News Article: Doug Armstrong Q&A

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah JR actually asked some good questions. I liked that he asked if Army thought the Blues' best players could compete with other teams' best players.

Armstrong is usually fairly calm, but I thought in watching the interview he did seem generally frustrated. I'd expect some things to happen this summer for sure.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I thought when he was talking about acquiring players he was speaking of Stastny. I could be looking too much into it because I want that to happen but when he said...

There are good players out there. As I said, most of them usually stay with the teams that they're at.

That may mean nothing but Stastny definitely fits that description. Which to me means they are at least looking at him...possibly. Again, I'm probably looking too much into it.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
They better be looking at him or else they aren't very competent at their job.

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
Doug Armstrong said:
Yeah, I think as a management group, what you want to do at the trade deadline is assess your team. You don't want to spend fool's gold at that time. At that time, you say, 'OK you're either buyers or sellers or neutral.' We believed that neutral was going to be fine unless we could make one trade to get the goalie.

Curious to me that when Army talks about the trade deadline, he mentions acquiring a goalie or no one. There is zero recognition on his part of the need for a 1/2C. I don't know if he's being honest or just playing the game. But that comment worries me going forward.

Later in the same response, he's absolved some of Miller's playoff sins. Granted what he's saying is true, but to me, it's an incomplete truth.

Sounds like Elliott probably won't be returning, too.

When asked about a 2C directly, Army deflected and mentions that maybe second line is where Sobotka belongs. He's obviously not watching the same team that I am.

Sounds like Hitch will be back, too.

He doesn't point any fingers, least of all at himself.

Megalodan

Registered Loser
Mar 11, 2011
Drinkscotch Center
army seems like he's in negotiations-mode with miller. he's not giving him praise, but he's not placing the blame on him. lots of emphasis on allen being ready to push for starts, though.

i liked that when he was asked about the want for a second line center armstrong got really excited, had to stop himself, then deflected it to a statement on how berglund and sobotka are suitable alternatives.

all aboard the s.s. stastny

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Curious to me that when Army talks about the trade deadline, he mentions acquiring a goalie or no one. There is zero recognition on his part of the need for a 1/2C. I don't know if he's being honest or just playing the game. But that comment worries me going forward.

Later in the same response, he's absolved some of Miller's playoff sins. Granted what he's saying is true, but to me, it's an incomplete truth.

When asked about a 2C directly, Army deflected and mentions that maybe second line is where Sobotka belongs. He's obviously not watching the same team that I am.

Well I think when asked about the 2C spot he didn't want to say anything to the effect of "Sobotka and Berglund obviously just can't cut it." He's not going to bring down players. His facial expressions seemed more like he knew that it's a problem and needs to be fixed. But who was realistically available at the deadline as far as 2C's go that fit our system?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

This worries me too. When asked about the need for a center, he mentions both Sobotka and Berglund. I love Sobotka but I love him infinitely more as a 3rd liner that can come up to the 2nd in case of injuries. I like Berglund as well and would like him infinitely more as a winger on the 3rd line, who can slide to center if Soby moves up. We have to get another true center to slot between Tank and Schwartz.

I also found it interesting that MPS, Jaskin and Allen are already being handed roster spots. Allen, I get. Jaskin and Paajarvi I don't. If they both have things they need to work on, see if they work on it and assess that in the pre-season. Also see what the off-season brings with signings, trades, etc. Hopefully, Army is just being cautious and not assuming we can get someone in the market in which case they will have to play.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Nothing should be read into the vast majority of what he said. Although I think it is pretty clear he is going to be trying to sign Miller, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

The only thing I take issue with is him saying Jaškin has a spot on this team next season. The only thing Jaškin should be getting told is that he'll be back in the AHL unless his skating sees improvement over the summer.

ejoshie

Aug 26, 2008
To be honest, how much is going to be said to the media in late April.

He keeps his job and paycheck and goes home to the wife and kids.

Starts planning his summer vacation.

Don Waddell after the train wreck in Atlanta is still working in the NHL then that is all you need to know.

January 21, 2012, the Pittsburgh Penguins announced their hiring of Don Waddell as a professional scout.

Great line of work.

BigB

We Want Big Macs!
Nov 25, 2011
USA
I thought it was a good read....

I was not expecting the Allen and Jaskin given jobs comment. Obviously he is wanting to shed some more salary somewhere and give those young kids jobs at cheap labor. There is obvious issue with the center options and he is considering what the cost will be bring in for a replacement.

The Berglund sitution made me read that he is not interested in really holding on to him but willing to part. Which i would agree with them. Sell him off or package deal.

Elliott I see getting walking papers only if Miller is not resigned. I feel bad for Elliott as he has done really well and just got crapped on.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

"With this year's disappointment, we're going to have to look a little bit deeper to players and starting with myself, where I need to improve to give them the best opportunity to have success."

Sounds like he is pointing fingers at himself to me.

What center was available at the deadline? Kesler with a crazy asking price, I think. Spezza maybe, but I don't see him as a good fit at all, and also asking too much. I think his statement was more an acknowledgment that that the guy the Blues need on offense, there was no one like that available this trade deadline.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
"We need that killer instinct, we need to be able to when you have a team down 2-0, you need to take the knife and jam it through their eye into their brain and kill them. We don't do that."

I love that quote.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Great interview. I completely forgot about Paajarvi. I like how he made the comparison with Sobotka as someone who works his ass off and forces his way into the line-up. Jaskin and Paajarvi need to do that to force their way into the top 12. I could see them with Sobotka and Berglund as the 3rd line.

I think Miller will be re-signed. I think that was the motive behind the trade initially, not to get him as a rental. I don't believe the post-season disappointment has changed that plan. As long as the budget isn't strained so that a guy like Stastny (or another option) at center becomes impossible, I'm OK with Miller. I know that's not so popular just now, but I think he'll play better with more experience behind this team.

I thought they may entertain re-signing Ott. Could he be a 4th line player, or would he want to be on a different team with a bigger role? But I think Morrow, Roy are gone. Reaves, Lapierre are here for sure. Porter and Cracknell should be on NHL rosters, but not sure there is room for everyone on the Blues 4th line.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
I wouldn't have a problem with resigning miller, but he is most likely going to Anaheim. We beed to try to sign hiller and have allen as the back up.

Roy ott and morrow hopefully are not brought back. Roy and ott are overpaid and will want more than they are worth

Oshie - backes- steen
Schwartz - FA - tarasenko
Berglund - sabotka - jaskin/paajarvi
Reaves - lapierre - cracknell

Petrangelo - bouwmeester
Shattenkirk - polak
Cole - FA

Thats right no jackman, wont happen but ive been wishing for it for at least 5 years.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
Armstrong doesn't even remotely sound confident in Berglund. Listen and watch the interview.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Where was the Sobotka comment?

The one about Sobotka being a good fit playing with Schwartz and Tarasenko. Just because they're an effective line doesn't mean it couldn't be a lot better. It was a fall back comment for if he can't land a center. Pretty weak.

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
"With this year's disappointment, we're going to have to look a little bit deeper to players and starting with myself, where I need to improve to give them the best opportunity to have success."

Sounds like he is pointing fingers at himself to me.

What center was available at the deadline? Kesler with a crazy asking price, I think. Spezza maybe, but I don't see him as a good fit at all, and also asking too much. I think his statement was more an acknowledgment that that the guy the Blues need on offense, there was no one like that available this trade deadline.

The ol' "we gotta pick ourselves up by the bootstraps, starting with me" talk doesn't mean he's pointing the finger at himself. To me, it's just hyperbole after a disappointingly premature finale. You want to take blame, tell me what you're taking the blame for. Saying, "I have to be better" is obvious and essentially meaningless at a time like this.

To your second point, I'll make the same basic argument, if the piece you need isn't available, then why not acknowledge that fact? "Look, I realize we needed an offensive addition, preferably a proven center, but there weren't any realistic options available."

Personal note to 2mm: I must be in an argumentative mood or something. You're not usually worth engaging because while I don't normally agree with you, you are right a lot. ;)

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Just listened to the interview. Heard some things I liked, heard some things I didn't.

Schwartz/Sobotka/Tarasenko are our best line not because of Sobotka. He doesn't bring them down, but he certainly doesn't elevate them. If anything they elevate him.

The fact that he immediately started talking about Berglund when asked about our second line center literally terrifies me.

I liked the comment about having Jaskin and Allen having jobs here next year. I think that's the right mind-set to take with both of those guys. Having the expectation that both are going to play in the NHL next year as long as they earn it (Which I thought he made pretty clear) is a much better motivator, especially imo to Jaskin, then the traditional, "Well we're going to let him battle it out in camp blah blah blah" nonsense that usually means we're thinking about him as a last resort. I think Jaskin will work that much harder this off-season knowing that he has a roster spot so long as he works his ass off. I feel this is the message we gave Tarasenko last year, and that turned out pretty well. I also like what he said about MPS, I think MPS should be a solid contributor next year. Not Perron numbers, but a solid bottom 6 guy.

I cannot believe he was saying that there's no one out there over 30 that can come in and help this team on the UFA market. That's just plain stupid. Vanek might not be worth 7 million until he's 37, but he'd instantly become the second best scorer on this team next year, and for at least 3 years after that. I also think that Army should be slapped upside the head for basically admitting he wasn't looking for any scoring help at the deadline this season. Clearly he's not watching the same team I was. There's no excuse for not at least kicking the tires on a lot of those guys who went for peanuts. Vanek, Moulson, and Gaborik are all currently still playing hockey right now, while we're not.

Hopefully next year with no Olympics and no lockout will help us. I gotta be honest though, after listening to his interview, I don't really feel that same sense of optimism I felt last year around this time.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The ol' "we gotta pick ourselves up by the bootstraps, starting with me" talk doesn't mean he's pointing the finger at himself. To me, it's just hyperbole after a disappointingly premature finale. You want to take blame, tell me what you're taking the blame for. Saying, "I have to be better" is obvious and essentially meaningless at a time like this.

To your second point, I'll make the same basic argument, if the piece you need isn't available, then why not acknowledge that fact? "Look, I realize we needed an offensive addition, preferably a proven center, but there weren't any realistic options available."

Personal note to 2mm: I must be in an argumentative mood or something. You're not usually worth engaging because while I don't normally agree with you, you are right a lot. ;)

I had to reread that last part, since I couldn't unpack the meaning on first pass....then I really cracked up.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Just listened to the interview. Heard some things I liked, heard some things I didn't.

Schwartz/Sobotka/Tarasenko are our best line not because of Sobotka. He doesn't bring them down, but he certainly doesn't elevate them. If anything they elevate him.

The fact that he immediately started talking about Berglund when asked about our second line center literally terrifies me.

I liked the comment about having Jaskin and Allen having jobs here next year. I think that's the right mind-set to take with both of those guys. Having the expectation that both are going to play in the NHL next year as long as they earn it (Which I thought he made pretty clear) is a much better motivator, especially imo to Jaskin, then the traditional, "Well we're going to let him battle it out in camp blah blah blah" nonsense that usually means we're thinking about him as a last resort. I think Jaskin will work that much harder this off-season knowing that he has a roster spot so long as he works his ass off. I feel this is the message we gave Tarasenko last year, and that turned out pretty well. I also like what he said about MPS, I think MPS should be a solid contributor next year. Not Perron numbers, but a solid bottom 6 guy.

I cannot believe he was saying that there's no one out there over 30 that can come in and help this team on the UFA market. That's just plain stupid. Vanek might not be worth 7 million until he's 37, but he'd instantly become the second best scorer on this team next year, and for at least 3 years after that. I also think that Army should be slapped upside the head for basically admitting he wasn't looking for any scoring help at the deadline this season. Clearly he's not watching the same team I was. There's no excuse for not at least kicking the tires on a lot of those guys who went for peanuts. Vanek, Moulson, and Gaborik are all currently still playing hockey right now, while we're not.

Hopefully next year with no Olympics and no lockout will help us. I gotta be honest though, after listening to his interview, I don't really feel that same sense of optimism I felt last year around this time.
I think your misreading his comment about over 30 players. I think he's saying they don't need a "veteran" guy like Arnott, Langenbrunner, Morrow, etc to bring in leadership. The guys here are the leaders. But I don't think he was suggesting he wouldn't bring in the right player to fill a need on the ice.

He also admitted that Morrow bumped paajarvi out of ice time. I think Paajarvi will have a chance to redefine himself next season. Hopefully he works his ass off and forces hi way onto the third line.

I wonder what Ott would take for a fourth line spot. I'd love him on that line with Lapierre and Reaves. But he can probably get paid by a team like Edmonton who have a bigger need. I guess he's walking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad