News: Devils file for club-elected arbitration with Timo Meier

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I base it on the fact he's going to arbitration. When was the last time a team elected arbitration with a player who wants to sign an 8 year contract with them? Especially because in arbitration you need to argue the player is not worth what they're seeking - seems counterproductive to a long term contract.

Sorry, a maximum of 6 weeks - better?

You’re acting like setting an arbitration date means it’s 100% going to arbitration lol. Ohh no! A month and a half to negotiate! Whatever will they do!?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You’re acting like setting an arbitration date means it’s 100% going to arbitration lol. Ohh no! A month and a half to negotiate! Whatever will they do!?

No I'm not.

I'm saying the Devils purposely imposed an early deadline on a player they wanted to sign, whether they sign him or not. That is not the sign of a team who thinks they can sign a player.

Can they still sign him? Sure. However, they now lowered their window to sign him by more than half.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
No I'm not.

I'm saying the Devils purposely imposed an early deadline on a player they wanted to sign, whether they sign him or not. That is not the sign of a team who thinks they can sign a player.

Can they still sign him? Sure. However, they now lowered their window to sign him by more than half.

Lol, you’re just straight up making things up. I don’t think you understand how arbitration works, how many teams elect for it, and how many actually make it to arbitration.

Either way, I’m done responding. You’re like taking to a brick wall.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Lol, you’re just straight up making things up. I don’t think you understand how arbitration works, how many teams elect for it, and how many actually make it to arbitration.

Either way, I’m done responding. You’re like taking to a brick wall.

I don't think you realize how few times arbitration is elected by a team. They can only elect it once in a players career.

It'd be different if Meier elected it, but team-elected arbitration is not the same, especially among top players. A team rarely elects arbitration on elite players, especially ones they plan on re-signing. CBJ didn't do it to Laine after his poor season, they sucked it up and gave him his 7.5M QO.

Team-elected arbitration is not the same as player elected.

Who was the last elite player to go through team elected arbitration? Tkachuk when they were scared he was going to sign his QO and leave?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The issue you're ignoring is that if it does go to arbitration, and the Devils belittle his play to the point where the NHL arbitrator awards him the lowest possible amount - I doubt he signs in NJ.

The team basically argues that the player is not good enough to warrant his salary, and he doesn't deserve the money he wants. It's not good if you actually plan on signing the player.

Look at CBJ for example, they choose to qualify him instead of arbitrating him after his bad season - because they wanted to sign him long term in the future and not sour that relationship.
im not ignoring that. I am saying that Meier has lost some negotiating power with the QO is gone and that he isnt likely to want to go to arbitration because he only has money to lose in the process.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
anything above 8.5 AAV and NJ could be an interesting place for the Cap, because Mercer eats any gain next year brings unless it's a 10M+ cap increase.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
He won't get more than Jack...the team has been adamant this is their hierarchy. Personally he didn't perform the way I would've expected (especially in the playoffs) but I honestly can't imagine how he gets anything more than the Bratt deal.

Edit: Arbitration on a one year deal and punt the decision to next offseason might be the play here.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
He won't get more than Jack...the team has been adamant this is their hierarchy. Personally he didn't perform the way I would've expected (especially in the playoffs) but I honestly can't imagine how he gets anything more than the Bratt deal.

Edit: Arbitration on a one year deal and punt the decision to next offseason might be the play here.

He's a ufa next year. They aren't going to punt until next season

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022

Hamilton makes more than Jack, though.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland

Yeah, this rumour has shot down many times.

Meier probably gets a 8x8.5M deal.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
This one feels like it could be a contract to really mess up the team. If he gets 9M+ not only would that piss off other players who took less, there is no guarantee he is a 9M player there with what he showed.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Players file with arbitration with teams they sign long term with all the time. Timo likely would have filed for arbitration with us if he had been able, but we were the ones who had to make the call. It’s procedural.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
No I'm not.

No, if they offer him a qualifying offer and he accepts, they have to give him 10 million next season, and then work out a trade for the following 8 years or whatever is negotiated. If they bring him to arbitration and sign him prior to the awarded salary, they bought themselves more time. Do you think Timo was going to reject the 1 year qualifying offer of 10 million?

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
This one feels like it could be a contract to really mess up the team. If he gets 9M+ not only would that piss off other players who took less, there is no guarantee he is a 9M player there with what he showed.
I don't think the players care so much as folks like Mercer, Schmid, Luke Hughes, and Nemec will have very little money available to them when their contracts are ready to be negotiated.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
No, if they offer him a qualifying offer and he accepts, they have to give him 10 million next season, and then work out a trade for the following 8 years or whatever is negotiated. If they bring him to arbitration and sign him prior to the awarded cap, they bought themselves more time. Do you think Timo was going to reject the 1 year qualifying offer?

That's my point though.

The Devils fans here are arguing that Meier and NJ both want to sign for 8 years and do not want a 1 year deal - so why are you scared of qualifying him then?

How can you argue that and at the same time, worry that he would sign his qualifying offer.

I don't personally believe that Meier was going to reject his qualifying offer, because I do not believe he has settled on 8 years in NJ.

However, if I did believe him and the team are rumoured to both want an 8 year extension, as some Devils fan suggest, then filing for arbitration makes no sense. It's counterproductive to your goal.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
That's my point though.

The Devils fans here are arguing that Meier and NJ both want to sign for 8 years and do not want a 1 year deal - so why are you scared of qualifying him then?

How can you argue that and at the same time, worry that he would sign his qualifying offer.

I don't personally believe that Meier was going to reject his qualifying offer, because I do not believe he has settled on 8 years in NJ.

However, if I did believe him and the team are rumoured to both want an 8 year extension, as some Devils fan suggest, then filing for arbitration makes no sense. It's counterproductive to your goal.
I think they're arguing 2 different things though. I think fans believe Timo wants a long term deal, not a 1 year deal, and would rather negotiate a contract. However, if a contract can't be agreed upon, Timo will likely take the 1 year, 10 million guarantee. It's the organization covering themselves.

Reactions: Forge and eojsmada

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I came here to read on the Meier situation and it's pages of Marino taking heat. You'd think Marino is Granlund level bad from the thread here.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I think they're arguing 2 different things though. I think fans believe Timo wants a long term deal, not a 1 year deal, and would rather negotiate a contract. However, if a contract can't be agreed upon, Timo will likely take the 1 year, 10 million guarantee. It's the organization covering themselves.

I don't think the maximum difference of 1.5M over 1 year is as significant as people here think it is. That's the price of a 4th liner.

They're protecting themselves to a maximum of 1.5M for 1 year. It's also possible he's awarded more than 8.5M - making the savings even less.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't think the maximum difference of 1.5M over 1 year is as significant as people here think it is. That's the price of a 4th liner.

They're protecting themselves to a maximum of 1.5M for 1 year. It's also possible he's awarded more than 8.5M - making the savings even less.
It's not the money. It's the contract itself. An accepted qualify is giving Timo a 1 year contract. Trying to buy time with an arbitration isn't about the 1.5, it's about gaining more negotiation time.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Can you qualify someone after electing arbitration? I'm honestly not sure

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Yeah, I'm not buying the he wants an 8 year deal all of a sudden.

If he wanted an 8 year deal, the Devils wouldn't file for arbitration. Filing for arbitration basically gives you an early deadline - once the arbitrator announces his decision - you can no longer negotiate with that player other than to accept or decline the amount.

If you're scared he's going to accept his qualifying offer, then he doesn't want an 8 year deal in the first place.

I'm sure the Devils want an 8 year deal, and Meier will oblige if he get's paid enough - but not buying he wants to be there for 8 years.
This is some terrible logic
That's my point though.

However, if I did believe him and the team are rumoured to both want an 8 year extension, as some Devils fan suggest, then filing for arbitration makes no sense. It's counterproductive to your goal
My man you need to look up leverage concepts

Reactions: glenwo2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad