they're routinely getting throttled. And it's not like this is an isolated incident. In our last two playoff losses the two players were dreadfully in the minus as they are again this series.

The first pairing is excelling and the third pairing is doing a decent job, but this pairing just doesn't work at either end of the ice. RNH isn't amazing by any means but when the numbers are that bad across all situations then the fact of the matter is that the pairing just sucks.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Well their numbers are all encompassing and they're routinely getting throttled. And it's not like this is an isolated incident. In our last two playoff losses the two players were dreadfully in the minus as they are again this series.

The first pairing is excelling and the third pairing is doing a decent job, but this pairing just doesn't work at either end of the ice. RNH isn't amazing by any means but when the numbers are that bad across all situations then the fact of the matter is that the pairing just sucks.
I don't disagree the pairing sucks. I'm just saying playing with everyone's favorite ghost is definitely going to magnify that.

Like that graph is pointing at a 53% drop in the team's xGA/60 without Nurse/Ceci meanwhile their xGA/60 drops over 150% without RNH haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad