Elden Ring - February 2022 (PC, PS4, PS5, XBOX ONE, XBOX SERIES S/X)

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I have not been invaded once. I just assumed you had to specifically use an item to even get invaded by non-NPCs.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I have not been invaded once. I just assumed you had to specifically use an item to even get invaded by non-NPCs.

I haven't started the game yet but after it was first mentioned, I looked and from what I see it says if you summon other people to help then that kind of opens a door or turns on invasions from other players, so if you don't summon help you won't get invaded

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I play with my friend quite a bit and we get invaded basically every time we play.
You just gave the answer. You play with a friend. If you play solo it's extremely unlikely you get invaded

Also there is an item to get invaded called taunters tongue. It lets you summon I think 3 people but also makes it much more likely you get invaded

Reactions: CBJx614

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I’m new to From as well and the messages are 70% useless. I wonder why putting messages over Grace sites hasn’t been patched out yet.

How’re you liking the game otherwise?
Complicated answer to that :laugh:. I've gone through stretches of really liking it and stretches where it's kind of a slog. I'm not a big fan of open world games and while I think From did a great job with it, it still suffers from a lot of the same trappings as other open world games IMO. Like, I don't want to fight 10 different dragons just because they needed to put something in this section of the map. I've gotten to the point where I give each section a once over and just run past any of the tougher enemies if I've already beat one of them before.

That probably sounds more negative than I mean it to. Compared to most games, I think it's great. The boss battles are still challenging and fun (the first time you come across them anyway). Even if I don't use them, having all the different play styles is cool. I liked exploring Limegrave more than I have liked exploring any other open world game. Technical issues aside, the art direction is top notch. Compared to the other FromSoft games I've played (Sekiro, Bloodborne), it's #3, though.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Rammed my head against a wall for an hour and half last night against Melania. I take back everything nice I've said about this game :laugh:

Still haven't beat her. I hate bosses that can one shot you. It gives you no chance to learn the move set let alone how to avoid it. It's difficulty for the sake of being difficult and not nearly as much fun IMO.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Rammed my head against a wall for an hour and half last night against Melania. I take back everything nice I've said about this game :laugh:

Still haven't beat her. I hate bosses that can one shot you. It gives you no chance to learn the move set let alone how to avoid it. It's difficulty for the sake of being difficult and not nearly as much fun IMO.
Gotta stack defense. Dragoncrest greatshield talisman, black flames protection or golden vow (only one), boiled prawn, wondrous physic, armor, and finally, level strength. Physical defense scales primarily with strength.

Stack all these things and you'll have much more survivability.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Gotta stack defense. Dragoncrest greatshield talisman, black flames protection or golden vow (only one), boiled prawn, wondrous physic, armor, and finally, level strength. Physical defense scales primarily with strength.

Stack all these things and you'll have much more survivability.
I finally got her. I went with the glass cannon strategy by using a soreseal, endurance tailsmen, summoned Tiche, bleed grease to go along with my bloodhound fang, and the Dragoncrest tailsman to offset the damage somewhat.

I learned to block the first burst in her big move and then how to dodge the next 2 and that was enough to consistently kick her ass in the first phase. Second phase was still giving me problems, but once I went full on aggression, I got her in a few tries. Didn't even give her a chance to do any of the big moves except for the dive where she turns into a flower. That one was always easy for me to dodge, though.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I finally got her. I went with the glass cannon strategy by using a soreseal, endurance tailsmen, summoned Tiche, bleed grease to go along with my bloodhound fang, and the Dragoncrest tailsman to offset the damage somewhat.

I learned to block the first burst in her big move and then how to dodge the next 2 and that was enough to consistently kick her ass in the first phase. Second phase was still giving me problems, but once I went full on aggression, I got her in a few tries. Didn't even give her a chance to do any of the big moves except for the dive where she turns into a flower. That one was always easy for me to dodge, though.
Soreseal? No way that items worth the defense reduction. How much extra damage did it give you at that point in the game? I stopped using that item at like level 50,

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Soreseal? No way that items worth the defense reduction. How much extra damage did it give you at that point in the game? I stopped using that item at like level 50,
I have no idea. I don't really get into the weeds on the stats. I was just trying so many combinations and this is what ended up working for me.

For the moves I couldn't dodge well, I would just tank them. So other than the 3 burst combo thing that would kill me with or without the extra damage from the soreseal, I wasn't getting hit all that much. Once I learned how to (mostly) dodge the 3 burst combo, it was all about being able to do as much damage as quickly as possible so she couldn't build her health back up with the moves I couldn't dodge. So the added stats from the soreseal made sense to me :dunno: With everything combined, I would basically stun her enough to get 4 or 5 hits off, dodge what I could, block the rest. How much the soreseal helped, I have no idea, but it worked.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I didn’t put any attributes into magic stats. Running with 45 Vig, 50 Str, 30 End, and 30 Dex right now.

Magic isn’t my style, prefer to brawl it out. I’m stuck on that Contender Evergaol guy up in the mountains. He’s fast, has range, and TWO cheesy lightning attacks. f*** that guy!

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I have no idea. I don't really get into the weeds on the stats. I was just trying so many combinations and this is what ended up working for me.

For the moves I couldn't dodge well, I would just tank them. So other than the 3 burst combo thing that would kill me with or without the extra damage from the soreseal, I wasn't getting hit all that much. Once I learned how to (mostly) dodge the 3 burst combo, it was all about being able to do as much damage as quickly as possible so she couldn't build her health back up with the moves I couldn't dodge. So the added stats from the soreseal made sense to me :dunno: With everything combined, I would basically stun her enough to get 4 or 5 hits off, dodge what I could, block the rest. How much the soreseal helped, I have no idea, but it worked.
Yeah you should at least test it on weak enemies. I would be that the soreseal has like zero benefit at high levels. That's gonna be a huge disadvantage.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah you should at least test it on weak enemies. I would be that the soreseal has like zero benefit at high levels. That's gonna be a huge disadvantage.
How's there no benefit? The levels in vigor and endurance might not matter so much (especially since I was using 2 endurance tailsman already), but getting levels in strength and dex with a weapon that scales in strength and dex has to give me more attack power.

Whatever. The run I beat her, I whooped her ass and used probably only 4 or 5 heals. So whatever extra damage I was taking was worth the extra attack power.

If that was putting me at a disadvantage, then it just goes to show you how amazing I am at this game :sarcasm:

I didn’t put any attributes into magic stats. Running with 45 Vig, 50 Str, 30 End, and 30 Dex right now.

Magic isn’t my style, prefer to brawl it out. I’m stuck on that Contender Evergaol guy up in the mountains. He’s fast, has range, and TWO cheesy lightning attacks. f*** that guy!
Same. I put a few in faith early on. Throwing some fireballs came in handy from time to time, but I found it pretty much worthless in boss fights and just standing back casting spells doesn't seem like much fun to me.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
I was invaded and killed while my buddy and I were fighting the draconic tree sentinel. And what pisses me off the most is we almost had him beat after spending two hours of trying.

These forced invasions are pure bullshit.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The quest lines need more structure. They’re way too vague and I shouldn’t have to go to Elden Wiki whenever I want to do something. I appreciate my map looking empty and clean, it’s definitely better than a Ubisoft cluttered mess, but From went too hard the other way. I don’t need my hand held but From kind of forces that inadvertently when I have to look things up step by step anyway

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The quest lines need more structure. They’re way too vague and I shouldn’t have to go to Elden Wiki whenever I want to do something. I appreciate my map looking empty and clean, it’s definitely better than a Ubisoft cluttered mess, but From went too hard the other way. I don’t need my hand held but From kind of forces that inadvertently when I have to look things up step by step anyway
They're genuinely horrible. At least in the other souls games, you could actually do SOME of the questlines during a blind playthrough. Only quest I did in Elden Ring was Roderikas and that was in the first 2 hours of the game.

Apparently Nephelis quest wasn't even finished by launch so basically nobody did it.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
TBH, I don't know why FromSoft even bothers with side quests. The stories are usually too jumbled and spread across too many hours for me to even follow what's going on or know where to go next. Any side quest I've ever done I've just stumbled across by accident or wanted a piece of loot so I looked it up on the Wiki. The loot is at least usually worth it, but they could just as easily make you beat a mini boss for it instead.

But I guess it keeps VaatiVidya employed, so there's that.

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Not my friend. His capital is toast.
Ah I totally forgot about that. However you should try having him put his sign down at the east capital ramparts site of grace. That's the room right before you enter the capital and it's left intact even after the capital burns. A lot of people dont know that though cause the grace gets deactivated when you burn it

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Outside of combat what is the draw of this game? I've never played games like this much, but from some of the streams I've watched there really doesn't seem much to the game beside combat, which seems mostly centered around dodge-rolling around.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Outside of combat what is the draw of this game? I've never played games like this much, but from some of the streams I've watched there really doesn't seem much to the game beside combat, which seems mostly centered around dodge-rolling around.
First time playing a Soul’s game for me. The combat is the draw for sure. Starting out in a huge, open, and incredibly dangerous world where everything wants to violently murder you and learning how to fight them all is really rewarding.

There’s a lot of ways to fight and a lot of ways to explore the world. There are a lot if things I think could be tightened up but the raw danger of the world you’re and the simplicity of it all is awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad