GDT: ECSF: Game 5 - New York Rangers vs Carolina Hurricanes, 7pm ET, ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Was watching this with my youngest son. He hasn't had many opportunities to watch some of these other series as many of the games fall on his days with his mom and there is no hockey on the TV there. He was reluctant to watch this game tonight as he doesn't know a lot of the players, and after two periods he concluded like many of us that "it's over".

But that's the fun thing about the playoffs - anything can happen, and quickly at that. I am not sure whether it is the Canes "stepping it up" in the third, or the Rangers becoming a bit complacent with the series and (at the time) game lead. What my son and I noticed was the offensive zone possessions increasing for the Canes. I remember there was this series with Staal behind the net and it's like he was able to shake off all Rangers checkers. The passing was fairly crisp many times and the pace of the game was a good back and forth until the third where it was really in the Rangers defensive zone a lot.

I am sure the refrain will come regarding officiating. These players definitely have had some officiating challenges / questionable calls, and even missed calls, BUT even if that were the case tonight, it wasn't as dominating contributing factor as the Canes putting it into overdrive for the third. Momentum can definitely change the scoreboard quickly.

Given how close most of the games have been, it is certainly not inconceivable that the Canes can come back. They seem to be a fairly resilient bunch. Regardless of the ultimate outcome, this series has scored high marks on the entertainment value meter (at least for me).

Reactions: Tofveve
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad