Player Discussion: David Jiricek, 6th Overall, 2022 Draft

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
And in getting experience he will grow
That's fine, just saying I don't think Jarmo said 'let's get DJ up here so he can gain experience and grow his game in the NHL'. I think it was more like 'OK we have blue line injuries...who is the next best guy down in Cleveland...DJ...OK let's bring him up and see what he can do'.

I believe Jarmo's plan was for DJ to remain in Cleveland longer than five games while developing his North American game.

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
Typically I would scold management for bringing a rookie up to fill a roster need. But Jiricek looks atypical.

Over the past year and a half he's played a lot against varying levels of competition. He's never been absolutely stellar, but he hasn't looked overwhelmed at any level. We have yet to find his ceiling.

Some athletes rise to the level of their competition, and maybe that's what makes DJ atypical. Given what he's shown so far, it's a reasonable challenge to offer him.

Maybe he gets a few games and learns what he needs to work on. Or maybe he steps in and takes a job for the long term. Either seems plausible. As long as he's not sitting in the press box watching, I think it will be good for him.

And it should definitely be fun for the fans. So, you know, yay!

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Ok I can forget about FO decisions for tomorrow.

I'm so happy for David Jiricek and his family that they get to have this moment. I love this player.
I think David Jiříček is the best d-man from 2022 draft. He's more versatile than Nemec, can play hard at the boards, in the front of the net. If he improves, we could have an ideal the 1th d-man.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Plan was always for Jiricek to get some time with the jackets , as it will really jumpstart the rebuild if he can get his legs under him this season . Blue line could look radically different with his size and presence. Excited to watch him tonight

Reactions: VT and Halberdier

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Happy for the kid and his family but I’m not at all excited to see an 18 year old dman rushed into an NHL lineup.

I’m just a big believer in letting these draft picks, ESPECIALLY defensemen, bake for a year in lower leagues. Loved that Jiricek was playing big minutes for the Monsters and having some success finding his North American game down there.

Hope this FO isn’t sacrificing his development for a “Doug Maclean-ish” win now mentality.

I mean what happened to the “brick by brick” “come grow with us” approach?

Regardless I’ll be watching hoping for the best as always.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Happy for the kid and his family but I’m not at all excited to see an 18 year old dman rushed into an NHL lineup.

I’m just a big believer in letting these draft picks, ESPECIALLY defensemen, bake for a year in lower leagues. Loved that Jiricek was playing big minutes for the Monsters and having some success finding his North American game down there.

Hope this FO isn’t sacrificing his development for a “Doug Maclean-ish” win now mentality.

I mean what happened to the “brick by brick” “come grow with us” approach?

Regardless I’ll be watching hoping for the best as always.
Exactly - if we had 5 solid dmen (defensively) then I would be ok with it (more ok with it).
But this doesn't seem like the best idea.

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
He was fine but at this point I just want to keep the stink off the kid.

I am scared that we are going to watch this team ruin Jiricek.
I agree, but if he's better than Peeke, Gavrikov, Bayreuther and maybe Werenski (but I didn' watch the whole game) I think he could play more games. Of course not the whole season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I agree, but if he's better than Peeke, Gavrikov, Bayreuther and maybe Werenski (but I didn' watch the whole game) I think he could play more games. Of course not the whole season.

He wasn't better.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
With Kids its future vs the now. I dont even compare 18 year olds to the current roster because im more concerned about what Jiricek will be at 21 when you can really start to judge him and start to see what he is.
The only time I think different are the obviously elite like McDavid, Matthews and Eichel. Notice Sillinger isnt on that list, I didnt like him being up last year either.

Reactions: majormajor and VT

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
With Kids its future vs the now. I dont even compare 18 year olds to the current roster because im more concerned about what Jiricek will be at 21 when you can really start to judge him and start to see what he is.
The only time I think different are the obviously elite like McDavid, Matthews and Eichel. Notice Sillinger isnt on that list, I didnt like him being up last year either.
I agree, I hope he will play in Cleveland this season. Maybe Sillinger the last season too but we didn't have a center (Nobody wanted Domi there).

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I agree, I hope he will play in Cleveland this season. Maybe Sillinger the last season too but we didn't have a center (Nobody wanted Domi there).
I know why he was there but potentially damaging a players development to put a bandaid on a massive wound is bad management and coaching.

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I know why he was there but potentially damaging a players development to put a bandaid on a massive wound is bad management and coaching.
Maybe we could sign a veteran. Cole would play either in CHL or Cleveland. But we can't see behind the scenes.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I'm good with most of the recent posts here. Jiricek looks like he is going to be a really good player. He had some good moments and some learning moments last night. But he shouldn't be learning on the NHL team "next man up" or not.

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I'm good with most of the recent posts here. Jiricek looks like he is going to be a really good player. He had some good moments and some learning moments last night. But he shouldn't be learning on the NHL team "next man up" or not.
If it only is a few NHL games here and there I'm fine with it. Not thrilled with it though. In person he honestly looked pretty good in the exact ways he projected to, timely pinches, pass breakups, aggressive "enthusiastic" play. Once his strength catches up to his style of play he's going to be seriously good.

I'm of the opinion Jiricek and Mateychuk will save the blueline and therefore the team but I'm also probably the person on this board who's the very highest on them both combined.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Jiricek is real good at feeding 1-timers on the PP.
I've had a thought that when Laine's career is finished you'll be able to tell when his stints of playing with Byfuglien and Jiricek were by his PPG during given seasons. His production on the powerplay depends quite a lot on who's playing the point. With the AHL season Jiricek is having, Laine may not need to wait much longer to get that help.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I've had a thought that when Laine's career is finished you'll be able to tell when his stints of playing with Byfuglien and Jiricek were by his PPG during given seasons. His production on the powerplay depends quite a lot on who's playing the point. With the AHL season Jiricek is having, Laine may not need to wait much longer to get that help.
The great thing about having Jiricek and Laine on the ice together is that they are both capable of launching bombs from the point, so go ahead and cheat towards Laine to stop his shot, Jiricek is equally as capable of letting one rip from the point.

Reactions: Fro and LJ7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad