Confirmed with Link: Duhaime Traded to Avs for 2026 3rd Round Pick

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I’m honestly surprised we got a 3rd for him. I was expecting worse.
2026 3rd is worse. Typically for every year past the draft year, you pick devalues by a round. BG could well be fired before anyone he picks in the 2026 3rd is a factor in the NHL.

Might be nice to use to move up a few spots in this year's 2nd round, though. There are some big, solid looking RHD that should be available around then.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
That's only if you listen to outside sources. Who knows how good this draft will be.

Also not a bad trade. Duhaime was gone, so getting a 3rd is fine.
I mean my only source is my own list - as I keep reranking my top 160 over and over and keep finding myself a little less enthusiastic once I'm hitting 30s, less enthusiastic than previous years. Even at 20s it becomes quite bland so at the 3rd round, it feels really weak.
it's a 2026 3rd, which is the equivalent of a 2024 4th or , thereabouts, in trade terms. Surprised that Guerin couldn't get better.

Because of the quality and depth of Dmen in the 2024 draft, i think it will be at least average. There are a lot of Dmen past the top 10 or so that look interesting, with good size and decent skating.
Mmm...I'm not sure I entirely agree with the assessment - I understand the logic but don't necessarily agree with it.

There's some interesting picks for the Wild in the 1st round but only because we are picking top 12. I'm looking at Jiricek, Parekh etc. But when we start talking Ritchie, Masse, Kiviharju, Basha in the 20s, I think these guys would last 1st/2nd rounders in other years.

Although all this is really besides the point. I think 3rd/4th was about Duhaime's value. I didn't think he would garner a 2nd as a guy who would be a very good 4th liner on a playoff team's energy line.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
How will the locker room recover from this trade? I thought that Duhaime was immensely popular?

Did Duhaime ask BG's daughter out on a date?

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
The Dewey’s were AHL’rs before cap hell. The buyouts have affected our perception of what we think a nhl player is. Even brodziak and Veilleux outscored these guys.
Brodziak was a very good 3C in this league for multiple teams. Veillieux was getting top 6 minutes all the time as the Swiss Army knife guy.

Dewar and Duhaime are drastic upgrades on the Darrell Powe’s of the world.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The Dewey’s were AHL’rs before cap hell. The buyouts have affected our perception of what we think a nhl player is. Even brodziak and Veilleux outscored these guys.
And yet a stanley cup contender just traded for one of them... Presumably to play in the AHL?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Brodziak was a very good 3C in this league for multiple teams. Veillieux was getting top 6 minutes all the time as the Swiss Army knife guy.

Veilluex also had a Stunningly good first Career goal!
"Veilluex takes it inside, outside, right on in... He Scores!!!"

Was against the Sharks

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta

And yet a stanley cup contender just traded for one of them... Presumably to play in the AHL?
Duhaime, he’s just not that good. I will not be missing him. Only ONE player in the league has scored less than Duhaime over 62 games. The guy had 8 points.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Brodziak was a top 6 player for us when we had no cap penalties. Brodziak was a very good 3C in this league for multiple teams. Veillieux was getting top 6 minutes all the time as the Swiss Army knife guy.
Oh man...wasn't he a friend of Parise's, or was that Christensen, the best SO guy this side of F Gaudreau?

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Duhaime, he’s just not that good. I will not be missing him. Only ONE player in the league has scored less than Duhaime over 62 games. The guy had 8 points.
I’m not really broken up about it, but pretending he wasn’t a better player than the piles of dung we have had on our 4th line for the first two decades of this teams existence is disingenuous IMO. Points are whatever, Dean and Hynes have never been afraid to play him against the other teams top lines and break even, at the peak of mid 2010s we were lucky to roll 3 lines that way, never sniffing 4.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yes, we must have an all AHL bottom six.
Lol, this feels like nepotism since you liked Dewar when he progressed through the AHL.

I don’t put Dewar as much of an upgrade on an AHL player. Sub 20 point 4th liners are a dime a dozen.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Duhaime played his role and he played it well. He was fast and physical and was a decent forechecker. Getting a 3rd for him (even a 2026 3rd) is fair value. Another asset that could be used in a trade to move up in the draft or something that could be packaged in a future trade for a player.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Brodziak was a top 6 player for us when we had no cap penalties. Brodziak was a very good 3C in this league for multiple teams. Veillieux was getting top 6 minutes all the time as the Swiss Army knife guy.

Oh man...wasn't he a friend of Parise's, or was that Christensen, the best SO guy this side of F Gaudreau?
Hell yeah kyle brodziak. I miss that guy. Obviously not super skilled but steady center and a guy that could play in all situations and you felt ok with it. 7th round draft pick in his second year of eligibility

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I’m not really broken up about it, but pretending he wasn’t a better player than the piles of dung we have had on our 4th line for the first two decades of this teams existence is disingenuous IMO. Points are whatever, Dean and Hynes have never been afraid to play him against the other teams top lines and break even, at the peak of mid 2010s we were lucky to roll 3 lines that way, never sniffing 4.
I see what you’re saying, but I like my hockey players to chip in offensively every now and then. 🤷‍♂️ Duhaimes stat line is actually on pace for worse than Powes worst full season.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023

Funny that you mentioned him, a little while ago he was honored by his last team HV71 in the SHL with a "Eric Christensen Night".
They won the title in his last game before retiring. They called him King Eric the XXIV.
I watched his highligts on youtube, 90% of his goals was top corner snipes, very impressive shooter.

1709851313380.png

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
2026 3rd is worse. Typically for every year past the draft year, you pick devalues by a round. BG could well be fired before anyone he picks in the 2026 3rd is a factor in the NHL.

Might be nice to use to move up a few spots in this year's 2nd round, though. There are some big, solid looking RHD that should be available around then.
It might be worse, or it might be better. I understand that money now is better than the same amount of money in the future, but I don't think that applies to prospects as universally as it does money.

I think there are three variables in play that are most important. The first is timing. If you have a full cabinet of prospects at the moment, spreading them out into the future is a solid strategy (this also allows you to use it as future ammunition in trades that your team is not yet ready to make). Of course, if you need prospect depth ASAP, the sooner pick is almost certainly better.
The second is depth of talent in the given year. I think this one is much harder, if not impossible, to predict. Pundits and fans think it's a good or bad draft depth year and end up wrong at least as much as they end up right. I also think it's the least important of these three, given that it's the 3rd round anyway.
Finally, the third is how good the team whose pick it was is this year vs. in the future. This is also very hard to predict, but a certainty is that Colorado is good this year. Postponing the pick out a few years gives you a better chance that a good team will get worse.

In any case, I'm more concerned about which round it's in at this point than I am which year it's for. A 5th rounder from this year has a lower chance to be a player than a 3rd rounder from 2026, in general.

Reactions: Minnewildsota

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
So a 2026 3rd in the bank. Great. We know Guerin, I guess he's done already :D

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It might be worse, or it might be better. I understand that money now is better than the same amount of money in the future, but I don't think that applies to prospects as universally as it does money.

I think there are three variables in play that are most important. The first is timing. If you have a full cabinet of prospects at the moment, spreading them out into the future is a solid strategy (this also allows you to use it as future ammunition in trades that your team is not yet ready to make). Of course, if you need prospect depth ASAP, the sooner pick is almost certainly better.
The second is depth of talent in the given year. I think this one is much harder, if not impossible, to predict. Pundits and fans think it's a good or bad draft depth year and end up wrong at least as much as they end up right. I also think it's the least important of these three, given that it's the 3rd round anyway.
Finally, the third is how good the team whose pick it was is this year vs. in the future. This is also very hard to predict, but a certainty is that Colorado is good this year. Postponing the pick out a few years gives you a better chance that a good team will get worse.

In any case, I'm more concerned about which round it's in at this point than I am which year it's for. A 5th rounder from this year has a lower chance to be a player than a 3rd rounder from 2026, in general.
Same. As far as fans go, I'm not sure why this isn't unanimous.

I'd take a 1st rounder 10 years from now over a 2nd rounder this year.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
“Lineup was getting full”

Technically that may be true but there are about 4 regulars who should be in Iowa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad