Rumor: Devils interested in John Gibson

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Honestly, I try not to think like that about it. The devils are interested, understand the interest.

I don't think 50% for three years is likely to happen so it's hard for me to wrap me brain around it or really go too far down the l that rabbit hole.

What I can say is that I feel reasonably confident that if the devils acquire Gibson, I'm going to be okay with what they give up. I don't really see a realistic (to me) scenario where I'm apoplectic about a return on Gibson
A bunch of Holtz, 1st and Vitek talk at least from some of the sites I'm watching.
The latter 2, sure. Holtz nah, and Futz won't give up Casey.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Is Gibson going to fix the lousy defensive system and impart two years of experience to Luke Hughes Simon Nemec and Kevin Bahl?
This is why I have a problem with this. Our fans all were glad to see Sevs go. I wish we had one more contract year of him. And until very recently the rookie D (other than Bahl) were bailing out the vets. That has switched now but it out us in a hole.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
This is why I have a problem with this. Our fans all were glad to see Sevs go. I wish we had one more contract year of him. And until very recently the rookie D (other than Bahl) were bailing out the vets. That has switched now but it out us in a hole.

Lots of Devils fans would have liked another year of Severson but that wasn’t a choice in this reality. Would you have wanted Fitz to keep Severson with a new 8 year deal? That’s the only way he would still be in NJ.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Every year for at least the last 5yrs, I've thought they should trade Gibson for a nice haul. They never do it, despite Gibson doing pretty much nothing for their rebuild. It's always been a little strange to me, as Anaheim is pretty solid at drafting, and a 1st+ could have developed and aligned with their rebuild in a much better way than a 30yr old Gibson will moving forward.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
A bunch of Holtz, 1st and Vitek talk at least from some of the sites I'm watching.
The latter 2, sure. Holtz nah, and Futz won't give up Casey.
Crazy talk even the first is crazy to give up for him....Our cupboard of talent will become empty in no time by dealing away futures and picks....The Meier trade should be the rarity not the norm

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Gibson is taking off tonight's game to be there for the birth of his child. Make sure it doesn't factor in to the "always injured formula" please. Only one person apparently can calculate that with the outcome he's " always injured" while playing in the top 5 most games played.

Why is Gibson's wife always having babies? He leads the league in games missed due to birthing. Way too risky to trade for that guy unless you're running a fertility clinic! Even then, Ducks must agree to at least 9 months of retention.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Lots of Devils fans would have liked another year of Severson but that wasn’t a choice in this reality. Would you have wanted Fitz to keep Severson with a new 8 year deal? That’s the only way he would still be in NJ.
No I never said that, I said wish we had an extra year of his contract, nothing more. I did say/continue to say that all the dumb responses on Severson play last year was not paying attention to the part of his game where he is contributing mightily! Wonder where all those posters went to?

Reactions: MakoSlade

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
No I never said that, I said wish we had an extra year of his contract, nothing more. I did say/continue to say that all the dumb responses on Severson play last year was not paying attention to the part of his game where he is contributing mightily! Wonder where all those posters went to?

Sure, but I see it differently.

I knew 1) we couldn’t Severson or Graves longterm and 2) we would likely take a step back in the short-term at defense going with youth & only Miller as a replacement.

It’s pointless to think about players that aren’t here and that we didn’t even want our GM to keep. I don’t care if people were more optimistic about our young defense and/or disliked Graves and Severson.

And almost every Devils fan would’ve taken Severson at 1 year/4.166m, even most of his critics (except the dumb ones). On the other hand, Toffoli is pretty damn helpful and we wouldn’t have been able to afford him if Severson had another season.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
If you watched the game tonight the only conclusion you could possibly come to is the devils should be standing right next to Ducks at the sellers table when the deadline comes.

Makes zero sense to trade for a goalie or any roster upgrade right now.
Lol relax, they have played their worst games recently against the Sharks, Blue Jackets, and Ducks for some reason

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

I knew 1) we couldn’t Severson or Graves longterm and 2) we would likely take a step back in the short-term at defense going with youth & only Miller as a replacement.

It’s pointless to think about players that aren’t here and that we didn’t even want our GM to keep. I don’t care if people were more optimistic about our young defense and/or disliked Graves and Severson.

And almost every Devils fan would’ve taken Severson at 1 year/4.166m, even most of his critics (except the dumb ones). On the other hand, Toffoli is pretty damn helpful and we wouldn’t have been able to afford him if Severson had another season.
We see it exactly the same

Reactions: Guttersniped

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Why is Gibson's wife always having babies? He leads the league in games missed due to birthing. Way too risky to trade for that guy unless you're running a fertility clinic! Even then, Ducks must agree to at least 9 months of retention.

Hilarious. Nicely done.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Jacob Markstrom would be a much better target for NJ. Go big or go home.
I might have to disagree on that. Markstrom is not as durable as Gibson, plus Gibson is 3 years younger(30 vs 33). Markstrom/Gibson's playoff numbers are just about a wash, except Markstrom's playoff appearances have been more recent while Gibson's was 6 years ago. For either goalie, even if Vanecek's $3.4 million goes the other way, their cap hit on their remaining contracts would have to retained unless the Devils trade away a sizable players contract.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Lol relax, they have played their worst games recently against the Sharks, Blue Jackets, and Ducks for some reason

Awful losses against teams that should not be close. True contenders do not drop turds like that on a regular basis.

There is no questioning the talent on the team, but there is something deeply wrong under the hood, and it’s not just the goaltending.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Goalies do not get you a first round pick in trades
If you are trading straight up. If 50% max salary retained then a 1st round pick is an absolute return in the trade and if it's less like 25% salary retained, it will cost a 2nd. I could see possibly two 2nd's(one 2nd to retain salary and another 2nd for Gibson being a #1 caliber goalie) + Vanecek($3.4 million cap hit) going at best for Gibson. Basically a similar return to what the Avs gave the Coyotes for Darcy Kuemper(or maybe a slightly better return).

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Would be a lot more excited if they were talking about former Harvard goalie Mitchell Gibson in the Capitals' system.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
One of the worst goalie contracts in the NHL. His value should be equal to Matt Murray or Jack Campbell, but you know some GMs will actually pay assets for this guy, because he was a good goalie 5 years ago.

• Haha
Reactions: Daz28

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad