Value of: Darnell Nurse

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Hypothetical scenario: Oilers miss the playoffs, Holland is fired and a new GM decides to put Nurse on the block before his NMC kicks in.

RaCzWUo.png

OL3irfH.png

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
But how much are the oilers willing to retain?

I don't think anything . Nurse should be paid about 1.5 million less . 7.75 is a fair number for Nurse . If the Oiler were to move him at his cap hit the return will be less or they will have to take back a cap dump at about 12 million to get good value .

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I don't think anything . Nurse should be paid about 1.5 million less . 7.75 is a fair number for Nurse . If the Oiler were to move him at his cap hit the return will be less or they will have to take back a cap dump at about 12 million to get good value .
That contract is a cap killer.

When the contract kicks in he will have the 27th overall cap hit, 7th highest among D. 4th highest overall salary. :eek:

Cant see any team making a hockey trade for him. That contract is just too much $$$.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

When the contract kicks in he will have the 27th overall cap hit, 7th highest among D. 4th highest overall salary. :eek:

Cant see any team making a hockey trade for him. That contract is just too much $$$.

He should have been paid 7.5-8 on his next contract but I think in the next few seasons we will see a lot of good Dmen signing in the 9 million range.

Reactions: TFHockey

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He is not better than Cam Fowler, and I am not a huge Cam Fowler fan (ask the Ducks board) and Nurse makes about 3 million dollars more....Nurse should pay Drai/McDavid 3 million dollars a year...and his agent an extra million a year for pulling that deal out.

Definitely an albatross for an albatross type of trade here. The guy is a decent player, but 6.5 mil annually is proper contract amount. He’s being paid like Heiskonen & Makar, who are miles ahead of him.
100% this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
He is not better than Cam Fowler, and I am not a huge Cam Fowler fan (ask the Ducks board) and Nurse makes about 3 million dollars more....Nurse should pay Drai/McDavid 3 million dollars a year...and his agent an extra million a year for pulling that deal out.
Some of those kickbacks would have to go NJ and Chicago for overpaying other D men on the UFA market.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If, hypothetically, Nurse hadn't signed that contract and was a UFA, and the rules allowed 8 year contracts, and his ask was 8 years at 9.25, I would hope my team would not sign him..

Honestly I would rather have that cap space than Nurse for 8 years at that price, so I think to a lot of teams in the league, he probably has very little value.

That doesn't mean that there isn't one GM out there that wouldn't give up a substantial package, but it might be a tough sell.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I think the COVID and flat capish or minimal cap raise for the next few yrs makes nurse untradable. Pre COVID if he was at 9.25 mil caphit, they could get value as teams know the cap goes up 3-4 million every year.

Reactions: bernmeister

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Why would the Oilers miss the playoffs? Division isn't strong and they have been pretty decent this year.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Hypothetical scenario: Oilers miss the playoffs, Holland is fired and a new GM decides to put Nurse on the block before his NMC kicks in.

RaCzWUo.png

OL3irfH.png
reasonable hypothetical for discussion

Oilers would have to retain to get anything meaningful back.
reasonable expectation

There will be no discussion on retention.
possible, but extremely difficult to do w'o retention
and
going there will necessitate one or more undesirable pieces
more than w/retaining

contract IS too much

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
He's a very good player that I'd have qualms paying $8M for an AAV. At his looming $9.25M price tag, I think the interest will be tepid in the time frame specified. Give him that first year to prove that he's worth the contract and maybe interest builds. Right now, I don't see it.

Granted, the NMC will then be in effect. He's set to control his destiny for the first five years of the deal, before the ironclad NMC becomes a modified NTC for the last three years. Yet the time frame under which the Oilers would need to make this hypothetical decision doesn't align well with the time frame of other GMs -- and their likely receptivity to acquiring him. The perception that he's about to be overpaid, and the flat growth in the cap due to Covid, is going to have a chilling effect on the trade market for big contracts around the league.

There's no indication that the Oilers want to move him, of course. Yet I doubt they'd find it easy if they did want to course correct at this stage.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
His contract becomes one of the worst in the NHL when it kicks in next season. And with his play this year? HE is a 3-4 d-man paid 1-2 money. So to get anything for him oilers will need to retain 50% and they will get maybe a late 1st and a B prospect

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Thats why I said they would have to take back 1.5 millions x 8 or 12,000,000 over a shorter time period . Nurse is worth 7.75 in todays economics

His contract becomes one of the worst in the NHL when it kicks in next season. And with his play this year? HE is a 3-4 d-man paid 1-2 money. So to get anything for him oilers will need to retain 50% and they will get maybe a late 1st and a B prospect

Bullshit . You can not sign a player of Nurse's caliber for 4.625 M a year .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad