Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'll say it one more time...Our top 3 forwards have all finished top 10 in Lady Byng votes ....That just about sums up the issue

Reactions: Palates

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I think its fair to point out that with the discussion on what players you need for the playoffs, the Devils actually did win in their one playoff appearance. Beat a much more experienced, playoff tested team in the Rangers.

The Devils' bigger problem so far has been making it into the playoffs.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think its fair to point out that with the discussion on what players you need for the playoffs, the Devils actually did win in their one playoff appearance. Beat a much more experienced, playoff tested team in the Rangers.

The Devils' bigger problem so far has been making it into the playoffs.
This is fair too…before we worry about ‘being built for the playoffs’ let’s at least start consistently making the playoffs first

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If you want to criticize the defense for being soft (which I don't), criticize Luke and Nemec.

Hits/60 by Devils D in 2024 (min 20 games)

1. Colin Miller - 7.26
2. Brendan Smith - 6.92
3. Kevin Bahl - 6.35
4. Jonas Sigenthaler - 4.73
5. Dougie Hamilton - 2.57
6. John Marino - 1.48
7. Simon Nemec - 1.10
8. Luke Hughes - 0.81

Luke specifically had the 5th worst hits/60 out of 252 qualifying NHL defensemen this year. Nemec was 14th worst.

Defensemen more physical than Luke and Nemec include Shayne Gostisbehere, Tyson Barrie, Erik Karlsson, Justin Schultz, Cale Makar, and Jake Bean.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'll say it one more time...Our top 3 forwards have all finished top 10 in Lady Byng votes ....That just about sums up the issue

Anze Kopitar won that award last year. Noted "soft" player.

Slavin has been in the top 5 the past few years, including a win. Another noted "soft" player.

MacKinnon won it a few years ago. Noted "soft" player.

You are making a fool of yourself.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If you want to criticize the defense for being soft (which I don't), criticize Luke and Nemec.

Hits/60 by Devils D in 2024 (min 20 games)

1. Colin Miller - 7.26
2. Brendan Smith - 6.92
3. Kevin Bahl - 6.35
4. Jonas Sigenthaler - 4.73
5. Dougie Hamilton - 2.57
6. John Marino - 1.48
7. Simon Nemec - 1.10
8. Luke Hughes - 0.81

Luke specifically had the 5th worst hits/60 out of 252 qualifying NHL defensemen this year. Nemec was 14th worst.

Defensemen more physical than Luke and Nemec include Shayne Gostisbehere, Tyson Barrie, Erik Karlsson, Justin Schultz, Cale Makar, and Jake Bean.
I don't have any hard data or evidence but just from years of watching I'm pretty sure that's indictive of rookies in general.

I'm sure it'll ramp up in the next couple of years.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Anze Kopitar won that award last year. Noted "soft" player.

Slavin has been in the top 5 the past few years, including a win. Another noted "soft" player.

MacKinnon won it a few years ago. Noted "soft" player.

You are making a fool of yourself.
I do think it’s a team issue not so much an individual issue. Most top scorers aren’t big hitters or particularly physical. But as noted they get complemented by more guys that are physical. That’s what NJ will have to try to do. I don’t think that’s controversial

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I do think it’s a team issue not so much an individual issue. Most top scorers aren’t big hitters or particularly physical. But as noted they get complemented by more guys that are physical. That’s what NJ will have to try to do. I don’t think that’s controversial
Meier was a step in the right direction. I think we need two more players for the top 6.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Toronto should have sold Marner off when he demanded so much, just to send a message to the rest of the team. They would have gotten a haul of decent players too.
They dont need to sold Marner. Marner is a great player. They need to find better complimentary players. I like Keefe but its time to change to voice. Overall their stucked with their management but they will not win Stanley Cup if they will sold Marner. They will not find better player for the same role.

Reactions: My3Sons

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Nonsense. Hischier takes a beating and delivers nothing in return to anyone ever. ...you can object to the word "soft"....you can come up with a new word if you like for a player that takes all the abuse and gives none in return.

How about Beta?
Cool, so when Nico gets injured trying to play physically we can all rest easy that our best center is on the shelf because he needed to show people he wouldn't be pushed around.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Cool, so when Nico gets injured trying to play physically we can all rest easy that our best center is on the shelf because he needed to show people he wouldn't be pushed around.
He wouldn’t be likely to be injured hitting guys with his stick more often. Look at his injuries along the way and they are generally flukes or cheap shots. I don’t think he’s ever been hurt in the general run of play?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
“Jack Hughes and Jesper Bratt are soft” is so funny. Okay. Get someone with the millions and millions of dollars they represent in surplus value that isn’t soft. They’re two of the best players in the NHL and make every single team in the NHL much better. Every single one.
Jason Robertson....Brady?

I'm not saying get them.... I'm saying that they are on similar contracts to Bratt and Nico, are tougher and produce well.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
They dont need to sold Marner. Marner is a great player. They need to find better complimentary players. I like Keefe but its time to change to voice. Overall their stucked with their management but they will not win Stanley Cup if they will sold Marner. They will not find better player for the same role.
No doubt he's a great player, but selling him off would have returned some good complimentary players and gotten them out of cap he'll. I think he asked for too much

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
No doubt he's a great player, but selling him off would have returned some good complimentary players and gotten them out of cap he'll. I think he asked for too much
They need him. Without top players there are no real contending. I think from the cap perspective and from the impact perspective they should think about Tavares. ANd of course they should think about better management. Often they are trying to play with to many "skilled" players and when they are understanding they are soft they are trying to add more "heavy" players. And in that time they are losing because of lack of skill. But Players should be competent to play 200 foot game. Not McDermids or Gusevs(I'm exaggerating).

Reactions: Nubmer6

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Robertson is not tougher.
Every time I've seen Robertson he's around the net. Granted I don't watch Dallas much but I caught a few games last year and this year and he seems to be always be between the hash marks and around the net....our players like the perimeter.

I don't know what you're definition of tough is but it seems different from mine.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Every time I've seen Robertson he's around the net. Granted I don't watch Dallas much but I caught a few games last year and this year and he seems to be always be between the hash marks and around the net....our players like the perimeter.

I don't know what you're definition of tough is but it seems different from mine.
Your definition of tough seems to be whatever fits your current narrative.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nico soft? hes no fighter and not a hitter, but soft? no. he never shys away from hits or digging hes as gritty as they come, try and hit him cycling along the boards and hell make you look like a fool most times
Not a hitter, not a fighter, not someone who really goes into the dirty areas around the net with any frequency, never a guy to get into scrum protecting his goalie.....he does take a beating pretty good...so in some sort of masochistic way I guess that's a level of toughness :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad