Pre-Game Talk: Decisions decision decisions

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
If you haven’t had a chance to listen to Servalli on Stauffer’s show today- I recommend you doing so. It was excellent. Great take on Skinner and Schwartz. I’m

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This is the fraud that is Vinny. He's actually always been soft and not very physical, outside of occasionally clearing the front of the net. He's too slow and terrible to break a cycle and just tries to hold people behind the net lightly.He's never actually been a physical menace. He's a huge 6'7 dman that doesn't make life difficult for the opposition, and is too slow and terrible to have good stick checking.

Gregor thinks he’s getting 2.5 - 3M x 3 or 4. Seravalli destroyed him for that take.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No huge decision at all actually

Skinner in (lots of horrible defensive play in front of him), he got us here and he will carry us forward.
And
Can more than 5 skaters show up please?
This is sarcasm?

I know we’re all happy that McLeod can play defensive hockey but my god we need him to piss a drop of offence from him and that line.
He’s not tough or physical either so he really doesn’t do much as a 3rd line C.

8 games played 0-0-0 and a -2
In fairness he'd have 3 assists if his passes were finished. Made beauties to several players including Nuge who hit post on a wide open net from 10 ft out. Yes that was Mcleod with the primary if Nuge doesn't completely botch it. Others like Connor Brown or Perry have blown every chance always and Foegele is sleeping beauty in playoffs as per usual only handing the opponents pucks.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Gregor thinks he’s getting 2.5 - 3M x 3 or 4. Seravalli destroyed him for that take. Give him 1.5. Where is a slow 28 year old rookie dman gonna go for more money when hes struggling on the bottom pair of a poorly defensive team. Sigh, no loilty from these slugs

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sick feeling about the game is even if we win, and I always say that we do lately, we're still behind a rock and a hard place. Being that we've already had Skinner hand the Nucks two games margin of error is now slim to nil. We have to Win 3/4 games now.

Lose and we're in deep trouble. Win and we're still in trouble. Unless we're playing Pickard. Then my confidence shoots up.

But the sicker feeling is judging from pressers today the team and Skinner are again veering to starting the dope for the 21st time in a row. With the Oilers press wanting this.

Even should Skinner bounceback tomorrow its still him in net and that sets the stage for further peril. Skinner plays one to two games in playoffs in a row well. Not more than that.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Gregor thinks he’s getting 2.5 - 3M x 3 or 4. Seravalli destroyed him for that take. Give him 1.5. Where is a slow 28 year old rookie dman gonna go for more money when hes struggling on the bottom pair of a poorly defensive team. Sigh, no loilty from these slugs
Gregor is Wetaskwin’s answer for Ron McLean. Someone with a pulpit that knows nothing. I love how Frank S consistently dunks on his idiotic takes. Frank probably blows him up once every pod episode. I actually suspect it’s a schtick. No one can be that uninformed and have a paid platform to spew it.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
What scares me about this series is the manner in which we're losing games and lack of response Vans physicality and gamesmanship. Losing game 1 after 3 goal lead deflated momentum and our best player is eating cross. Our toughest guy is getting dumped head first onto the bench and just smiling. There's no fight and desire. This teams gotta nut up and impose their will. Vans got the lead because they want it more.

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
What scares me about this series is the manner in which we're losing games and lack of response Vans physicality and gamesmanship. Losing game 1 after 3 goal lead deflated momentum and our best player is eating cross. Our toughest guy is getting dumped head first onto the bench and just smiling. There's no fight and desire. This teams gotta nut up and impose their will. Vans got the lead because they want it more.

I don't think the more physical teams are necessarily going to go the furthest. This team is scared of two things: 1) retaliating and taking a penalty (it's been proven that they will get slapped by the refs for that each year) 2) getting no saves from their goaltender

They can lose their cool next game and quickly be down 3-1 after they get wrecked with a million penalties

What they need to do is do what they did vs LA, which wasn't quite turning the cheek but it was picking spots, and pray Pickard isn't another Cloutier.

Reactions: TB12

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I don't think the more physical teams are necessarily going to go the furthest. This team is scared of two things: 1) retaliating and taking a penalty (it's been proven that they will get slapped by the refs for that each year) 2) getting no saves from their goaltender

They can lose their cool next game and quickly be down 3-1 after they get wrecked with a million penalties

What they need to do is do what they did vs LA, which wasn't quite turning the cheek but it was picking spots, and pray Pickard isn't another Cloutier.

Fair, I think a response needs to be measured, however I am not so sure the refs are going to pile on with calls if the Oilers return the physicality/gamesmanship next game. It's their M.O to manage games and series. I feel like after all the soft calls against Edmonton last game, i.e the Nurse crosscheck lol; it would only be predictable they let the Oilers get away with a little. That cross check to McDavid was disrespectful, there absolutely has to be an answer. No self respecting team with real aspiration at the cup will let that go unanswered and I think as dumb as the officials are, they understand that.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
Fair, I think a response needs to be measured, however I am not so sure the refs are going to pile on with calls if the Oilers return the physicality/gamesmanship next game. It's their M.O to manage games and series. I feel like after all the soft calls against Edmonton last game, i.e the Nurse crosscheck lol; it would only be predictable they let the Oilers get away with a little. That cross check to McDavid was disrespectful, there absolutely has to be an answer. No self respecting team with real aspiration at the cup will let that go unanswered and I think as dumb as the officials are, they understand that.

I have a feeling it will be some sort of lame staged fight or something. Which IMO doesn't mean a whole lot, but some will feel better about it

Kind of an excuse but I feel like Kane would deal with it (outside of a fight) but is playing injured. Otherwise maybe Carrick or Gagner (!) but neither will draw in. Desharnais and Nurse are both too soft at the moment. Ekholm could end up doing something, but he really, really shouldn't

Reactions: walktheboulavard

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
Lol it was the Oilers fault. They were too good so Skinner fell asleep

Which media guy said that anyhow? One of the funniest things I've heard. I mean, it does happen, but Skinner lets in goals when they're too good defensively and don't let any shots against, average, mediocre, and terrible

Obviously these are all entirely unfair to expect Skinner to be better :laugh:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
If anyone wants to get hammered next game, play the JT Miller drinking game. One shot for every dirty unpenalized crosscheck to the back. I lost count after 20 last night.

Reactions: TB12

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I have a feeling it will be some sort of lame staged fight or something. Which IMO doesn't mean a whole lot, but some will feel better about it

Kind of an excuse but I feel like Kane would deal with it (outside of a fight) but is playing injured. Otherwise maybe Carrick or Gagner (!) but neither will draw in. Desharnais and Nurse are both too soft at the moment. Ekholm could end up doing something, but he really, really shouldn't

Ekholm should definitely not entertain a fight, we can't lose him for any extended time given the state of the defense corp.

I don't mind staged fight in this circumstance, there's a purpose and message. You hit our best player/take liberties, there will be repercussion. Agreed it would be more effective if Kane was healthy and could inflict the damage in the flow of the game, but I think he has to take the fight and hope it sparks the rest of the team to light these little tuna fish up.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Gregor's take on Vinny's next contract wasn't necessarily about what he "should" get as an AAV, but what he "will" get because NHL GMs always overpay UFA Ds with size. Is Vinny so different from Justin Holl? Holl signed a $3.4M AAV x 3 years last summer when he was clearly a bottom pairing guy.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If you haven’t had a chance to listen to Servalli on Stauffer’s show today- I recommend you doing so. It was excellent. Great take on Skinner and Schwartz. I’m
Can you provide a quick summary, especially on Schwartz? I never have time to listen to these shows anymore.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
What pisses me off is the dumsht media, pushing for a Skinner start again in game 4. Just like last season, fans screaming for Campbell, pos media pushes for Skinner, of course the coach believes maybe thats what the fans believe too. These old media dipshts can kick rocks, bunch of turds that almost always represent the complete opposite of the fan's reactions and preferences

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Gregor's take on Vinny's next contract wasn't necessarily about what he "should" get as an AAV, but what he "will" get because NHL GMs always overpay UFA Ds with size. Is Vinny so different from Justin Holl? Holl signed a $3.4M AAV x 3 years last summer when he was clearly a bottom pairing guy.

Hard to say but D and G tend to get paid. A lot of back up goaltenders get 2+. Its not uncommon for bottom pairing dman to get 3+.

If they sign Desharnais, I do hope its for a high 1 or a low 2. I hope its short term as well. I don’t think you give players like him more than 2 years. It is kinda like the Kostin situation. Desharnais should take less on a team where he has a spot if he wants to try and carve out a career. You can’t blame him if he wants to chase money though. I just hope its not us, if he wants an overpay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad