Did the NHL intentionally make up for the goalie interference call in the Florida-Boston series?

Did they?

• Total voters

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Bennett is a no goal 100% of the time, they just blew that

On the regular season, McAvoy's would be a coin flip, admittedly I could see it go either way. I think given the scrutiny of playoff hockey and threshold for overturning a goal, in a vacuum that'd stand 70% of the time. In context of what happened the game before, they weren't going to take the goal off the board (not a deliberate makeup call but more subconsciously wanting to avoid the wrath of shafting a team and fanbase that is already furious).

The saddest thing was when ESPN brought Dave Jackson in as an "expert" and he started to say it was clearly a goal until Callahan mentioned Heinen's stick touched Bob and then he switched to "clearly no goal", like this guy gets convinced by the slightest argument and he was a supervisor in charge of officiating?

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
I don't think making up for a previous call had anything to do with it. Last night it was clearly the right call.

The good thing about this series is that the deserving team has won all 5 games. All the talk about reffing and Toronto is a bit much. Bad calls and no calls happen every series and typically even out.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Bennett is a no goal 100% of the time, they just blew that

On the regular season, McAvoy's would be a coin flip, admittedly I could see it go either way. I think given the scrutiny of playoff hockey and threshold for overturning a goal, in a vacuum that'd stand 70% of the time. In context of what happened the game before, they weren't going to take the goal off the board (not a deliberate makeup call but more subconsciously wanting to avoid the wrath of shafting a team and fanbase that is already furious).

The saddest thing was when ESPN brought Dave Jackson in as an "expert" and he started to say it was clearly a goal until Callahan mentioned Heinen's stick touched Bob and then he switched to "clearly no goal", like this guy gets convinced by the slightest argument and he was a supervisor in charge of officiating?
That was embarrassing.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You could maybe argue that Bobrovsky had a chance to set up for the shot after he was bumped by Heinen. On the other hand, Bennett’s goal was pure BS IMO. I don’t understand for the life of me how that counted.

Yeah I thought the goal yesterday was basically just about if you thought that was *enough* of a reset and at how many milliseconds of him being reset is enough of a reset. The fact that OEL (on his own) was interfering as well made it more complicated to parse through. You could have homer glasses on in either direction and not be *wrong*. Just gray area shit. But goals are better than no goals.

It could have gone either way, and I think that the humans involved in making the choice are humans and it being weighted to Boston's favor, purposeful or not, wouldn't be crazy given the fallout of their choice on the Bennett goal which was really really really questionable.

Last edited:
Reactions: phrenssoa

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
One is a lot different than the other imo

Panthers are selling everything tho.
Dropping sticks, throwing heads back, taking their own legs out from under them…

Surprised the refs didn’t blow the play dead again to see if Bob was ok after dropping his stick
For real. Such a joke that was. If it were in Boston's end not only would play continue but FL could just drop a player on the B's goalie and prevent him from being able to move at all and score a goal and will be counted as a good goal.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
If that's the rule, that's stupid. OEL has a right to be there, and Heinen doesn't. Crashing/slipping boxouts towards goalies... I don't like it. I guess the only alternative is to pound forwards who do it.
A forward doesn't have the right to stand in front of the goalie at the top of the crease???

Do you need a second crease outside of the main crease?

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021

Nice.

This video ends the story on the Bennett goal. Strange how the same people or same organisation comes out with two different response/outcome to two very very similar play - Bennett goal versus Maroon goal.

That is what I dislike.
If we search on the Macavoy goal, we will probably find similar situation.

Vilam

#Catlantic
Feb 8, 2012
San Francisco
Pretty obviously yes. As a Panthers fan, I'm fine with it. They're tone policing the series and the fans.

The game 4 call was correct, the game 5 call was incorrect, but not egregiously do. It's OK.

• Haha
Reactions: TD Charlie

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
Theres no makeups, thats just dumb, would only mean that more mistakes are made.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Bob seems to like making contact with opposing players bringing himself out of position to make a save.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
Hard to say but I certainly can see the argument. Bob discards his stick when he feels resistance from Ekblad, likely thinking it was Hienen.

There was some contact with Hienen, but Bob Seems to have been able to reset himself and just gets beat.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Where's the option for right call the first goal, wrong call the 2nd goal?

This would be the most incorrect and unlikely option of all scenarios.

The first goal was as obvious as it gets as goalie interference. Former players and officials have addressed it.

The second goal was the more typical 50-50 goalie interference where absolutely no one has any idea, and each call could be debated correctly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad