Management Don Sweeney

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Is it not Sweeney fault that the Bruins had no cap?

I've asked this 6 times today to everyone who brings that up and not one person responded back with yes he's responsible for the construction of the team or no (insert why)

Well, as musicians say, "Count me in."

Sweeney has undeniably improved as a manager, especially recently. Many NHL clubs would be happy to have him.

Nonetheless, if you ask why David Krejci had no one to play with for YEARS;

Why the Boston Bruins failed to prepare for the departure of franchise centers #37 & #46 when everyone and their brother understood the need to do so for YEARS;

Why Zdeno Chara was shown the door when a certain Smartest Guy in the Room decided he was through, and anyway, he could be replaced by a "youth movement" on the blueline that never materialized;

Why the once feared BBB who boasted half a roster that was ready, willing and able to stand up for one another and throw their weight around in swaggering, intimidating fashion rapidly became a collection of Soft As Charmin (TM) mice after Peter Chiarelli was handed his walking papers by the team "president."

Why the Boston Bruins have repeatedly failed to advance beyond the first, never mind second, round of the playoffs in the nine plus years since;

And why, finally, the Bruins have, season after futile season, robbed Peter (high draft selections) to pay Paul (insert acquisition here) in service of avoiding the dreaded retool (not rebuild) which may have been accomplished with reasonable success given the "elite window" Boston occupied for at least the first three to five years after Chiarelli's departure.

Save beginner's incompetence -- and arrogance -- as well as fear of incurring the old man's wrath minus playoff revenue, there is no earthly reason why the Boston Bruins could not have built upon the foundation created by Peter Chiarelli, Claude Julien, Zdeno Chara, and Patrice Bergeron.

Why?

Don Sweeney and Cam Neely.

That's why.

Last edited:

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
It’s not a great free agent pool really
Free agent pool isn't great, so in order to contend they would need to use the trade route. But, the real thing they should have done this year was blow it up and rebuild. The problem is that the Jacobs Doctorine regarding not rebuilding and needing as many home playoff gates as possible. It really hurts this team long term and it also hurt the team when Harry was the GM in the 90s.

Reactions: BMC and GordonHowe

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
Another early playoff exit due to the same yearly problems not being dealt with. He has known for years the center position needed to be addressed since Bergeron and Krejci had both been in steady decline for 7-8 years. Nothing done there.

The team has gotten progressively softer since the day he took over. He places absolutely no value on toughness and this is how things end once again.

Time to have someone else calling the shots. I wish Brian Burke was less than 95 years old. I would bring him in in a heartbeat.

“A fish rots from the head” It’s time to get rid of the rot.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
And funny enough you go to the Monty thread and lots of people will put blame on him.

Let me ask you this question. What were your expectations going into last offseason? How bout going into the regular season? Were they exceeded?

What he does with the extra money this season will be huge. If he wastes it on guys at the level of Forbort and Reilly (outside of 1 year conteacts) again I will have zero faith in him going forward.
In a vacuum this season is fine. It’s about what happens going forward. The weird thing I see is people genuinely shocked that some fans don’t feel getting past round 2 only once in nine years is a bang up job. Again to each their own and I feel he’s had the teams in place to do more damage and the players underachieved over the years but I certainly can see the angst the other way.

Honestly no matter how this team did during the regular season was going to change the fact that they weren’t talented enough to do any real damage. It took them seven games to win a series in which Swayman only gave up 9 goals in 6 games or whatever

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Another early playoff exit due to the same yearly problems not being dealt with. He has known for years the center position needed to be addressed since Bergeron and Krejci had both been in steady decline for 7-8 years. Nothing done there.

The team has gotten progressively softer since the day he took over. He places absolutely no value on toughness and this is how things end once again.

Time to have someone else calling the shots. I wish Brian Burke was less than 95 years old. I would bring him in in a heartbeat.

sorry, Bergeron was in "steady decline"? Krejci too? I`ll respectfully disagree

I`ll agree about the team getting super soft, said it myself often and if they move on from DS, I`m ok with it

I`ll ask you this question though about succession plans and not having anyone waiting in the wing for a sure fire first ballot HOF`er in Bergeron and a possible HOF`er in DK and I`d like a response if you don`t mind

Who are the succession plans for these teams and players?

Pittsburgh for Crosby and Malkin
Washington for OVI

I mention those three simply as they are a little grey up top, you think either team has a viable succession plan for when those guys retire?

I`ll guarantee they won`t and don`t and how could they? There is rarely a time where I have seen a team lose players of the calibre of a Bergy/DK who had a viable plan in place, can`t replace HOF`ers with HOF`ers IMO

If you don`t like DS`s acquisitions/draft picks, softness of the team and want to move on, no problemo, but tell me what team has a well thought out succession plan in place when they lose at least one Hall of Famer and possibly two?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Yes. I am not a betting man, but I would bet my life that Don Sweeney isn't going anywhere.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Yes. I am not a betting man, but I would bet my life that Don Sweeney isn't going anywhere.
He’s not. The biggest issue I have, is with the center position. All the rest of people’s complaints, other GM’s go through the same thing. He should’ve gone after a center when Krejci left.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I think it's pretty safe to say that Sweeney will be here as long as Neely is. Unless ownership outright comes to him and says fire him or look for a new job Neely won't do it.

Babajingo

sorry, Bergeron was in "steady decline"? Krejci too? I`ll respectfully disagree

I`ll agree about the team getting super soft, said it myself often and if they move on from DS, I`m ok with it

I`ll ask you this question though about succession plans and not having anyone waiting in the wing for a sure fire first ballot HOF`er in Bergeron and a possible HOF`er in DK and I`d like a response if you don`t mind

Who are the succession plans for these teams and players?

Pittsburgh for Crosby and Malkin
Washington for OVI

I mention those three simply as they are a little grey up top, you think either team has a viable succession plan for when those guys retire?

I`ll guarantee they won`t and don`t and how could they? There is rarely a time where I have seen a team lose players of the calibre of a Bergy/DK who had a viable plan in place, can`t replace HOF`ers with HOF`ers IMO

If you don`t like DS`s acquisitions/draft picks, softness of the team and want to move on, no problemo, but tell me what team has a well thought out succession plan in place when they lose at least one Hall of Famer and possibly two?
I think PIT and WAS succession plan is to rebuild. Not to keep treading water.

They be passing by the B's in 5 years. With some high draft picks and a good base.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Well, as musicians say, "Count me in."

Sweeney has undeniably improved as a manager, especially recently. Many NHL clubs would be happy to have him.

Nonetheless, if you ask why David Krejci had no one to play with for YEARS;

Why the Boston Bruins failed to prepare for the departure of franchise centers #37 & #46 when everyone and their brother understood the need to do so for YEARS;

Why Zdeno Chara was shown the door when a certain Smartest Guy in the Room decided he was through, and anyway, he could be replaced by a "youth movement" on the blueline that never materialized;

Why the once feared BBB who boasted half a roster that was ready, willing and able to stand up for one another and throw their weight around in swaggering, intimidating fashion rapidly became a collection of Soft As Charmin (TM) mice after Peter Chiarelli was handed his walking papers by the team "president."

Why the Boston Bruins have repeatedly failed to advance beyond the first, never mind second, round of the playoffs in the nine plus years since;

And why, finally, the Bruins have, season after futile season, robbed Peter (high draft selections) to pay Paul (insert acquisition here) in service of avoiding the dreaded retool (not rebuild) which may have been accomplished with reasonable success given the "elite window" Boston occupied for at least the first three to five years after Peter's departure.

Save beginner's incompetence -- and arrogance -- as well as fear of incurring the old man's wrath minus playoff revenue, there is no earthly reason why the Boston Bruins could not have built upon the foundation created by Peter Chiarelli, Claude Julien, Zdeno Chara, and Patrice Bergeron.

Why?

Don Sweeney and Cam Neely.

That's why.

Seem to recall back-to-back seasons with that foundation inherited by Sweeney (Julien, Chara & Bergeron) missing the playoffs.

Haven't missed the playoffs since then. That would be 8 straight seasons making the playoffs.

Only other team to do that is Toronto and we know the Bruins have been more successful than them in the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I honestly go day to day on him.

Part of me just wants another vision and perspective and someone else shopping for the groceries.

Part of me thinks that’s unfair because, while this team isn’t nearly as tough as I’d like, he’s done a B+/A- job overall.

In the end, I’m happy to give it another year….but wouldn’t be upset if he were gone by this time next year either.

(also, the 88 Bruins weren’t as tough as I’d like)
😂😂

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I honestly go day to day on him.

Part of me just wants another vision and perspective and someone else shopping for the groceries.

Part of me thinks that’s unfair because, while this team isn’t nearly as tough as I’d like, he’s done a B+/A- job overall.

In the end, I’m happy to give it another year….but wouldn’t be upset if he were gone by this time next year either.

(also, the 88 Bruins weren’t as tough as I’d like)
😂😂

So do you have a sure thing A to A+ in mind?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
So do you have a sure thing A to A+ in mind?

Nope, but like with players you just don’t know until someone gets the chance.

I will say that I really don’t like Sweeney as a person.

I’ve met him once and while it isn't fair to use one meeting to make a definitive opinion of a person, he’s never really done anything during his time as GM to make me change my mind.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think PIT and WAS succession plan is to rebuild. Not to keep treading water.

They be passing by the B's in 5 years. With some high draft picks and a good base.
that, my friend, is not what a succession plan is and any team that has Sidney Crosby does not rebuild, if that were the case, they wouldn`t have gone out and grabbed Karlsson last year, re-sign Letang and Malkin

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Babajingo

that, my friend, is not what a succession plan is and any team that has Sidney Crosby does not rebuild, if that were the case, they wouldn`t have gone out and grabbed Karlsson last year, re-sign Letang and Malkin
If I'm not mistaken, I believe you said after they retire (Sid & Geno).
Geno's contract only goes 1 year beyond Sids. And Karlssons a year after that. So maybe they do a 2 yr extension for Sid. So, after 3 years Sid, Geno and Karlsson are gone. Time to rebuild.

In the long run, its Dubas, so he'll probably trade for Eddie Shore's rights.

You're right, as long as Sid is playing, they aren't rebuilding.

The contract I still don't understand is the Tom Wilson one. Maybe people smarter than me understand it.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I agree.

Why would anyone think Sweeney would be fired.

GM’s have a shelf life, like coaches and sometimes players.

I don’t get how people don’t think it’s a consideration.

Unlikely, but regardless of how much blame you want to assign to him, they haven’t won a cup, and over two coaches now have underachieved significantly in at least 2, maybe three playoff seasons.

You know where I stand on him, and even if I don’t blame him for last years collapse, it happened on his watch and if I owned the team, I might be thinking differently.

Reactions: Sevendust

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
GM’s have a shelf life, like coaches and sometimes players.

I don’t get how people don’t think it’s a consideration.

Unlikely, but regardless of how much blame you want to assign to him, they haven’t won a cup, and over two coaches now have underachieved significantly in at least 2, maybe three playoff seasons.

You know where I stand on him, and even if I don’t blame him for last years collapse, it happened on his watch and if I owned the team, I might be thinking differently.
Sweeney used to play for the Bruins, is BFF's with Neely, and Sinden and Jacobs love him. That means something to this organization, for some reason. It's an old boys club. Also, Sweeney gets at least 3 playoff home games for Jacobs every year, so he gets to stay. Harry Sinden was GM for over 25 years and never won a cup, but he made the playoffs in all but 2 years. He got extension after extension simply for making the playoffs and giving Jacobs some extra revenue from the playoff gates.

Reactions: Babajingo

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Sweeney used to play for the Bruins, is BFF's with Neely, and Sinden and Jacobs love him. That means something to this organization, for some reason. It's an old boys club. Also, Sweeney gets at least 3 playoff home games for Jacobs every year, so he gets to stay. Harry Sinden was GM for over 25 years and never won a cup, but he made the playoffs in all but 2 years. He got extension after extension simply for making the playoffs and giving Jacobs some extra revenue from the playoff gates.

Oh, I get it.

Doesn’t make it right though.

I’d consider doing the same with Neely, personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad