Prospect Info: Eduard Sale - Forward (Round 1, Pick #20 - 2023 Draft)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's the exact thing teams were supposedly worried about. On the Athletic Pod the prospect writers said that a scout wondered if Sale liked hockey. That's a scary question. He won't get anywhere without passion.

I personally won't call him poor man's Mantha though, he's right up there in talent in my book.
Mantha has size and skating, and by size I don't mean just height, 6'5" 234 lbs. That's a big boy, and he likes to break his own fist on other people's faces. And he can skate when he wants to.

But holy cow, I know stoners with more motivation than he has. Barely puts in an effort since he got his big contract, and it's an absolute shame because he could literally be a top 10 player in this league if he had half the motivation that Matty has.

At 20th any prospect on the board is going to have some significant flaw.

Yes I realize that, I've been following hockey for more than 4 decades. I don't think there were any prospects that looked better at #20, so in no ways was I implying that Francis screwed up. There weren't even any defensemen with any upside either. Guys like Bonk are available in free agency or trade all the time, his upside is second pair stay at home, and they trade for a second round pick (Graves for example).

I'm just disappointed about Moore getting picked just one pick before the Kraken. That's the frustration you are sensing, nothing more. I have generally like the way Francis drafts, ED aside.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
On compete level ... he was an underage kid, who is visibly not yet developed in his upper body, playing against men in the Czech pro league.

Obviously, who knows at this point, but I'd be super surprised if he was out physical-ing people given that situation. (Reality is not like the commercial of the pee-wee leaguer, supposedly Stamkos' kid, crushing the full grown man into the boards.)

Sale had a lot of no shows internationally too (U20 and U18), mixed in with games where he was the best player. I was forgiving of the results in the Czech league and had him top ten earlier in the year, it was the inconsistent play internationally that made me sour on him a bit.

Reactions: Goodman68

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Mantha has size and skating, and by size I don't mean just height, 6'5" 234 lbs. That's a big boy, and he likes to break his own fist on other people's faces. And he can skate when he wants to.

But holy cow, I know stoners with more motivation than he has. Barely puts in an effort since he got his big contract, and it's an absolute shame because he could literally be a top 10 player in this league if he had half the motivation that Matty has.

Yes I realize that, I've been following hockey for more than 4 decades. I don't think there were any prospects that looked better at #20, so in no ways was I implying that Francis screwed up. There weren't even any defensemen with any upside either. Guys like Bonk are available in free agency or trade all the time, his upside is second pair stay at home, and they trade for a second round pick (Graves for example).

I'm just disappointed about Moore getting picked just one pick before the Kraken. That's the frustration you are sensing, nothing more. I have generally like the way Francis drafts, ED aside.
Only thing Mantha has ever broken was his fingers, dude had frail hands.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I just noticed that Sale was picked at #7 in Craig Button's final ranking. :eek2:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Kat Predator

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
You all, I think we need to recognize that this kid may have rolled a 1 or 2 in charisma. I’m actually pretty positive that’s the case.

I think it has more to do with being a european prospect and not north amercian.

They don't school this kids as much in PR and media stuff and because of that you actually get some kind of answers that don't feel scripted.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I think it has more to do with being a european prospect and not north amercian.

They don't school this kids as much in PR and media stuff and because of that you actually get some kind of answers that don't feel scripted.

His personality is starting to come out now in camp interviews. He definitely struggles with English at this point, but he’ll be living in Canada and learning how not to say the first a in Pasta, so there’s that.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Anyone know who drafted E Sale in the CHL Import draft?

Forget it no one seemed to have drafted the youngster E Sale...Guess he'll play in Czechia again with the men

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
If this guy has anything less than 120 point season in OHL, it is going to be at least from my perspective huge disappointment.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Is it realistic to expect a European player to hit 120 points in their first season in NA? You may be setting yourself up for disappointment with a target like that.

I think it must be.

I've heard that Sale's goal was about 264 points next season and heard his comment was supposed to be "f*ck it, I'll do it"....or something along the lines of that....:sarcasm:

luapejrug

Jan 24, 2023
Hahaha Seattle fans are SOOOO funny. I just wanted to start serious conversation but nooooo...:rolleyes:
Then in all seriousness, assuming that you've been following him this season, what makes you think he can put up 120 points in the O? I know he has the skill to be a top player, but those are also very high expectations and I think Seattle fans are weary to put huge expectations on players seeing whats been going on with Shane Wright this year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad