Management Don Sweeney

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
Panthers only have 3 players drafted and developed. Tkachuck, Reinhart, Bennett, and Montour were acquired for picks (+ Huberdeau). Verhaeghe and Forsling picked up for free.

Pro scouting is more important and the Bruins have been trending up in that regard. I still think GMs get Sweeney to pay more though

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Panthers only have 3 players drafted and developed. Tkachuck, Reinhart, Bennett, and Montour were acquired for picks (+ Huberdeau). Verhaeghe and Forsling picked up for free.

Pro scouting is more important and the Bruins have been trending up in that regard. I still think GMs get Sweeney to pay more though
The problem with Sweeney is that he thinks he’s smart because he went to Harvard, but he doesn’t realize that going to Harvard on a sports scholarship doesn’t mean shit other than you were good at Hockey. So now he’s in this situation where he’s the dumb guy in the room that thinks he’s the smart guy in the room.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
@DKH hss told me the Bruins were for sure winning the cup if Covid never happned.

So I think you have to give Sweeney credit for a cup win at least
I had then 16-1 aw well

They lose a game in round 2 to Leafs on horrific call by the refs when Tuukka taken out by David Clarkson.

Sweeney uncaring afterwards and cost the Bruins 16-0 and immortality and leaving a foul taste in all Bruins perfectionists everywhere

The only saving grace was we got to boo him at parade

• Haha
Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Florida GM is brilliant - when Marchand had that breakaway game 5 to knock the Panthers out last year he knew Marshy would choke because da Broonz are chokers

Tatum, Devers, Jaylen Brown, Pastah, McAvoy, Marshy, Drake Maye soon enough all chokers

We deserve better

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Florida GM is brilliant - when Marchand had that breakaway game 5 to knock the Panthers out last year he knew Marshy would choke because da Broonz are chokers

Tatum, Devers, Jaylen Brown, Pastah, McAvoy, Marshy, Drake Maye soon enough all chokers

We deserve better

Can’t be chokers when the refs are to blame for every loss

Reactions: EverettMike

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Some perspective:

Steve Dangle (I know a lot of you hate him, put that aside for this point please)
on his podcast listened to Don Sweeneys press conference and loved how he said something without getting nailed for it. Says he loved it.

Perhaps we need to get outside of our bubble here to get some different perspectives.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
And our current GM failed to adequately replace them. Like seriously, the Krejci retirement (the first one) caught these guys so off guard it wasn't even funny.
He went 5-6 years before he gave Krejci 2 competent wingers. That's inexcusable. He didn't do a great job of maximizing the championship window when Krejci and Bergeron were here, which is also inexcusable.

Quite a bit of it goes back to the 2 off-seasons of the retool (2015 and 2016), which he basically failed.

-Traded Reilly Smith in a package for Jimmy Hayes, who Florida wanted to get rid of
-Signed Matt Beleskey, who was coming off a fluke contract year
-In the top half of a generational 1st round he drafted 2 busts (Senyshyn, Zboril) and opted to reach for a player who was vastly inferior to other forwards still on the board (Barzal, Connor, etc.)
-He rushed the Hamilton trade and per James Mirtle, turned down "much higher" first round picks than 15th overall
-He overpaid Adam McQuaid when they had a younger/cheaper version of him on the roster in Kevan Miller
-Wasted a 3rd round pick on Zac Rinaldo
-Wasted a 2nd, 3th, and a 4th round pick on JML and Stempniak just to try and sneak into the playoffs when they had a 0% chance of winning a playoff round
-Didn't trade Loui Eriksson just because they wanted 2 playoff home games
-Signed David Backes to a terrible contract

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Did Sweeney draft Senyshyn or was that Chiarelli?

We need to get to the bottom of this mystery
The real mystery from that 2015 draft is what other 1st round picks were offered for Hamilton. Friedman said Sweeney rushed the trade and other GM's, who would've inquired about Hamilton, were upset because they didn't know he was available. James Mirtle of the Athletic, who is very plugged in, said that Sweeney was offered "much higher" 1sts than 15th overall. Friedman said things were close with Colorado, so I would imagine that they were one of the teams and they offered the 10th overall pick. Columbus needed a lot of help on D and they were interested in Hamilton, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were the other team and offered the 8th overall pick.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
The problem with Sweeney is that he thinks he’s smart because he went to Harvard, but he doesn’t realize that going to Harvard on a sports scholarship doesn’t mean shit other than you were good at Hockey. So now he’s in this situation where he’s the dumb guy in the room that thinks he’s the smart guy in the room.

Harvard does not give out sports scholarships.

Reactions: MarchysNoseKnows

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I understand that, but they need to identify what the issue is and address it, which they’ve failed to do for far too long.

Bruins have the most regular season points in the league in 9 years under Sweeney. They have 1 Eastern Conference Finals appearance in those 9 seasons.
Because they are built for regular season success, not built for the playoffs which is a heavy much different game, sorry but time for a change. That press conference was a disgrace, I want to see some fire from management, maybe "snowflake Donnie" the Havard Grad sees it differently, but he just needs to go.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Let's see if he can come up with a top line center this offseason. Can't come back with more of the same. I love Coyle and all that he brings to the table. He's a valuable player. But Zacha has wilted. He's more suited as a wing.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Question for the Sweeney supporters:

Sweeney teams have made it out of the 2nd round 1 time in 9 years.

How many more years do you give Sweeney without making it out of the 2nd round do you give him before you move on?

Or is it as simple as make the playoffs and you have a job?

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Let's see if he can come up with a top line center this offseason. Can't come back with more of the same. I love Coyle and all that he brings to the table. He's a valuable player. But Zacha has wilted. He's more suited as a wing.
Has more points than Coyle is a plus 1 to Coyle's-1

What Exactly do you love about Coyle's game and what he brings to the table?

Coyle has been dog shit in the playoffs, he's ONE is the reasons we are down 3-1,

He gets lost in coverage a million times in his D zone (I though he was a great defensive forward ... farce) Brings nothing in term of offense , sucks at fo's. lastly can you remember a hit he's thrown in the playoffs ?

Stop with the Coyle praise, he's making 5m a year to be an average player at best that just had a career year at the age of 32.

Zacha is the least of the teams problem, same excuses the Coyle defenders want to raise that he's playing up its not his fault.

Well Zacha is not a center but he's out performing Coyle

How many more years do you give Sweeney without making it out of the 2nd round do you give him before you move on?

Make the playoffs, that's his job. What happened next is luck in most cases and a great goalie performance

Babajingo

That's all his boss cares about. So his job is secure.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Has more points than Coyle is a plus 1 to Coyle's-1

What Exactly do you love about Coyle's game and what he brings to the table?

Coyle has been dog shit in the playoffs, he's ONE is the reasons we are down 3-1,

He gets lost in coverage a million times in his D zone (I though he was a great defensive forward ... farce) Brings nothing in term of offense , sucks at fo's. lastly can you remember a hit he's thrown in the playoffs ?

Stop with the Coyle praise, he's making 5m a year to be an average player at best that just had a career year at the age of 32.

Zacha is the least of the teams problem, same excuses the Coyle defenders want to raise that he's playing up its not his fault.

Well Zacha is not a center but he's out performing Coyle

Make the playoffs, that's his job. What happened next is luck in most cases and a great goalie performance
Coyle been way more noticeable then Zacha and don't turn pucks over like Zacha .When was last time Zacha scored a goal?Believe me I want them both to play well but if I am keeping one player over other it's Coyle no question about it..Sorry about highjacking Donny thread.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Coyle been way more noticeable then Zacha and don't turn pucks over like Zacha .When was last time Zacha scored a goal?
Coyle is noticeable alright and not in a good way

Coyle has ONE open net tap in goal, couldn't even hit the net on a breakaway that could have put the team up by 3. Ya he's noticeable lol

Just stop with this Coyle nonsense , he's brutal

Reactions: Ozzy Osbourne

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
That's all his boss cares about. So his job is secure.
Sinden was GM for 28 years and never won a Cup, but he made the playoffs in 26 of those years. There was a 4 year stretch where in 3 of those years they either missed the playoffs or lost in the 1st round. But he gave Mr. Burns playoff revenue, so he was given extension after extension.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Coyle is noticeable alright and not in a good way

Coyle has ONE open net tap in goal, couldn't even hit the net on a breakaway that could have put the team up by 3. Ya he's noticeable lol

Just stop with this Coyle nonsense , he's brutal
I feel same way about that softie Zacha so I guess it's a stalemate lol

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

He inherited a team that needed to be rebuilt. He drafted well enough to establish a new core of players on this team. He built a team that had the best regular season in NHL history that didn't make it far in the playoffs which isn't his fault. This seasons team overachieved making it to the 2nd round.

He's not without criticism, but I think he has done a pretty good job.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

As far as JJ is concerned it is make the playoffs and you have a job. He has never given a flying f*** about winning.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He inherited a team that needed to be rebuilt. He drafted well enough to establish a new core of players on this team. He built a team that had the best regular season in NHL history that didn't make it far in the playoffs which isn't his fault. This seasons team overachieved making it to the 2nd round.

He's not without criticism, but I think he has done a pretty good job.

But how many more postseasons of what we are currently experiencing does he get before they move on?

Or is he just good until he misses the playoffs?

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
But how many more postseasons of what we are currently experiencing does he get before they move on?

Or is he just good until he misses the playoffs?
Without knowing what the results of this playoffs will be for the Bruins or the changes they make next season. I think the expectation is that they should at least win a round next season.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Some perspective:

Steve Dangle (I know a lot of you hate him, put that aside for this point please)
on his podcast listened to Don Sweeneys press conference and loved how he said something without getting nailed for it. Says he loved it.

Perhaps we need to get outside of our bubble here to get some different perspectives.
Dangle probably loved how Sweeney did a bit of verbal jujitsu in by not criticizing the refs himself but by advising the reporters to the interview refs, or their representatives, themselves. Fine. But, that’ll never happen; the refs answer to no one, least of all the press.

The bottom line is that Sweeney’s inability to draft and acquire the kind of team we need is not up to par. And he’s also given some bad contracts to people he has acquired.

I think the organization needs a better front office. Frankly, I don’t think there’s a coach in the league who could take this team very far with the personnel we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad