Dundon makes investment in new Alliance of American Football

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
If they are all ready almost missing payroll then it’s more likely that the xfl and aff will canablize each other

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I have little to add, except that I think that any investment in alternative American Football leagues is going to be difficult to find return for.

Generally, if I were to judge, this suggests to me that Dundon either is not very good at choosing his sports investments, or he has enough wealth that it doesn't matter, and he is merely playing.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Isn't this the same guy that ordered the Habs to wear their white jerseys in Montreal? Could the Habs have refused , and forced the Canes to wear their whites? Because I am pretty sure he can't dictate what the home team decides.

Regardless, this dude is starting to become very irritating. Good on him for this though.

Reactions: Ragnar Lothbrok

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
$250 million isn't a big sum for Dundon, it's a vanity purchase, something to keep him occupied

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
That's 25% of his reported wealth. I'll be extremely upset if major investments are not made in players that can instantly make us a dangerous team.

I cannot speak for this investment, but I do wonder if a buyout/merger is the exit strategy. Didn't MMA sell for many billion recently?

Reactions: DaveG
Dec 15, 2002
Isn't this the same guy that ordered the Habs to wear their white jerseys in Montreal? Could the Habs have refused , and forced the Canes to wear their whites?
He didn't "order the Habs" to do anything. He put in a request asking if his team could wear its red jerseys and the Canadiens wear their white jerseys; Montreal said OK and the NHL approved it.

And yes, Montreal could have told him no. Kind of like other teams have done with the same request.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Heard this, good for him. Still it doesn't look good that a new thing can't make payroll in Week 1 of its first season.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Crazy that the league thretenthre on going under not even a quarter of the way through it's first season.

If Dundon saw this as an opportunity, why didn't he invest before the launch?

Curious to see how long he can take on the losses. If he doesn't win a cup with the Canes in the near future, he'll have a champ every year as long as he wants to.

Touchdown celebrations may be fun to watch now :D

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
Crazy that the league thretenthre on going under not even a quarter of the way through it's first season.

Curious to see how long he can take on the losses. If he doesn't win a cup with the Canes in the near future, he'll have a champ every year as long as he wants to.

Touchdown celebrations may be fun to watch now :D

He didn't invest before the season, because by the sounds of it values slumped, and he got in on pennies on the dollar

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
He didn't "order the Habs" to do anything. He put in a request asking if his team could wear its red jerseys and the Canadiens wear their white jerseys; Montreal said OK and the NHL approved it.

And yes, Montreal could have told him no. Kind of like other teams have done with the same request.

There was an article where it was reported he "Ordered" Montreal to wear their Whites. Forget the name of the publisher.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Because smart investors wait for the value to bottom out so they can maximize the earning potential of their investment. Kind of like how he waited to buy into the NHL until he found the right opportunity that allowed his investment to buy not just a team but an arena as well.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I hate the kind of damage that an irresponsible journalist can cause. That article from The Athletic should be retracted and an apology issued. Too bad every media outlet ran with it and the league is now having to work double time to fix the damage caused. This should have just been a great day for the league to announce Dundon and the financial strength he's bringing, instead they're having to assure everyone that the league isn't folding, unreal.

Reactions: RodTheBawd

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
There was an article where it was reported he "Ordered" Montreal to wear their Whites. Forget the name of the publisher.
Maybe the word "ordered" got lost in translation? Because as has already been said, he can't order another franchise to do anything. The Canes just ask the home team if they'll wear white so the Canes can wear their home jerseys, and most franchises are nice enough to do so with the NHL's approval. That's basically the extent of the situation.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
To those who are saying it's been refuted it can be refuted but I'd error on the side of caution in believing the AAF. They aren't going to come out and say Yup we are short on cash and we needed help so please come in invest in our business. Lol kinda Baghdad Bob. The part about players not receiving their paycheck due to moving to a new pay system screams BS :thumbu:. It's the type of things you hear about from established US leagues years after they've made it in a historical documentary, where some old-timer goes on about "Can you believe this from where we are today? Man things were so bad we almost folded week 2 we seriously didn't have money to pay guys ":laugh: Of course they aren't going to cop to it nor would I or should they. I don't work for them, but the Athletic has some of the best journalist out there now in sports IMHO.

Last edited:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
To those are saying it's been refuted it can be refuted but I'd error on the side of caution in believing the AAF. They aren't going to come out and say Yup we are short on cash and we needed help so please come in invest in our business. Lol kinda Baghdad Bob. The part about players not receiving their paycheck due to moving to a new pay system screams BS :thumbu:. It's the type of things you hear about a established US league in a historical documentary, where some old-timer goes on about "Can you believe this from where we are today? Man things were so bad we almost folded week 2 we seriously didn't have money to pay guys :laugh:? Of course they aren't going to cop to it nor would I or should they. I don't work for them, but the Athletic has some of the best journalist out there now in sports IMHO.

But the whole situation lines up more with what the Alliance and Dundon are saying than what the Athletic is saying.

Do you really think that the league ran into financial trouble in week 2 and Dundon just decided with minimal negotiating to not only settle up whatever current issues there are, but to inject about 4-5 seasons worth of funding on top of that?

This was in the works long before the league got started. Dundon didn't just put up 25% of his networth on a league that is already failing.

So yes, I believe what the league is saying. I believe someone at the Athletic has a connection to an agent who panicked when payday was late and irresponsibly ran an article with inly half of the story.

Reactions: ForsbergForever

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
But the whole situation lines up more with what the Alliance and Dundon are saying than what the Athletic is saying.

Do you really think that the league ran into financial trouble in week 2 and Dundon just decided with minimal negotiating to not only settle up whatever current issues there are, but to inject about 4-5 seasons worth of funding on top of that?

This was in the works long before the league got started. Dundon didn't just put up 25% of his networth on a league that is already failing.

So yes, I believe what the league is saying. I believe someone at the Athletic has a connection to an agent who panicked when payday was late and irresponsibly ran an article with inly half of the story.

Ummm Idk man I can see both sides now that you frame it that way But I definitely can believe the financial trouble given 100% failure rate of these type of football leagues after a yr or two. Yup most definitely can.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
I really want to see the XFL and AAF go Head to Head in terms of Players and Ratings and see if one or both can survive

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I really want to see the XFL and AAF go Head to Head in terms of Players and Ratings and see if one or both can survive

I'd bet heavily on Alliance surviving longer as their goal is to compliment the NFL and eventually partner with them in terms of NFL teams loaning practice squad players to AAF teams for development and doing so in non-NFL markets.

XFL is going head-to-head against the NFL in NFL cities and already stated that they have no interest in becoming an NFL feeder.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Said Ebersol to the Sentinel:

We are a start-up, and start-ups raise money in pieces — there’s a Series A piece, Series B, Series C, etc. After the success of the first week, we had a number of investors come to us and offer us all kinds of different investments. Tom Dundon showed up and said, ‘Do you want to continue to raise Series B, Series C and Series D or do you want to raise Series Infinity right now and be taken care of from now on.’ That was an offer I was not going to refuse.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
I'd bet heavily on Alliance surviving longer as their goal is to compliment the NFL and eventually partner with them in terms of NFL teams loaning practice squad players to AAF teams for development and doing so in non-NFL markets.

XFL is going head-to-head against the NFL in NFL cities and already stated that they have no interest in becoming an NFL feeder.

So sort of - quasi AAA NBA D-league then. That'd be smart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad