Domi appreciation thread (is there one?)

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Domi is build for this big market esp in TO.
He got the mental fortitude and knows what to say, then he backs them up with his play on the ice.
He just needs to shoot more when he has the chance instead of trying to set guys up.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Regardless of the outcome of game 7, I think it's pretty clear that the Leafs need to make Max Domi part of the core.

The way he's elevated his game in the absence of Matthews. The chances he's created. The grit & drive he's displayed, plus the versatility, I think Treliving would be a fool to not figure out a way to bring him back.

If the Leafs want to go deep -- it can't be "Domi this year, ROR last year, constantly changing cycle of grit additions", they've gotta make some of these guys long term fixtures.

The guy is 29 years old. He's a solid fit alongside Auston Matthews for less than half of what Mitch Marner costs; and hasn't crumbled under the pressure of being a Leaf fan playing for Toronto.

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 9.58.35 PM.png

Domi's 2 goals on Swayman gave Boston their first elimination game loss in the current streak.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I like Domi and 8 million dollar dman package , better than Marner @ 12 million.
Marner is the 2nd RW behind Willy.

To me that makes him the likely odd man out.

He’ll need to wave his NMC to even end up with the same AAV.

Reactions: arso40

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Regardless of the outcome of game 7, I think it's pretty clear that the Leafs need to make Max Domi part of the core.

The way he's elevated his game in the absence of Matthews. The chances he's created. The grit & drive he's displayed, plus the versatility, I think Treliving would be a fool to not figure out a way to bring him back.

If the Leafs want to go deep -- it can't be "Domi this year, ROR last year, constantly changing cycle of grit additions", they've gotta make some of these guys long term fixtures.

The guy is 29 years old. He's a solid fit alongside Auston Matthews for less than half of what Mitch Marner costs; and hasn't crumbled under the pressure of being a Leaf fan playing for Toronto.

He looks like he loves playing here, can get chippy and can play centre.

A priority extension for me

Reactions: leafsfan5

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Domi has some quick hands. If he tried to be more aggressive puckhandling and deking instead of zipping a pass asap, maybe he'll score more.

He's got an odd combination of some skill, passing and grit pissing off opposing players. But doesnt like to shoot and score.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Id offer Domi 3 yrs @3.5 million per. 10.5 million total.
First year, 5.5 million signing bonus, 1 million salary
Second and Third year, 2 million salary.

He might take that deal if front loaded. They can not pay Domi more than 4 million per. 3.5-4 is where he should be.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I sincerely hope the Leafs bring Domi back.

He's an ideal fit to play with Matthews for less than half the cost of Mitch Marner. He has the versatility to play Centre, and he 100% gives a ####.

To me, the number is probably $4m....

I think the only question should be, if you're Max Domi, who's 29 years old, are you lookign for your "last" big contract? or are hoping to build your value from a guy who's bounced around like crazy, in hopes of a bigger payday down the road.

Lets say you do a 3-year deal, and over the next 3 years the cap jumps another $10-12m, and you're putting up 65-70 points a season with the Leafs playing alongside Auston Matthews. At 32 years old, is somebody, maybe the Leafs, going to turn around and offer you 3 years at $5m+? Probably.

On the flip side, lets say you sign that same 3 year deal, and things don't go exactly as planned... injuries start to pile up, and you're banging away 30-40 points a year.... that next contract is probably going to be in the $2-3m range at best.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
He was still so fast in Game 7, especially compared to everyone else around him.

You can tell he's an great shape and has a great motor.

He's tough and built for the market, he wants to be here from everything I heard and read.

He is a pretty damn good playmaker and stick-handler and sometimes shows signs of being a legitimate first line player. He has his warts like defense and the occasionally stupidity, but given his talent level and his toughness I'm willing to take those warts given he's probably only asking 3.5-4m per.

Bring him back and put him on a line with Matthews and Knies and let him cook. I suspect he'll put up more goals next year.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think it's a near-guarantee that Domi is resigned. He has his flaws, but he is a good fit in a lot of ways here.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
The best part about Domi isn't the faceoffs or passing. If you piss him off he's liable to drop the gloves and lay an absolute whipping on your ass. That's invaluable to have in your top 6. Resign him if it's reasonable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad