Value of: Drew Doughty

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Let's imagine that Doughty is tired of losing and wants to be traded to a team with a better shot at winning the cup in the next few years. What's his value around the league? Are there any teams interested in trading for Doughty? He's been one of the best defenders in the league the past three seasons and still brings it every day. He's not as good as he once was but I still think he's a top 15 defenseman.

• Haha
Reactions: go4hockey

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Let's imagine that Doughty is tired of losing and wants to be traded to a team with a better shot at winning the cup in the next few years. What's his value around the league? Are there any teams interested in trading for Doughty? He's been one of the best defenders in the league the past three seasons and still brings it every day. He's not as good as he once was but I still think he's a top 15 defenseman.

He is absolutely still a top 15 all situations minute munching dman

if a contender could put him next to a good young offensive skater like Hughes they would be completely unstoppable, dude still crushes hard matchups like it's going out of style and not having to carry a partner for the first time in his career NOR be THE guy for f***ing everything would ensure a deep run. He's still got at least 2-3 good years.

It's like a couple of years ago when Kopitar could have been a 2C behind one of the young stud Cs, that makes a team a serious top threat...but no, theyr'e destined to die here.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
DD has a 7 team trade list. Remaining 3 years is all salary at $11 mill per. So, he can be moved even if he wants to remain in LA.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
thanks but $$$ can't work for Rs

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Not mentionning he's 34 and has 3 more years at 11M is kind of lazy.

His contract status means only teams in an urgent win-now situation will even consider giving positive assets for him, and are willing to accept that he might be a cap anchor for his final contract season, for example. That limits the field.

Lesser teams or rebuilding teams might like to add him but won't be willing to give up anything spectacular. To a large extent, he's similar to the Karlsson contract, and he didn't fetch all that much given his recent play.... and the downward spiral of the Penguins shows why.

TLDR: only a team at the tail end of a rapidly closing window will give up value for a 34 year old making 11M.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

His contract status means only teams in an urgent win-now situation will even consider giving positive assets for him, and are willing to accept that he might be a cap anchor for his final contract season, for example. That limits the field.

Lesser teams or rebuilding teams might like to add him but won't be willing to give up anything spectacular. To a large extent, he's similar to the Karlsson contract, and he didn't fetch all that much given his recent play.... and the downward spiral of the Penguins shows why.

TLDR: only a team at the tail end of a rapidly closing window will give up value for a 34 year old making 11M.
Why is that lazy? Does anyone opening this thread think Drew Doughty is a 19 year old rookie on an entry level deal?
It is known that if he wants to be traded there are only a few teams that would work. He doesnt want to be on a rebuilding team or even mediocre team.
Thats half the league out of the question. Then the amount of contenders that need a right shot dman narrows the field even more. This is known to everyone.
Whether its max retention or at 11 million the Kings arent expecting a giant haul if he wants to be dealt.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If we're talking a situation where we can make the cap work (as in retention + cap dump "Ceci") I'd pay a ransom for Doughty. Everything for us in a deal around Doughty comes down to the cap implications. Thus the cost for Doughty I wouldn't expect to be cheap. If the basis of the deal was making the Ekholm trade a comparable, 1st + good prospect + Ceci for cap reasons + additional asset around what retention we can work out.

1st 2025 + 1st 2026 + Bourgault + Ceci (cap reasons 1yr 3.25m) for Doughty (50% retained)

Nurse - Doughty
Ekholm - Bouchard
Kulak - Desharnais

Oilers would be an ideal situation for Doughty who fills our biggest need, top pairing/all situations RD. Can't see LA being willing to retain enough for a contender Oilers or otherwise to add the 11m cap hit though. Only teams I'd see rolling the dice without massive retention would be teams like Pittsburgh (bubble playoff teams - I'd imagine these types of clubs Doughty would want to avoid going to.

End of the day, I don't think Doughty is leaving LA, least not for next season.

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

If you are projecting it to a team like Montreal then sure, his age, term, and cap is relevant. But if we are looking at a team like Toronto, if it was a swap with like Marner (for cap swap), then his age and term are way less relevant as he fits their window almost perfectly. It will never happen but a trade like that would be a massive win for Toronto

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If we're talking a situation where we can make the cap work (as in retention + cap dump "Ceci") I'd pay a ransom for Doughty. Everything for us in a deal around Doughty comes down to the cap implications. Thus the cost for Doughty I wouldn't expect to be cheap. If the basis of the deal was making the Ekholm trade a comparable, 1st + good prospect + Ceci for cap reasons + additional asset around what retention we can work out.

1st 2025 + 1st 2026 + Bourgault + Ceci (cap reasons 1yr 3.25m) for Doughty (50% retained)

Nurse - Doughty
Ekholm - Bouchard
Kulak - Desharnais

Oilers would be an ideal situation for Doughty who fills our biggest need, top pairing/all situations RD. Can't see LA being willing to retain enough for a contender Oilers or otherwise to add the 11m cap hit though. Only teams I'd see rolling the dice without massive retention would be teams like Pittsburgh (bubble playoff teams - I'd imagine these types of clubs Doughty would want to avoid going to.

End of the day, I don't think Doughty is leaving LA, least not for next season.
Two 1sts that will be most likely be in the 29-32 range + a prospect who is looking more like a suspect + a cap dump. Gotta do better than that.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I think he’s only waive for Toronto at this point. So Marner? The gods know the Kings need some offensive talent like him.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Why is that lazy? Does anyone opening this thread think Drew Doughty is a 19 year old rookie on an entry level deal?
It is known that if he wants to be traded there are only a few teams that would work. He doesnt want to be on a rebuilding team or even mediocre team.
Thats half the league out of the question. Then the amount of contenders that need a right shot dman narrows the field even more. This is known to everyone.
Whether its max retention or at 11 million the Kings arent expecting a giant haul if he wants to be dealt.
It's lazy because it's a massively important piece of information.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
To LAK
Marner, Tavares (@8.5)

To Tor
Doughty, PLD, Turcotte

Nah no way, you aren’t just sneaking PLD into that trade. Both Tavares and Marner are on the last years of their contract - get PLD’s dead cap out of there

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
Have a feeling that Doughty would waive for Edmonton but the money just couldn't work.
I dont know ... i think first he would be on a canadian team .. which most folks put on their lists .. taxes and cold weather i guess .. haha ive lived here my whole life .. so it dont bother me ... but drews been living in the sun for awhile now ... and im purely guessing due to drews character .. after all these losses ... he has a hate built in to him now that he just wont let go ... haha just my thoughts though

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Marner and a first.
Zero chance Toronto adds a 1st to a just turned (today!) star in Marner for 34-year-old Doughty, for whatever time he's good for.

Hopefully Toronto learned their lesson with Muzzin and Tavares. Decline happens quickly. Couple that with Marner's projected years of production, and its LA that should add, not Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad