Management Don Sweeney

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Sinden was GM for 28 years and never won a Cup, but he made the playoffs in 26 of those years. There was a 4 year stretch where in 3 of those years they either missed the playoffs or lost in the 1st round. But he gave Mr. Burns playoff revenue, so he was given extension after extension.
And basically every fan wanted him gone for not winning a cup. The playoffs were simply not good enough. I don’t know what happened to expectations between then and now?

As far as Sweeney I think he has built capable cup winners but the players have shit golden opportunities away. Now, he put those players together, so chicken or the egg?

As an out of town fan, my rangers and devils friends/family tell me the 2019 playoff run was a complete fluke playing the 7 and 8 seeds in the final two rounds. Bruins needed to win that game 7 and I think people look at Sweeney differently. He did his job imo

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Has more points than Coyle is a plus 1 to Coyle's-1

What Exactly do you love about Coyle's game and what he brings to the table?

Coyle has been dog shit in the playoffs, he's ONE is the reasons we are down 3-1,

He gets lost in coverage a million times in his D zone (I though he was a great defensive forward ... farce) Brings nothing in term of offense , sucks at fo's. lastly can you remember a hit he's thrown in the playoffs ?

Stop with the Coyle praise, he's making 5m a year to be an average player at best that just had a career year at the age of 32.

Zacha is the least of the teams problem, same excuses the Coyle defenders want to raise that he's playing up its not his fault.

Well Zacha is not a center but he's out performing Coyle

Make the playoffs, that's his job. What happened next is luck in most cases and a great goalie performance
They both playing too high in the lineup. But it is what it is. They need one or two top six centers. I'd settle for one. We must be watching different games thing if you think Zacha isn't an issue. I'll take Coyle over him every day of the week.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Can’t be chokers when the refs are to blame for every loss
Life is all about balance and the Bruins losses are 1/2 ref and 1/2 choke

I don’t trust any ref born in Ontario (Leafs), Quebec (Montreal), or British Columbia (Canucks)

If they aren’t PEI or White Knife or Frostbite Falls (wherever Sheppy unheated cabin is) I don’t trust them

My biggest issue with Sweeney is this team has slowly lost its identity as being tough to play against.
They lead the playoffs in hits, fake penalties, and GM’s who don’t care

Actually McAvoy & Coyle going into last night were 1,2 in hits

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Some perspective:

Steve Dangle (I know a lot of you hate him, put that aside for this point please)
on his podcast listened to Don Sweeneys press conference and loved how he said something without getting nailed for it. Says he loved it.

Perhaps we need to get outside of our bubble here to get some different perspectives.

Yeah I go to noted Leafs honks for all my opinions on the Bruins.

• Love
Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
He went 5-6 years before he gave Krejci 2 competent wingers. That's inexcusable. He didn't do a great job of maximizing the championship window when Krejci and Bergeron were here, which is also inexcusable.

Quite a bit of it goes back to the 2 off-seasons of the retool (2015 and 2016), which he basically failed.

-Traded Reilly Smith in a package for Jimmy Hayes, who Florida wanted to get rid of
-Signed Matt Beleskey, who was coming off a fluke contract year
-In the top half of a generational 1st round he drafted 2 busts (Senyshyn, Zboril) and opted to reach for a player who was vastly inferior to other forwards still on the board (Barzal, Connor, etc.)
-He rushed the Hamilton trade and per James Mirtle, turned down "much higher" first round picks than 15th overall
-He overpaid Adam McQuaid when they had a younger/cheaper version of him on the roster in Kevan Miller
-Wasted a 3rd round pick on Zac Rinaldo
-Wasted a 2nd, 3th, and a 4th round pick on JML and Stempniak just to try and sneak into the playoffs when they had a 0% chance of winning a playoff round
-Didn't trade Loui Eriksson just because they wanted 2 playoff home games
-Signed David Backes to a terrible contract

This is an understatement and the reason I really came to loathe him as a GM. No one did less with more than him. Year after year after year, despite having so much talent and the team's most loyal fans could see the obvious deficiencies in the roster, he left the team with gaping holes. Great goaltending has covered up so many of his mistakes.

I'm not even mad about this year. He finally went for it last year and now the check is due. They've exceeded my expectations for this season, even as they get rolled in round 2. But I am beyond worried for the future because of the lack of talent and certain contracts.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Life is all about balance and the Bruins losses are 1/2 ref and 1/2 choke

I don’t trust any ref born in Ontario (Leafs), Quebec (Montreal), or British Columbia (Canucks)

If they aren’t PEI or White Knife or Frostbite Falls (wherever Sheppy unheated cabin is) I don’t trust them

They lead the playoffs in hits, fake penalties, and GM’s who don’t care

Actually McAvoy & Coyle going into last night were 1,2 in hits
Hit count doesn’t mean tough to play against.

Reactions: capecodder

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Absolutely pathetic showing by Sweeney. Have some balls or just don’t bother with that press conference. Everyone bitched about Cassidy not lighting up the officials and then we get this display of gutlessness from management and fans are ok with it? Garbage
They have been told by Jacobs family to keep their mouths shut. For the money they are getting they will do what they are told. You would be any different.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Tough for even me to support Sweeney when he’s staying home for a college graduation party for his neighbors kid

Ok he can follow the game on the NESN App but we need a GM who cares

• Wow
Reactions: Kegs and TobanWest

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
Tough for even me to support Sweeney when he’s staying home for a college graduation party for his neighbors kid

Really what a fn turd. Why would a team stuck up for each other when the GM can't even make a season ending elimination game. 100th game In the 100th season to boot

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019

Spineless Don needs to be sent a message by the Season Ticket Holders, that they will consider not buying their ST's for next season! Just saying! 😉

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Really what a fn turd. Why would a team stuck up for each other when the GM can't even make a season ending elimination game. 100th game In the 100th season to boot
Not only that he’s not even at the game - he’s at a college graduation party for his neighbors daughter Claire.

I get it he said he’s got the app but the guy doesn’t care

I hope the cake is good Donny

• Wow
Reactions: TobanWest

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Sinden was GM for 28 years and never won a Cup, but he made the playoffs in 26 of those years. There was a 4 year stretch where in 3 of those years they either missed the playoffs or lost in the 1st round. But he gave Mr. Burns playoff revenue, so he was given extension after extension.
This is all one need know.

If you recall, nothing changed until the Bruins finally hit rock bottom and their fans began deserting them. The ATM went dry. That is the sum total of what the bugger in Buffalo cares about.

So, as noted previously, Jacobs has to pass from the scene before anything of any import will happen.

You can go back to sleep now.

Reactions: capecodder

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Sweeney's teams have zero identity. Hope your goalie wins the game for you, that's the identity.

IDK, how many teams have an identity in a league where half of the players look the same, play the same, skate the same, talk the same, act the same.

Any identities that do arise are fleeting with the amount of player and coach turnover.

The Panthers have compiled a small cast of characters. Good for them.

Reactions: Kegs and GordonHowe

Five Hole

The puck stops here.
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2004
Southern New England
A few thoughts…
  • As far as I know Sweeney did NOT “call” a press conference, he simply assigned himself to the availability list. It would appear he was trying to give his coach and players a bit of a break.
  • The organization, as a whole, is not going to criticize the Refs or the Supervisors, doing so will not just result in a fine, it creates unnecessary bad blood. If you were in charge, why would you do that? It is incredibly short sighted and naive to lash out at the league through the press. No offense to all of you that are clamoring for blood but what you want is stupid and useless…get over it.
  • What he actually accomplished was to shine a light on the league’s bigger failure without crossing the line. Telling anyone who is listening that the answers to the questions can only come from the league and the officials making the calls. Those in charge need to show some accountability. We can only hope that more organizations start demanding that same accountability and that someone from the league starts answering the media’s questions.
That’s all I’ve got…please feel free to go back to your crying and whining…

Reactions: Alan Ryan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad