Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Imagine if the Devils had Stankoven in the top 6 next to Meier/Nico or Zellweger on the blue line, Stillman will always be ridiculed for that reason alone by this fanbase. Fitz tried finding a Blake Coleman and whiffed tremendously. It also sucked that the Islanders beat the Bruins/Pens in 2021, that pick should've realistically been around the Wallstedt range
stillman ain't no connor chatham tho. always think of him when i see brayden point

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
stillman ain't no connor chatham tho. always think of him when i see brayden point
You know, Chatham wasn't really that much of a reach of a pick based on some pre-draft rankings.

2014 NHL Draft Profile #54: Connor Chatham
NHL Draft Profile: Connor Chatham

"Chatham's ceiling as a player is fairly low, as it's unlikely he develops the offensive ability to become a 30-goal scorer, but he's also a fairly low risk pick. He's not going to get smaller or slower. He'll be a solid third or fourth liner that plays heavy hockey every night, and any offensive production beyond that is gravy."

"Chatham missed the cut-off to be in the 2013 NHL Draft by about six weeks, and that extra year seemed to be a blessing for him. Chatham moved from Omaha of the USHL to play for Plymouth of the OHL, and his stock really rose from a mid-to-late round pick to start the year, to a player expected to go in the first two or three rounds of the draft."

I always viewed is typical late-Lou-era draft incompetency, but I guess I see he was taken right where he was supposed to be?

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
You know, Chatham wasn't really that much of a reach of a pick based on some pre-draft rankings.

2014 NHL Draft Profile #54: Connor Chatham
NHL Draft Profile: Connor Chatham

"Chatham's ceiling as a player is fairly low, as it's unlikely he develops the offensive ability to become a 30-goal scorer, but he's also a fairly low risk pick. He's not going to get smaller or slower. He'll be a solid third or fourth liner that plays heavy hockey every night, and any offensive production beyond that is gravy."

"Chatham missed the cut-off to be in the 2013 NHL Draft by about six weeks, and that extra year seemed to be a blessing for him. Chatham moved from Omaha of the USHL to play for Plymouth of the OHL, and his stock really rose from a mid-to-late round pick to start the year, to a player expected to go in the first two or three rounds of the draft."

I always viewed is typical late-Lou-era draft incompetency, but I guess I see he was taken right where he was supposed to be?
Still not an excuse because Point's consensus ranking was generally the late 1st round. I'm not up for looking for my 10-year old draft notebooks, but I'm pretty sure I had Point in the 20-25 range. I love Lamoriello, but that just a really poor pick.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
23-24 Devils were so bad they lost a championship
IMG_5877.jpeg

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

Not all that different tbh...

The Stillman critics would be wise to keep in mind that the 2021 Pandemic Draft was very difficult and there were risks selecting an OHLer whose entire OHL season had been cancelled.

I don't think there's any reason to defend the pick. It was a terrible pick, period.

Still not an excuse because Point's consensus ranking was generally the late 1st round. I'm not up for looking for my 10-year old draft notebooks, but I'm pretty sure I had Point in the 20-25 range. I love Lamoriello, but that just a really poor pick.

So was the Stillman pick /shrug

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Jack Roslovic looks like he would fit well here and he is having a solid postseason. Shouldn’t cost much

Edit: Just seeing the Haula discussion. No, we need guys like that. And add guys like a Roslovic for 3C/4C duties
He can really scoot. Definitely would help in the speed department but I think he’s more of a wing and doesn’t have the defensive chops/grit that Fitz will be hunting for. He’s looked good on the Rangers though.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Jack Roslovic looks like he would fit well here and he is having a solid postseason. Shouldn’t cost much

Edit: Just seeing the Haula discussion. No, we need guys like that. And add guys like a Roslovic for 3C/4C duties

You just don't want to dump Haula because losing him would cut your meme potential in half. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I think we would move out Siegenthaler or Marino to make room for a goalie if needed, rather than jettisoning Haula. With Hamilton returning, Luke and Nemec stepping up, and another year of experience for Bahl, we should be ok on defense.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

We have enough forwards that don't throw hits, I'd pass.

We need physical players that can cycle and play in the corners.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We have enough forwards that don't throw hits, I'd pass.

We need physical players that can cycle and play in the corners.
True but they also need to get back to being a faster team and at least in these playoffs Roslovic looks competitive and fast. You can add more than one player to the team and address multiple needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad